mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Beats me but the results I've had are hard to argue against.
Yes, same here. Maybe I didn't explain it properly...
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteweasel View Post
Sorry I have yet another question what with being new to this type of barrel setup. I was speaking about the pro's of using a flex honed barrel on another forum when a poster who is actually quite an experianced engineer and has been playing and making paintball markers for quite a while now said that using a flexhone is the worst possible thing you can do to a barrel!.

He explained that the hone would either ruin the finish on your barrel if it was coated in teflon or would make the barrel too smooth and increase friction.
Maybe I didn't explain the process properly but he was adament that it was bad advice to give out or suggest.

I'm pretty happy with the results I have had but its hard to argue with an engineer with 30 years experiance making and modifying paintball markers.
Any thoughts on this? Surely not all barrels have teflon coating?

Thanks
Hmmm.
Well, the good news is that he's wrong. You are not hallucinating.

I'm glad you triggered a memory of something that should be added here!
I do not recommend using a flex hone on coated barrels like the J&J ceramic. It will, simply put, eat your hone. the ceramic is too hard.
Teflon, however, would simply be removed. And good riddance to it because it doesn't belong in a paintball barrel.

Please tell him: "A plateaued finish is the best for paintball. The smaller the size of any irregularity and higher the percentage of surface area inside the barrel that is smooth consistent plateau, the more accurate until you reach a point where overqualification sets in."
Don't blame him, it took me a bit to convince the president of the Michigan Microscopy and Microanalysis Society, who happens to be my own teammate, as well.

Right now there are only 2 groups in the world that create barrels at or above this 'overqualification point'. The owners of SiteMfg, makers of Stiffi Carbon Fiber barrels and anyone who's purchased a $40 1200LA hone.

If he's not convinced, you could link him to I found my old flex hone . I personally hope to never visit the subject again.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #33 (permalink)

Thanks Agent Smith, I think I'm going to try and get him to use my pistol if he is ever at a scenario same time as me, try and convince him that way!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Sorry I have yet another question what with being new to this type of barrel setup. I was speaking about the pro's of using a flex honed barrel on another forum when a poster who is actually quite an experianced engineer and has been playing and making paintball markers for quite a while now said that using a flexhone is the worst possible thing you can do to a barrel!.

He explained that the hone would either ruin the finish on your barrel if it was coated in teflon or would make the barrel too smooth and increase friction.
Maybe I didn't explain the process properly but he was adament that it was bad advice to give out or suggest.

I'm pretty happy with the results I have had but its hard to argue with an engineer with 30 years experiance making and modifying paintball markers.
Any thoughts on this? Surely not all barrels have teflon coating?

Thanks
I would just tell him that if engineers knew so much mechanics wouldn't exist...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

If I were going that way I might say it's affected by the orbit of the sun around our flat little earth...

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #36 (permalink)

Well I cracked out the od hone again.
I did my stock tibby 8.1 barrel and two auto cocker barrels i got for the DRV.

An interesting thing I found though. For the DRV i picked up three autococker threaded barrels. A stock auto cocker barrel (not sure which autococker it came from) an ST Ranger autococker barrel and a lapco AC threaded barrel. After cleaning all three barrels ready for honing i had a quick squint down each barrel.
I immediately noticed a big difference between the Lapco AC barrel and the other two. The Lapco barrel looked all shiny and smooth where as the other two barrels were dull in comparison.
I decided to leave the Lapco barrel and just hone the other two. Once finished I had another look and compared them.

The two newly honed barrels shone almost as much as the lapco barrel. Infact I could not tell them apart just looking at the internal bore.

Of course I had to try all three now. After 70 shots spread over three barrels I could not tell the difference in spread pattern. Put simply they all shot as good as each other. Later after playing all day, switching between the three barrels (I was using them all as they were different bore sizes so I could match paint a little) I could find no dicernable difference in accuracy at all ranges. The two barrels I had honed were as good as the lapco barrel.

I'm also not the only one who loves my hone now. I had a friend give me his BT Omega to get working right. Silly dude had never taken it apart or cleaned it in three years!. Anyway after cleaning and oiling etc, I honed his barrel for him.
After trying it out I believe he said something along the lines of " what have you done to it? its amazing now!"
Old 05-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Here's a question: does anybody know what a flexhone would do to a brass barrel? With brass generally being smooth and accurate as it is - would a flexhone somehow improve on that?
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #38 (permalink)

Wolfman, i'm not 100% sure but after briefly trying your nelly I got the impression it may already have been done! Check with Smiley as it was his work.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #39 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Wolfman, i'm not 100% sure but after briefly trying your nelly I got the impression it may already have been done! Check with Smiley as it was his work.
Ah I see! Well it was actually the PGP I was thinking of, just because I'm a stickler for messing with things that haven't yet been modified!
Man, if it would make it anything like the Nelly...
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #40 (permalink)

Well if it will work i'll bring the flexhone along next time i'm at YPC for ya.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms