mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Question Pistol Feedback

Need some input from everyone. I am looking to buy a used pistol to use as a sidearm or possibly use as a primary weapon if I am up for a challenge. In your opinion what would be the best bet for a used pistol based on reliability, performance, and price? I 've read several reviews and it seems getting a good seal on the co2 is the biggest issue with some pistols. I am hoping to pick up something around the 50-75 price range. Thanks!
Raven X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

need more feedback than that... if you can afford it. tiberius or tippman are your best options. picking up for 50-70 bucks is the piranha.. uhhh yeah... get a SA-17 and let us know what you think of it :P
slingshotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
I haven't had quite as much experience with pistols as other members of this board and have only played with Tiberius products but I've found them to be absolutely top notch. I would save up for a used T8 or something and have some mag fed fun. If you want to keep it on the cheap though I believe Titus has some splatmasters though I may well be mistaken.
tiny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Well, I would advise looking around through some of the threads that are on the first page of the forum already, as similar discussions are already being held.

With your price range, you are pretty much limiting yourself to older pistols, 90% of which will be of the "stacked tube blowback" variety, similar to a Spyder. Many of these are foreign made and a lot of the time quality and tolerances can be questionable. And just because they are of similar construction doesn't mean they are made to be cross-compatible, so many are difficult to find parts for.

For that reason alone I always recommend the Zeus over any other STBB pistol. O-rings are all tank-sized, cupseals are available from Alamo City Paintball, and pierce pins (one of the more common wear items after o-rings) are compatible with CCI phantom pins, which are still available. With just a few mods the Zeus can be brought to nearly-competitive status with the newer mag-feed pistols and is generally more gas efficient, meaning more shots per cartridge. For your price range I'm pretty sure its the best pistol you can get, barring someone finding a Squall in their basement, not knowing what it is and putting it on Craigslist lol.

Here is mine. The CO2 chamber is milled so the 12g's can easily fall out of the side when the plug is unscrewed, and the mag is modified by milling a hole toward the front, so that when the follower is retracted, you just dump a 10-round tube in the hole, tilt the gun back, and presto! You're reloaded. Currently I'm running this on a remote line with a 9oz. CO2 tank on my belt, and find that even though it decreases mobility slightly, not having to focus on changing cartridges allows me to be more effective on the field. This has so far been the most reliable pistol I've ever owned, TPX, T8, T8.1, Ariakon ACP 2.0 included.

Reliability-wise, some pistols to absolutely avoid:

Ariakon ACP 2.0- I owned two and I think I got 50 shots out of each before a failure. Replaced every part in them and still could never get them working right.

Delta .68- I think hands-down, the most "how do I fix this?"-type posts I've ever seen in regards to a pistol directly reference the Delta .68.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 09-22-2010 at 02:52 AM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPB-Rogue View Post
Delta .68- I think hands-down, the most "how do I fix this?"-type posts I've ever seen in regards to a pistol directly reference the Delta .68.
sorry, i'm partially at fault there.

but i just bought a second one to dual wield, because frankly they are the coolest looking pistols, ever.

but yeah don't buy them. i can fix spyders easy and yet i have no idea why these things are more finicky even though the design is the same. definitely aren't good guns stock. get another pistol than this.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
USP is a good gun in that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

I've owned a few pistols, currently still own a few.

PGP
Splatmaster
Ariakon Overlord
Zeus
Zeus G2

If i was to recommend something for you, Id say the Zeus G2, followed by Zeus, then Overlord. The STBB pistols are awesome, and with a few mods like the Rogues up above, can re-load quick, and re-air quick, and keep up with the more "modern" pistols. The Zeus G2 is almost identical to the Zeus, with a couple added rails for scopes and such, the big thing on the G2, is it came with an 8" barrel, and a 2" barrel, which i noticed helped accuracy, and efficiency over the Zeus. The Overlord was a badass looking pistol, and the spring fed mags, were actually really quick to swap.

Zeus G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
You're getting a USP in the 50-75 range unless you find a deal.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
You're getting a USP in the 50-75 range unless you find a deal.
The USP wasn't too bad, never owned one, did play with one though, the flip lever in the front was problematic, though.

I picked up my Zeus G2 for $80, with an extra mag, and a leg holster. It was a deal/steal/god send, whatever....but it can happen!!!

But, for $50-$75 range....The USP is the most you'll probably end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

The Zeus in the pic I snagged off of ebay for $100 but it came with extra parts and mags. I have an original Armotech Zeus with the two lines of straight porting and no threading at the tip of the barrel that I bought from Luke for $50. So I'd say its close enough to his priced range if he shops around and keeps his eyes peeled.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms