mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Piranha Pistol

I got to fooling around with an older Piranha I had. This actually dates back to before I got my USP and some of this playing around goes back to then as well.

As many of you know there's precious little difference between the USP and a regular basic Piranha. So I thought I might be able to capitalize on that and came up with the main marker pistol conversion that I'm going to try out this summer. As you'll see it has some oddball features but most of it is geared towards giving me a pistol like option that will break me into the whole "mini gun" scenario in stages rather than jumping in with both feet and going with the 10 round tubes and 12gm's right off the bat.

First shot is close to a regular pistol with the CCI Phantom 12 gram quick changer. So far I'm only getting about 15 shots per cartridge. More work needed to optimize it. The cigar tube friction fits into a little friction mounted adapter I made from some PVC tubing. The adapter is actually intended for use with my future Piranha Pump Project but it may well see some action on this setup as well.

clicky to make biggy on any of the pics.

Second shot is the more fuss free option with a 3.5 oz on the adapter and a little 45 shot hopper on an elbow. If this was one of the vertical neck bodies it would be a lot lower profile for this setup. Even with the bottle up front it's easy to use this as a pistol.

Obviously there's some room to play with options here. The most likely one being to combine the tubes with the 3.5 oz bottle.

Next up is a couple of options for using the 3.5 slung low on an ASA and using a bottom line to an ASA to 1/8 adapter. The line and adapter isn't show but you can get the idea. First is bottle foward. This is a bit less nose heavy than the last shot but both are very useable with a two handed tensioned grip on the frame. No bottle support required with either option.

And bottle to the rear. I like this better since the setup balances perfectly in the upper middle of the grip and it leaves my lower grip hand free to hold with my other hand to tension and steady the setup.

LIkely I'll use one of my vertical feed bodies to avoid the blocking of the view that the power feedneck gives and also to get rid of the elbow and high mount location of the hopper. With the VF body the hopper sockets right in of course and it's a nice compact setup.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I had a setup like that, that I used when my pistols were down or loaned out:

I gave mine away to a loving home last year, but you'll love that setup!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I sure hope so. I like the idea of the mobility but I'm a bit put off by the swapping 12gram cartridges. Need to taper into it....
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Switching back and forth until you get instinctive with your 12g changes and such is a great way to go. I always say you have to live to learn! If you're out because you got caught in a change all the time, it's hard to improve the other parts of your game. Confidence will come with practice.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Maybe chop down the barrel to make it shorter and more pistol like?
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

Palmers Fan
My piranha has a 5" barrel from JCS

http://www.bp-usa.com/Spyder.htm
26.00 isn't bad, I traded a VM to get mine.

Also, I got a compliment on how accurate the stubby barrel was when I was using it at Blanding last month. Really I was just getting pretty lucky with some of my long range lob shots.

One thing that the shorter barrel is good for was clearing rooms, at one point me and 5 other guys all gained entry to one room of a good sized building, had everyone else look at me and ask me to clear the other rooms. Which I did, unfortunately I moved too slow and by the time we got to the other side of the building we saw a couple guys from the other team buging out the back door, but they weren't running quite fast enough.

anyway, nice piranha and nice mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms