mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

I just have to say ... I love you guys.

What other place can you get such clear and honest opinions and discussions on paintball pistols? I think it's clear we love pistols and limited paint play far more than just loving our particular choice of gear.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooAddict View Post
I just have to say ... I love you guys.

What other place can you get such clear and honest opinions and discussions on paintball pistols? I think it's clear we love pistols and limited paint play far more than just loving our particular choice of gear.
7usabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would like to add one thought about this:

Quote:
T9/9.1/8/8.1 - 12 gram setup great for quick games when you will only use the paint you have loaded into your mags. You setup your 12 grams in the mags between games, knowing what the max # of shots you'll have going into it. Popping in a fresh mag of paint also has the air needed to shoot it. No worrying about running out of air mid-game. No need for having a separate pouch for holding 12 grams, or dump pouch/pocket for spent 12s. You already planned it out paint/air with the magazine count and pouches. One big $cost$ negative here is that at the end of the day you'll usually have X number of partially used 12 grams. Compared to the TPX that you'd at worst only have 1 partially used 12 gram. At an average price of 40-50 cents a 12 gram that can add up over days of play to real $$.
I've heard this alot and I've rarely pointed out the logical flaw to anyone, as it provokes people, but here on MCB I think it's worth the try.

With a T8/9 mag you have co2 in the mag for 3 loads(generally).
For that co2 you're carrying to mean ANYTHING except dead weight, you have to reload that mag with paint on the field.
Why have mags at all if you have to reload paint into something often on the field? The point of mags is that you can slap more in and keep going, otherwise a toptube is an easier method to deal with overall.
This is why my T8 was a sidearm to my zeus. If I have to pour paint into something during battle, the frontload modded zeus and it's 10rd tubes was a better, faster choice to keep a high rate of fire, over a longer time. Even with 6 T8 mags, I found it inefficient.

With my current rig I can carry 12TPX mags on my belt and another 12 on my pants if necessary(they've 2 more sets of loops on back pockets):

IF AND ONLY IF I go through 24 mags, then and only then do I have to pour paint into a mag on the field.

So 24 mags with my old 6 T8mag setup would be 4 loads in each mag, so I'd pierce 6 co2s and reload 18 mags with paint while on the field, for 24 total loadings.
With a TPX and 24 mags, I'd pierce 12 co2s and reload NO mags with paint for 12 total loadings.

24 TPX mags weigh only slightly more than 6 T8 mags

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 12-09-2010 at 06:23 PM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
IF AND ONLY IF I go through 24 mags
And I thought I had lots of mags (16)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
I would like to add one thought about this:

I've heard this alot and I've rarely pointed out the logical flaw to anyone, as it provokes people, but here on MCB I think it's worth the try.

With a T8/9 mag you have co2 in the mag for 3 loads(generally).
For that co2 you're carrying to mean ANYTHING except dead weight, you have to reload that mag with paint on the field.
It works ... I can't tell you how it works for everyone ... but I can tell you how it works for me.

You are assuming everyone needs to reload mags on the field mid-game.

The 3 separate loads of the mag are 3 separate games. I play a very tight limited paint setup for the 15 minute games I'm usually playing. Using no more than 6 mags worth (48 rounds) a game. When I eject a mag ... I don't carry the "dead weight" with me on the quick games. It stays on the ground till I'm shot out or the game is over. Towards the end of the game I will even drop the second pistol if it's out of ammo and I'm going to try something crazy.

I most often carry 2 Pistols with 6 mags total and bring a pursuit pod and/or 100 round pod with me to the field (leaving it at the deadbox or flag area). The fields I frequent run 1, 2, or at most 3 games to a set before the refs walk everyone back to staging for reloading paint/air … the pursuit pod or 100 round pod are enough to refill my 6 mags between matches.

Using this method you only worry about CO2 changes and refilling magazines between games. In-game you only have what you've gotten ready ahead of time.

For the one long game I've played with Tib 8's, I brought 6 extra 12 grams. So I have two full sets of mags worth of CO2 … I shoot through all my mags fully, before hunkering down in a bunker to reload the mags with a pursuit pod/100 round pod combo. For the long game, I also kept the spent mags with me. This extra “dead weight”, especially in a dual pistol setup, is why I agree the TPX's 12 gram system and lighter mags could be better for the long or giant scenario games.

