mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #41 (permalink)

For a laugh and in my quest to blow the perfect smoke ring using my electronic cigarette i thought I would try blowing smoke down the Lapco barrel. The results a pretty cool. With the right amount of puff the smoke emerges in a perfect circle that is clearly visible. What else is visible is how the smoke (vapour actually) is behaving.
The ring rolls from the inside out. As in if you took a cross section of smoke it would be a cylinder and it would roll bacward from the inside of the donut to the outside. God this is hard to describe, I think a video is in order.
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by biteweasel View Post
Well if it will work i'll bring the flexhone along next time i'm at YPC for ya.
That'd be much appreciated man, thank you!

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #43 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Here's a question: does anybody know what a flexhone would do to a brass barrel? With brass generally being smooth and accurate as it is - would a flexhone somehow improve on that?
For brass I get an old barrel swab and put some mother's mag polish on it and run it through the barrel and then wash it out with warm water.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #44 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Ah cool thanks for the tip.

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw

Quote:
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #45 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Think of brass like other metals, it needs polishing to stay shiny.

Current Projects: SP-1 with Dye DAM mags and 150 Round Magna RF DAM Box Mag | Delta .68 pistol | Spyder MR1
Previous guns: Two Tan and Black Modified TM7's (1) (2) | Ariakon ACP 2.0 | Zeus G2+
Scougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
MCB Member

The flexhone works fine on brass and steel. It will obviously wear the flexhone out faster than aluminum and may double the strokes to get the same finish.

Crimson, why not just drive over my house and stab me with a knife.
Brasso on a swab works on a scratch by rubbing at the edges until it turns the small scratch into a depression that's big enough that your eye can't recognize.
I'd prefer my barrel to be completely round inside.

Standard disclaimer: I demand the UTMOST accuracy from my guns, good enough is not good enough for me. When I say 'it's better' or 'I can tell', I base that on shooting clamped down groups. Not on a visual inspection of the barrel. When I'm honing a barrel at the field, I look at it to verify I don't miss anything, but I'm really going more off counted strokes and the feel as the hone travels based on what I've learned from past experiments.

My personal opinion is that eyes on the barrel finish are nowhere near good enough for this job.
By the time the ball has traveled 4 or 5 inches in the barrel it is at full speed. A waterballoon going 200mph down a pipe.
Things far too small to see make the difference. Obviously anything big enough to see is a huge problem but the finish will be improved even in a new barrel that hasn't got a scratch enough that you can tell when shooting it.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #47 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Well, it took me a few years to learn the benefit of a flexhone, but I'm converted now!

Biteweasel very kindly did my SA-17 for me, and I was blown away by the difference - it's got that "ball-on-ball" feel that I get from firing single-action brass.
First 4 shots went wild, I'm assuming it needed "breaking in" or some residue that was left, but after that I went through the full CO2 cartridge literally hitting the same spot until it began to taper off as it ran dry.

Can't wait to give it ago against some non-paper opponents!

Quote:
Old 07-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
MCB Member

Good on ya Wolfman!

The change keeps growing. Because your shots are more consistent, your instinctive aiming gets better feedback and very soon even separated from a honed barrel, you will shoot better!
Not that you'll let that happen too often if you're like me!!!

I'm happy you're happy!!!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms