mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Sorry Possum no oney onmy end.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eli
Phat.

Send a message via AIM to Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31c View Post
I found this to be a useful tactic on Speedball -->

Charge straight at them. They usually either:

1) Ignore you since you are "only using" a pistol and they consider you a low priority target or

2) Totally scare the crap out of em

Either way, you can plunk them out at their ten when they become distracted and all that.
This reminds me of the last time I paintballed in California at Hollywood Sports. My buddy Kenny (Wanderlustre) and I got our team all whipped up for a suicide charge down the left tape. I had my trusty PGP and he was totaing his PMI-1. Everybody was jumping up and down, beating their chests, and screaming. The whistle blew and we all broke out as hard and as fast as we could. Unfortunately, our team thought better of things halfway there and all took cover somewhere while Kenny and I continued our rush. There was a small group of renters, just standing out in the open. They stared wide eyed as Kenny and I bore down on them. Rather than raise their guns and shoot an easy target, they turned their backs and ran! Moments like that make getting shot twenty times totally worth it....
Old 03-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
They stared wide eyed as Kenny and I bore down on them. Rather than raise their guns and shoot an easy target, they turned their backs and ran! Moments like that make getting shot twenty times totally worth it....
Before I forget to mention -->

Don't rush them again and again... They usually get in their heads they too can fire back.

Quote:
Unfortunately, our team thought better of things halfway there and all took cover somewhere while Kenny and I continued our rush.

um, I hate to tell you but the real plan was to let you and Kenny continue the charge while the rest of them hide. They ALL make claims "it's a good idea" while they let you make the necessary sacrifices.

pffft to them... It's not like you needed them anyways.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Another thing to remember is that you do have time to take aim. You get to your shooting position faster than the average guy with the average gun, and you can use that momentary advantage by converting that time into a well placed shot. It feels wierd to be exposed since someone who shoots a "normal" marker knows you don't have time to do this when using one, but one of the biggest mistakes people make with pistols is neglecting this advantage because it "feels wrong to be opened up like that."

Moving up quickly works really well if you know you can lose their attention. If they walk past you, you then have the perfect shot on them. If you can't move up without making them paranoid and searching for you, then move up along the flank and try to find momentary advantage in angles while they shoot at your teammates, just make sure not to pop out unless you know they don't have more than one angle on you as well, because if one spots you, one guy can have you essentially pinned by cover fire and effectively neutralized while the remaining opponents continue to play on your teammates..

IMO carrying doubles doesn't mean you have to use them both, using either is fine. It's still nice to have the extra firepower if necessary though. I'm looking to mirror my TAC this season but I couldn't see using both except to make a spectacle of myself, which I intend on doing often.

DeadPossum, you're on for RoR.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Sadly duels are also great for freaking out new players and church groups.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've always enjoyed playing pistol, but I still find new things to learn about it all the time, so it keeps paintball fresh for me.
Personally, I always wear two but mostly use them one at a time because I can reload my primary so fast. It's important to the way I play pistol(painthog style ) that I keep both my guns reloaded and I've really done everything to them that I can, to speed up that reloading process, like a competitor in any firearm pistol venue would do.
A byproduct of that is a ton of 'manual of arms' drill that makes me itchy if I go two weeks without piercing a 12g. It's normal for me to use 10 to 15 co2s a day when I play, especially with fresh ones for chrono and rechrono and game starts and such.
Here's my two days at the Global Conquest Big Game in 2006:

If you can get to a point where you can literally pour paint and co2 into your pistol as fast as you can fire it, then playing pistol becomes something different, more of a lifestyle choice than a handicap. Getting to that point however, takes an obsessive streak a mile wide. Give me another few years!!!

When you break from cover, drawing both guns and being able to shoot with either hand lets you cover two directions at once. Then if a person appears you only have to turn your head and acquire your sights on that side instead of possibly having to pivot or turn your whole torso to bring a single gun to bear and then reacquire the sights on target anyway. Definitely quicker as long as you can hit with either hand. By starting your right hand moving to the target after next immediately after you fire and then switching focus to the left, firing it's shot then moving it, then switching focus back you can engage a higher number of targets than any person with one gun. This is an impractical thing to train, so no military or police would even try to teach it, but in 20 years of paintball a person could start to learn to do it on their own, so why not start now, if you haven't already?

Most of the time I use the second gun as a reserve to fight my way out to a reload spot or as a long range weapon.
I often wear my P68SC pump pistol as a sidearm to my zeus, it has a flexhoned barrel and a Cooper-T undershot bolt(Backspins similar to an A-5 Flatline barrel).
If I get trapped in the second rank or get pinned in a corner of the field, I can usually carry so much further under the overhanging trees at Hell Survivors in Mi with that undershot bolt that I'm able to get some nice eliminations from people who don't believe I could hit them and then I get to catch my breath during the inevitable Chrono check
The TAG8 I've got has really grown on me in the last year as a sidearm to the zeus, because(among many reasons) the magazine is parallel to the ground when the gun is holstered(instead of the balls being stacked vertically like in my zeus or most holstered pistols) it's very gentle on the paint and doesn't crush it in the mag, especially depending on the strength of your mag spring. Usually my gear APPEARS to have rolled down a hill in a barrel or it HAS rolled down a hill in a barrel after every game.

Good times!
Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms