mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Sidearms (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/)
-   -   Tips for Pistoleros... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/11949-tips-pistoleros.html)

Eli 03-02-2007 03:05 AM

Tips for Pistoleros...

MCB's very own AgentSmith has been instrumental in me getting back into using pistols again. My first gun was a PGP and 90% of my guns after that were sidearms. No matter what fancy Cocker I picked up, I always found myself returning to the simplicity my pistol roots...

Practice reloading paint and air on the move.

Maintaining mobility is critical when you limit yourself with a ten round magazine. If you are proficient with reloads and have good field awareness, you'll never feel outgunned.

Know how many shots you have left in your magazine and how much air iin that 12gram.

You absolutely MUST keep track of this. When the time comes for you to do something decisive, you don't want that gun running out of air or paint.

Buy a holster.

You're a lot more maneuverable if you have two free hands...

Check your paint.

This one is straight out of Smith's book. The night before you hit the field, prep your paint as well as your gear. Take the time to examine each ball for roundness and consistency. This really pays dividends when you absolutely have to make "that" shot. If it sounds super anal, remember that you've chosen to place a handicap on yourself and you need to give yourself all the advantages you can.

I think that I've covered most of the fundamentals, but if anyone here has something good to contribute, by all means share it...

Here's some good reading for you gun slingers:
http://durtydan.paintballresource.or...pistolero.html

PsychoBaller 03-02-2007 03:43 AM

Holy sweet bajesus... that was a good read. Tactical move back to the basics!

I never really got into pistols, thought about it many times though. Once a KP2 got into my hands, that was it; stopped at the 12shot pump. Always end-up being point man, recon, report back to the "hosers", hah, and then we bust heads :gunsfiring:

commando kyle 03-02-2007 12:03 PM

My tips-

Be in the front, or be invisible.

As a pistol player, you are basically like a SC player, with different advantages, and different hindrances. In speedball, you should be up front. You dont have a lot of shots to throw from longball range. You need to be on point, snapping out, using your small marker size to your advantage. Make sure your back players are covering you, because if your opponent hears that hiss noise of a 12 gram changing, he may decide to bunker you.

In the woods, dont be seen. Flank, hit, disappear, and repeat. You can cause a lot of damage being in behind the enemy. You are running light and maneuverable, a pistol, some tubes and twelve grams.

You should be able to disappear into the brush whenever you want. Being able to holster your main marker gives you a lot of flexibility in the woods. You can move small branches, get down on all fours easily, and you dont have extra gear hanging off of you to snag brush. Use all that to your advantage.

ScrapIron 03-02-2007 12:08 PM

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again.

If you want to compete with the hopper users when it comes to rate of fire, get yourself a second pistol. set up 10 targets, practice firing both simultaneously, two gunning all 10 targets, but don't stop there. When you run this drill you're also working on your coordination to reholster one of the emptied pistols so you can reload the other with both hands, then finish off any target that wasn't hit from your "two gunning", or just plink every target another time.

Mstrtal 03-02-2007 12:12 PM

I prefer to be invisible. Nothing better then sneaking up behinda guywho is on his knees and shooting him in the arse. Also a small bag, like say a Crown Royal bag looped off your belt is a great place to store spent 12grams and cigar tubes. Gravity helps draw the string tight and keep it closed. Feild owners and staff HATE cleaning up undo mess. Also if you are new to Pistol play and are using a semi like a Zues or Overlord remember to COCK the gun BEFORE you pop a 12 gram in! Also when "droping" a 12gram into the gun make sure you don't just "slam" or shove it in to hard. The pierce pin can and has been known to do its job and peirce the 12 gram if its thrown in to hard and then you have a mini metal projectile. Trust me Refs do NOT find it funny to get slaped in the back of the head with a Co2 rocket. I have found for me the best way is to slide the 12gram in barrel downthen tip the marker up while screwing the changer cap in. With practice you can do this fairly quickly.

doglb 03-02-2007 12:17 PM

those are some good tips, just remember turn pistol shooting into a disipline,
find what works best for you and stick to it, never short change your routine-
and practice, practice, practice!
Pistols are designed for short range-being able to place your shot the first time will make you a better player! Sometimes you wont get a chance for a
2nd shot-make it count.

commando kyle 03-02-2007 12:37 PM

Scrap, I personally think that shooting one pistol at a time provides for much better accuracy. However... Ive ran doubles, and have had a lot of success there. I just hated having to reload two guns at once.

Mstrtal 03-02-2007 05:21 PM

When I can get both of them to crono under the limit I usualy carry 2 guns. Unless things are intense though I try to wield one and then switch when its empty. 20 shots between reloads =) Unless I am in a lull then I just reload wich ever is in hand.

I blame Equlibrium for my attractoin to pistols. That and my Urban upbringing. =P

dead possum 03-02-2007 06:32 PM

I have limited, pistol practice, I can say one thing.. make sure the paint size works well with your clip (too small and it wont feed very well with the spring load pushing it)... on the the same topic.. do you need to periodicly drop some oil on the clip to keep the spring slidding smooth, my overlord has developed a very finicy clip, when reloading. (seams fine when fully loaded, unloading tension)

hey tal / scrap are either of you planning on coming north for the ROR march polor game (3/25/07)? if so I say we have a round or two of pistol only...

dead possum

mike31c 03-02-2007 08:33 PM

I found this to be a useful tactic on Speedball -->

Charge straight at them. They usually either:

1) Ignore you since you are "only using" a pistol and they consider you a low priority target or

2) Totally scare the crap out of em

Either way, you can plunk them out at their ten when they become distracted and all that.