For me it's all about the quick games... Went out and played 15+ times this year. And only twice did I play in a very long scenario style game. Once with the 8's, and once with a 9.1 and first strikes. Loved the FS … but prefer pistol sized play and mobility. Next year I hope my budget allows me to shoot many more FS rounds.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache

Last edited by VooDooAddict; 12-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

We play 6, 15 minute games during a normal Open Play session(either 10am-1pm or 3pm to 6pm), however it's not uncommon in the past for teams to be 50-100 a side, this last year 20-50. It not uncommon for me to have to reload mags on the field as I use the pant loops for dump space in open play and carry only 14 mags usually. I routinely shoot 100-150 paintballs at folks in that 15 minutes if I don't run out of targets first

It's a chicken or egg question. Does a person get comfortable with the gun they get or get the gun they're comfortable with?
Most of us go to the types of positions on the field where we have success, the more we experience those situations, the better we get at them and the more confident we get in them and so on until we get so confident in the situation that we realize we could get by with less gun and switch to pistol or pump.
I loved pistols before I loved paintball, so for me they've been the only choice from the beginning.

I didn't play the same game with my 3357 and a shield that I am now with a TPX and a shield. I have adapted my strategy and tactics to the longer range and greater accuracy. You definitely have adapted to your system just as well.

The point I was trying to illustrate was that the 'co2 in the mag' being an advantage is true in some situations and definitely not others. It can't be counted as a blanket advantage of the T8/9s, but is simply part of what makes the two so different from each other.

That's why it's so important, as you and I and the rest all suggested, for the OP to play a few games in HIS world before commiting to one or the other. Things I love, you loathe and things you treasure, I trash
We're both totally right of course, that's what makes life so fun, more than one right answer...

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Unseen

Send a message via AIM to Vitamin J

Can you run a remote line out the back of the T8 or does it have to plug into a mag? I haven't been able to put my TPX down since I got the remote adapter. I can barely even tell the remote is there and I haven't had to deal with those damn 12 grams!

Also with the TPX you can drop a ball into the breach before loading up a mag so you can start the game with 8 rounds (or 9 if you use the older mags).

Also, agentSmith, do you have any problems with paint falling out of your mags upside down like that? I kept my mags upside down in the pouches but stopped after I noticed they were dropping 2 or 3 balls out, even with the slider locked. I run the 7 round mags so maybe they're looser.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
Can you run a remote line out the back of the T8 or does it have to plug into a mag? I haven't been able to put my TPX down since I got the remote adapter. I can barely even tell the remote is there and I haven't had to deal with those damn 12 grams!

Also with the TPX you can drop a ball into the breach before loading up a mag so you can start the game with 8 rounds (or 9 if you use the older mags).

Also, agentSmith, do you have any problems with paint falling out of your mags upside down like that? I kept my mags upside down in the pouches but stopped after I noticed they were dropping 2 or 3 balls out, even with the slider locked. I run the 7 round mags so maybe they're looser.
no remote line through the back on the T8, there is an adapter comin out febuary 29th 2011 for the T8.1 though. also...you can also drop a ball into the breach of the t8 when you start the game

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

In my experience, the T8 is sucky to play with. My problem is that I prefer to use crossman 12ies because they are cheap and easy to come by. I have two walmarts, a gander mountain, and a dicks sporting goods all within 10 minutes from my house.

When on the field, I had one mag that had a dud 12ie in it, and another that I accidently didn't get seated right when putting it in and the 12ie drained itself. Not only does that make you have to put in a new mag, but the paint you were relying on that air in that mag to shoot is now worthless, unless you plan on throwing it at someone.

The T8 itself is a nice pistol, but I think the TPX would be significantly better.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber_Ghost View Post
In my experience, the T8 is sucky to play with. My problem is that I prefer to use crossman 12ies because they are cheap and easy to come by. I have two walmarts, a gander mountain, and a dicks sporting goods all within 10 minutes from my house.

When on the field, I had one mag that had a dud 12ie in it, and another that I accidently didn't get seated right when putting it in and the 12ie drained itself. Not only does that make you have to put in a new mag, but the paint you were relying on that air in that mag to shoot is now worthless, unless you plan on throwing it at someone.

The T8 itself is a nice pistol, but I think the TPX would be significantly better.
Then if you had a tpx, you would have had to put in the dud, shot, realized you had a dud, take it out. then put in another one, then put in the co2 (lets say wrong some how (idk even how you do that in the tpx OR t8))

then...... you have to take that out, and put in another co2 cartridge.

while with the t8, you just take it out, and put in a new one on one of the mags, not both.

anyways, if you had more then 2 mags, you would've MOST likely had one that'd work, meaning you would have just had to pop out the mag, and put in a new one, unlike with the co2. plus you don't have to carry any extra co2 with you.
7usabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber_Ghost View Post

Order Leland 12ies in bulk ... cheaper and better. I only use left over Crossmans for testing in the back yard. I never trust them for a game.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms