mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sneaky Little Bastid #3

Palmers Fan
CJ when you do hone the Dux let us know what the verdict is, as I have ordered a 1200LA hone and am slightly doubting if there will be any difference, except for the last 1.25" of the actual barrel, as the first 5" is tymcneer brass goodness.
PB Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've seen that pic and it always made me sad.
You know I had to con a Chief of Police into ordering one with my 'donation', just so I could BORROW it to ______ play with?!?!?!

Ok for Mr Le-De-Da Kaye to run around with them, HE decided nobody wanted one. He decided YOU and I didn't want one. Fun for him, no fun for me.

All he had to do was put a lever changer under the barrel and redo the original air chamber above the valve to assist with anti-siphon and he had a great pistol.
There will come a day in not too many years when more tiberius T8s have been sold than AGD's total input to the market, all markers combined.
No way around it, they totally blew that one.

Just another company who bought into speedball. A company can't stay alive on speedball. Look at Smart Parts and look at Tippmann. Everybody likes to look too cool for school and sneer at what isn't state of the art.
Like the man says:
Quote:
Extraordinary skills require extraordinary efforts, not extraordinary means
The effort makes you better not the means. Bill Gardner had the state of the art of his company in his hands in the SPPL, when I shot him in the back of the head from over 100' feet away and down a cliff with a $100 hong-kong pistol.
I'm not criticizing in the slightest PEOPLE who play speedball, I do too, it's fun. It's simply a dumbass business model for a company with 0% chance of long term success.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
tea, a cause and effect

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
Paintball is a market in which pistols can be uniquely successful.

EVERY paintball marker - pistol, machine-gun, rifle, whatever - has the same handicap:
Launching an imperfect, gelatin sphere at <300fps.

I'm not sure the manufacturers "get" this but as long as they make guns and people use them, we're building a community knowledge-base of what their capabilities are.

Best marketing photo for AGD pistols right here:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...1&d=1294022087

FYI, I hit the Redux barrel with an 800AO flex hone tonight. The 1200LA is still on order with Acklands-Grainger but that'll be the final hone before some field testing.
hmm one more thing for my goblin project(flex hone) also ty for my new back ground lol
So long as its under 18 and over 8 I dont care what it is really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef97 View Post
Oh boy...I love wood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
well - just like my sex life, I have taken matters into my own hands:
chadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Twin-Gun Terror

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Great read, really useful advice.
Much obliged!
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've been looking into ordering a flex hone but the only company in the uk that stocks flex hones do not stock the paintball hone.
They did offer me an alternative.
From their email.
"We currently hold stock of the BC 18mm Levigated Alumina – Extra Fine, however the standard length of this product is 8”, this would need to be extended to 16” in order for it to match the dedicated paintball gun hone, this would be a zista tube which will not have a plastic coating. We do offer an extension service on our products which is shown in the below quote".

My question is, given the price they want to charge me 50 (Roughly $80) is it worth it?
Would the improvement in accuracy on a T68 Pistol and a SA-17 be worth the cost?

Thanks
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

In an overbored pistol like those(both average .691) the jump in accuracy is noticeable and for the barrels of the pistols you mentioned 8" would be long enough. That's a lot of cash for it though... They're 39.99 in the US for the 16". Maybe someone could order you one here and ship it to you, the order time for the 1200LAs is 4-6 weeks though.
18mm is 70 cal, it should work for those pistols but may take off more material, I'd do 5 down and back strokes at a time and check it, 10 should be plenty.

My zeus' were all flexhoned and in side by side comparisons were far more accurate at long range. Short range to 30 feet it didn't show as much...

Rob

Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Well after a long stint of umming an aring I've ordered the flexhone.

I figured as I wasn't going to upgrade to better markers any time soon I might as well get a tool that can make an improvement to the performace of the ones I have. I'm looking at a 4-6 week wait though.

Any advice on what lubricant to use?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

I use regular marker oil usually, though the other choices CJOttawa listed will work as well.
The superfine hone doesn't take off much material per pass, so it doesn't generate much heat at all, however the oil keeps the hone fresh and helps with what heat does develop!

Rob

Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice.

Job done, was very scared of messing it up but I had a practice barrel to try out.
Will know this Saturday if I have done it right and see how much of a difference it makes to my overall accuracy. I imaging I'll have to adjust to the difference but looking forward to trying it out.

Quick question though, does honing the barrel like this improve accuracy just using CO2 or does it help when running on HPA?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
ROARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteweasel View Post

Quick question though, does honing the barrel like this improve accuracy just using CO2 or does it help when running on HPA?
I don't think it should matter too much on the air source. It should still be the same paintball traveling down the same path. Kind of like putting premium vs 87 in you're gas tank.

Thanks Agentsmith, all this reading convinced me to get a 800la flexhone.
Ziggymarley is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms