mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

How to get the most from your newly honed pistol

In the thread "I found my old FlexHone" I posted the following quote, I have said this more than a few times, so forgive me for pasting myself. I will expand on it a bit more after.

Quote:
Quote:
The boildown is that vortex shedding causes little tornadoes to form on the surface of a round projectile which slam it back and forth with between 1 to 3 G's of force in a random direction perpendicular to the direction of travel. This means if you bolt down your gun indoors and fire it at a wall 60 feet away, the pattern will ALWAYS be a donut, as the chances of all the vortices canceling each other out and leaving the paintball on it's original trajectory are almost nonexistent. So, if you are aiming at someone 30 feet away, you're way more likely to hit them in five shots if you aim six inches to the left of their head instead of right at them. powerful stuff!

knowing that much and observing so many single paintballs going downrange, I realized something else. The vortices interact with the wind. The wind tends to counteract vortices going against it and assist vortices going away and that's why paintballs SEEM so affected by wind. and that's why flatline barrels work at 15,000 RPM when actual lift from spin would require 70,000RPM. The spin on the flatlined balls counteracts vortices that try to push the ball down and help ones that push the ball up. Some of the shots that I routinely make on people at distances of 80 feet or more(yes I have witnesses) would make you laugh out loud if you could see where I was actually having to aim! Most people don't believe the paintball will veer so much, so they aim in the wrong spots and never hit a thing.

By aiming to put people 'on the donut' instead of aiming right at them, you will increase your hit percentage. However doing that requires understanding that the 'donut' is there, learning how big it is at a given range for your pistol and learning to read the wind like a sniper so that you will know what section of arc in the 'donut' will be the most likely to take a majority of the hits. Friends that used the 'turn it on and walk it in' method, eventually learned to do this by instinct, but once I demonstrated it in person and they understood WHY they were doing what they were doing, their incidences of first shot hits got higher and higher... and their hoppers got smaller and smaller.. until they were playing pistol too.

Most people think of an accurate paintgun as shooting like this:

And an inaccurate paintgun as shooting like this:

When the truth is that, an inaccurate paintgun shoots like this(not to scale with previous pics or even with itself, these drawings are only meant to illustrate the point):

An accurate paintgun, with the minimum of extra variables like turbulence or spin, should shoot like this:

In a situation with a 5mph wind coming from picture left the pattern would look like:

This should make it clear that adjusting your point of aim after each shot would actually sabotage you and keep you from developing the maximum accuracy of which your pistol is capable. The idea is to figure what portion of the circle is taking the most hits based on the wind, point your pistol so that the desired portion of arc is covering the target and hold it still as you continue firing, waiting for chance to bring a ball to that portion of the arc. In this way your brain has a set calculation to make with fairly clear variables. As you develop a sniper's sense of the wind between you and your target you will need to shoot even less.

This is why shot to shot consistency overrides alot of other variables for me in the choice of a pistol. I had a good feel for the shootdown in both my zeus and my T8, I could even keep them straight going together one per hand after a while...

Having the 2 TPXs tuned identically has definitely improved my long range one-shot while in game and on the move.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

Great read!

Once I am done modifying my PGP I am going to be honing the barrel and will be using this as a guide to my pistol play!

Interesting to see the pictures which put things into perspective on how a paintball gun actually aims.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

It seems counterintuitive to some, but you can verify it pretty easily once you know what to look for. Some people can't accept the fact that they did everything right and missed, so they change what they do constantly. By trusting yourself in this way, you'll get to know your pistol and yourself better.

The other half of accuracy is alot harder to pass along. As Robert Heinlein said "Try writing the score of a symphony solely in words with no musical symbols whatever".
There is no common language to describe the act of shooting.
I come from a family of unabashed gunslingers. 9 of my ancestors rode out together with the 1st Michigan Cavalry at the start of the civil war. Both grandfathers in WW2, one in the pacific and one in europe. I have home movies of my Mom and Dad cleaning bottles off a fence with 2 pair of Ruger Blackhawks from when I was a kid and I got my first .22 sixgun when I was 14(I still shoot well with it 31 years later).
There is a shooting style, as secretive as any village martial art in China, taught in my family. Not secret for any silly dramatic reasons but purely pragmatic ones. It's something that comes up when you're out shooting, and gets slowly filled in when hunting, at dinners and through stories. It gets delivered as an unorganized mass, but it works for us. It's based on experience, it's based on real life. It's worked for me.

I've been lucky enough to have played paintball with just pistols for the last 24 years.

Now I see it as a way so simple it can get by without being a way at all.
It's simple as pie for someone to get the start of it in person, but there's no language to describe such things, so that we would actually be doing them the same and for the same reasons across the internet.

That sounds pompous, somehow, though I don't see exactly how... I don't mean it that way. It's just that "try to be consistent in your view over the pistol" sounds like fortune cookie nonsense.
Telling you how to hold your arms or how to stand is even worse BS.
You're not going to get to choose when or what position you shoot from. If you try to choose when or what position you shoot from where I play, they will have shot you already and be long past. Fortunately there's no need.
Showing someone how to figure out where their pistol is and how that relates to where the target is can't be done with words, but I can point you in the right direction to discover it for yourself.
Proprioception is how you can smoothly extract your wallet from your back pocket. You know where your wallet is because it's touching your rear and you know where your rear is. Ironically I have a boss who has lost this sense and now cannot find his ___ with both hands...
You know where your finger is pointing because through proprioception you can feel where your finger is in space relative to other objects.

It's a simple matter to convince your proprioceptive sense that your pistol is part of your body(as long as you have a decade or so lying around).

One of the few pictures of me actually playing is this one from an SPPL qualifier. If you saw where this was at HS, you'd realize this is an optical illusion photo. The photographer is standing literally over my head as I hang one handed from a root in 'the bowl', had I lost that grip I'd have rolled down the hill to a heap at the bottom. I scored 3 eliminations in 5 shots hanging there holding my pistol at arm's length out to the side.

It even works whether you believe in it or not, a good test!

Rob

Old 12-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sneaky Little Bastid #3

Palmers Fan
I ordered up a hone for my favorite pistol (if you have seen almost any of my other posts you will know which gun I'm refering to) and really want to give it a shot once the hone arrives. But I use the pistol quite well as is and don't want to hurt anything, or changer the handling characteristics of the gun for fear I may begin to suck with it. I will try honing a pgp and then maybe a palmers gun to see the benifit if any, and only if there is a noted change will I dare touch my beloved R018 with it . . . I'll give updates once it arrives. BTW it is a L.A. -1200 grit hone for markers, so I hope for the best. Oh and Smith, your posts are always a great wealth of useful knowledge, keep 'em coming!
PB Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I certainly couldn't fault anybody who shows proper respect to a Redux!
That's one of only a few PB pistols I've never laid hands on, I'm jealous...

I would bet dollars against donuts that your pistol has already been honed with a flexhone. I'm just as certain that there's a set or two at Palmer's as well. This is the tool for the job.

However as I pointed out before the 'airsmith's kit'(this was removed when they redid their website in 08), was always a popular choice for shops, that's what exotic sportz(Hell Survivors' chain of stores) and most other airsmiths around had.
This contained 2 'rear bore' hones(I think one is the cocker back and one fits magtubes on sheridans, which have a larger ID) and the 500AO and 800AO barrel hones.
Though it shows clearly now on their website as just another available hone, I had to special order my LA in 07. It wasn't known about alot because it was hidden in the catalog. I got lucky by quizzing the guy way back when and simply saying 'give me the finest one I can get', to which he replied 'Oh, then you want the LA'. It was always marked 800LA in their catalog and on the website too, which added to the confusion.

I predict you will still see a small improvement, but by all means practice and get comfortable using it before trusting yourself to your baby.

Thank you!
I find that writing stuff out causes me to organize it more efficiently in my head and has the bonus of taking my mind to the summer, while snow piles up outside the window.

One thing I thought of as I read this over, that I was taught when I was young, is shareable.
When I inherited my SingleSix at 14, it was one of two bought with consecutive serial numbers in 1953 by my Uncle Robert(my namesake) and my Uncle Danny. I told my Uncle Danny I wanted to learn to shoot like he did. He could bounce a tennis ball with his gun hand in the driveway and hit it 5 times with his single six before it touched ground again.
Here's what he showed me.
You take a shelf about solar plexus high and set two books face down next to each other with about a 3 inch gap between them. They should be only slightly taller than the height of your pistol, then stack another on top of each so your muzzle has half an inch clearance or so height wise. Lay another book as a bridge across so you have a stack of books with a 3" by 3" or so gap in the center.
Stand facing the shelf squarely with your pistol in it's holster, the hole should be opposite dead center of your chest. Position yourself so that you can just touch the shelf at the bottom of the gap with your fingertips without twisting. With your normal hand draw the pistol and stick the muzzle in the hole slowly. Take as long as you can stand before you speed up a little, it is a point of honor not to rush. The muzzle should be coming in in the exact center of the gap, ignore the size of the gap and stare at the center each time. When you feel you can't go any faster, then scoot the books in a little. Slow back down on purpose but ramp the speed slightly faster back to full. Then quit focusing on the hole and simply stare at the whole shelf as you practice. Widen your focus slowly until it's dependable without dragging your eye to the gap as you draw.
Once you get to a point where you can draw and stick your pistol in with the books tightly spaced, as fast as you can and never knock them or move them, proprioception will render the use of sights for anything within 100' unnecessary. Forget them and just point and shoot. In no time you'll wonder what those things on top of your pistol are for...
An important thing about grip. Alot of the BS people are taught with realsteel pistols is all about recoil management. In fact they're not really teaching anything nowadays except that at the expense of accuracy. Your grip on any pistol should only be to the front strap and the backstrap. The side panels(unless custom crafted to your precise hand) should not touch your palm:

As my Grandpa said, you should be able to slide a popsicle stick down the side of the grip and out the bottom. When you do this and don't tighten your fingertips you can bend your wrist straight up and down and see that the pistol is on the right axis. This, if done right, eliminates sideways muzzleflip in both sixguns and automatics. It's tough at first to learn to relax your fingertips with the rest of your finger tense, but it can be done and gives you an excuse to handle a pistol!
Holding this way uses your wrist to transfer recoil through leverage into your forearm with realsteel and gets you back on target faster in the long run.

EDIT: See I already had to fix by adding twice and this is basic training! It's hard to say this stuff in english unless both people practice something that gives you language to talk about movement.

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 12-29-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sneaky Little Bastid #3

Palmers Fan
Nice, good pointers. I will try these techniques once I get home from giving my rem 700pss some love today! It has been over 3 yrs since I shot my rifle and man did I miss it.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I took my International Harvester out for a date last week.
I only seem to shoot that rifle in the winter, I think because carrying it keeps me warm...

Rob

Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sneaky Little Bastid #3

Palmers Fan
I finally got a moment to read through your post more thoroughly (First time was in the car on the ride to the range with my brother and uncle so I was understandably distracted), I have basically achieved the level of familiarity you mention in the book exercise. I have practiced with the pistol just about every day since I bought it back in August, and know the hand/muzzle/point of impact relation pretty well. I mostly use the iron sights for when I have time to lineup a nice head-shot on a stationary target farther then 50 or so feet, other then that I just point and click. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to firearms at a young age (12 or so I think) and about 14-15 for my first experience with handguns, my personal favorites ever since. I still can't believe I had not tried a paintball gun that was a pistol before this year, so many more options for your attack/defense strategies. I am still waiting on my hone to show up as of now.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

You will find that as you increase repeatability and accuracy, you won't get as many 'red herrings'. Shots that don't behave as you predict they should because of barrel or valve will sabotage the precision of your 'muscle memory'

IMO, it's only been since around 02 that .68 usable, widely available, pistols have been out. The T8 and TPX are head and shoulders above the rest and as they've spread out over the last 5 years or so and gear for them has become available, there's more opportunity for people to get into it.

The Golden Age of pistol play is now, IMO.

Rob

Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Definitely true. I can remember the Airsoldier SASE(SideArmShootingEnthusiasts) forum being the first communication I had with others of my kind. In fact those forums, the brand specific forums and sections like this one and it's somewhat dormant companion 'Stock Class Semi' over on StockClassPaintball.com are what is convincing companies that pistols are worth bringing to market. Thank heavens. Think about the amount of money Tiberius has made and think what would have happened if AGD had worked on developing a pistol and not wasted time on the Emag(beautiful though they were, they were not a financial success). Who wouldn't have bought a pistol from Tom Kaye? I would have...

Rob

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms