mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone actually carry a sidearm AS a sidearm?

I've had a PGP for years, and a holster, and use it often, but other than one time I don't recall ever actually trying to carry it on the field as a secondary gun.

Does anyone actually do this?
What are you going to do with your main gun if it's not working?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I've carried either one of my Zeuses or the SA17 as a sidearm when I run with the DSG, and that's really it... Since my DSG vest has the scabbard on the back where I can stash it away its the only way it makes sense, IMO...

Only other time I've done it was for the TTPL since in that tournament gun hits only kill the gun, not the player. So I was using my Squall and the SA17 interchangeably at that one. Wound up actually needing it a few times too. But other than that I think it is pretty rare. I know I've probably only seem maybe 3 people do it at all the big games I've been to over the last 5 years. To me, it's never made much sense anyway, since most people DON'T have a way to carry their primary while shooting a sidearm, and since most games are instant respawn or short window respawns, it makes more sense to just leave the game, fix the problem (or swap to a backup gun) and then come back in.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

In a lot of larger games, or certain game 'scenarios' I carry my T8 along with a 'primary'

Reason being is that sometimes, in an intense firefight or while moving, its either a lot slower or damn near impossible to reload a hopper. Especially on the run/moving. For those type of games where I might be forced to trade a lot of paint on the go, I carry the second marker for convenience sake.

It's helped me in at least one game too, running a 16oz tank on my rainmaker, then shooting it dry in the middle of a firefight. pulled the pistol and tagged somebody hoping for an easy surrender.

most of the time though, i run pistol as primary or regular marker as primary and forget the second marker.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
No, seriously. I'd buy a pump/bolt-action First Strike "long gun" and still carry the pistol as a close-in weapon.

To answer your question: the long gun would be on a sling, on my back when not in use.
This is actually the only reason I've ever carried a "sidearm". T9.1 on a sling with FS, and my 8 pistol in the drop leg holster with paintballs. The two days I did that though was like a big joke... I'd get shot every time I tried to switch to the pistol. I'd think ... nah I'm too close for bothering with a FS round. Sure enough, I'd get shot somewhere in the process of slinging the 9.1 around to my back and pulling out the pistol. That's what I get for being cheap.

Though, if you count dual pistoling as sidearm use, then I do it all the time. I'll primarily use my right hand pistol, keeping the lefty pistol at the ready in case I run out of ammo or get a ball break at the wrong moment. This has been beneficial too many times to count. The joy from the few times I've one handed lefty shot people makes up for any inconvenience of hauling 2 pistols.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bolt Action/Pistol Player

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I always carry a sidearm (PGP/TPX/007) when I'm playing with my K2 vs semi's, just in case I get rushed while out of paint/co2. It has saved me many times.

As for what I do with my primary...my K2 has a sling.

S.C.A.R. - The Simulated Combat Association of Rhode Island - S.C.A.R. on Facebook - My MCB Feedback - Meet "The Devil's Brass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorman47 View Post
The devil's brass uses an evil sighting system powered by juju obtained from the deep and ominous laughter from the gun's owner himself.......seriously playing in a game against Born4Evil , and you see him sneaking your way, then BAM and all you hear is something to the effect of "Haha can't get away from the Devil's Brass!" Born4Evil seriously sounds like the devil himself, and its awesome. That gun is hands down the most badass gun in my mind.
Born4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
A friend of mine used his sidearm (a Tac 8, I *think*) to great effect during a scenario game last year. After running out of paint, he drew it and rushed a bunker, taking out 2-3 people in a last ditch attack.

I can see their value in longer scenario games, but I would personally rather carry more paint in its place, maintain my marker to the point of not needing a sidearm, and practice loading paint fast. In short games and rec play, I would have more fun using a pistol as a primary. In most games, if my primary does crap out, I continue to play unarmed as recon.

Most people I have seen/played with have a sidearm only as a novelty or an accessory for their MILSIM gear, rather than as a practiced and utilized piece of equipment.

Last edited by idkfa; 11-27-2010 at 11:07 PM.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

I also carry a tiberius 8.1 as a backup/sidearm and use my A5 as a primary.

I put a combat sling on my A5. So when I don't want to use the A5, it hangs right in front of me, allowing me to easily draw and use my T8.1.

I only have one backup magazine for the T8.1 though. So I really have to make my shots count.

"It sure would be nice if we got a day off for the president's birthday, like they do for the queen. Of course, then we would have a lot of people voting for a candidate born on July 3 or December 26, just for the long weekends." [Jack Handy]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
My "brother"

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
A friend of mine used his sidearm (a Tac 8, I *think*) to great effect during a scenario game last year. After running out of paint, he drew it and rushed a bunker, taking out 2-3 people in a last ditch attack.

I can see their value in longer scenario games, but I would personally rather carry more paint in its place, maintain my marker to the point of not needing a sidearm, and practice loading paint fast. In short games and rec play, I would have more fun using a pistol as a primary. In most games, if my primary does crap out, I continue to play unarmed as recon.

Most people I have seen/played with have a sidearm only as a novelty or an accessory for their MILSIM gear, rather than as a practiced and utilized piece of equipment.
instead of the space used in a pistol and holster......why not just carry another pod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
I am a fag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
thats what happens when i leave mcb up at work.....
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
That's what I said.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
instead of the space used in a pistol and holster......why not just carry another pod?
From the way I read it, it was more about if there's a problem with the A5 than if he runs out of paint.

Something else I love about carrying two markers... ability to hand it off to a friend if their marker goes down.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms