mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Joey Pubs' PMI-II Restoration Help

Hi, My name's Joey, I just recently joined the sheridan community with my 1st pump, the PMI-II. It came in a Very corroded condition and im working on restoring it, then improving it. It is currently Broken down as far as I can get it, It appears the valve is the only part left in the upper receiver,

1. - Im guessing i need the coveted "valve tool" to remove this?
I have the upper receiver area already restored, and now im moving on to the pump and the frame, what I want to know is this:
2 - Is there a known effective and safe way to remove whatever bluish purple anno type color thats on the pump? it appears to be the same stock metallic blue/purple I see in alot of the photos, i want it off, and silver if i could. without damaging the pump.
annnnnnnd the frame has a few chips in the paint, I want to blast all of the paint off and keep it silver as well,
3 - good idea or not?
and in an appeal to one of you salty dogs out there with the manual to this bad boy, if you could do me the hugest solid ever and scan it for me i would be forever in your debt.

thanks to all of you old school sheridan pro's in advance for any info you can provide, it seems most of the sheridan helpful sites have gone down. anyways I'm happy to join your community. take it easy!

-Joey
Joey_Pubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to howling phantom

Im not to sure on how to get rid of the purple/black color ont he parts, but you can find manuels for older sheridans on ebay. Just search "sheridan paintball" and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Good luck
howling phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I believe the pump is anodized aluminum. If you research what chemicals are used to strip old anno you should find something. You could physically remove it by polishing but you will probably have much better results with a chenical dip.

Many people strip the paint off the grip frames and polish them. You can probbaly blast it off or use a chemical paint striper. Then use a fine grit sandpaper to polish it nice and shiny if so desired.

One critical point to note is that both the pump and frame will corrode over time with exposure to the elementsif left as bare metal. To maintain the appearance you will need to continualy polish or coat them with something.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I figured as much, I was thinking maybe an electropolish job and then a nickel plating.. what do you think?

thanks so far fellas.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_Pubs View Post
2 - Is there a known effective and safe way to remove whatever bluish purple anno type color thats on the pump? it appears to be the same stock metallic blue/purple I see in alot of the photos, i want it off, and silver if i could. without damaging the pump.

Anodized parts/pieces can removed by placing them into a solution of Sodium Hydroxide. Alot oven cleaners still contain sodium hydroxide, which will strip the anodized layer off.

You will have to let the pieces soak in the solution for a few minutes (not sure how long). The removed anno will reveil a dull aluminum that will easily scratch, so your better off to have it polished and reanodized clear.

Also keep in mind that safety glasses and thick rubber gloves should be worn for your protection. Losing your eyesight and suffering chemical burns definitely aren't worth stripping the anno off..... so safety first.

As always, if you're unsure on how to properly do this.... then have a professional do it for you.

Proud member of Team IYAOYAS and sponsored by
Planet Eclipse , LCP Army, SobePaintball , Shooting Hot Magazine, Addiction Army, The Ford Report , and Conlee Custom Camo.

When being an Owner just isn't enough, A5OG l X7OG l 98OG l PEOG l IOG
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

great advice, im very grateful!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sheridan