mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #281 (permalink)
MCB Member

Wow. Working over 30 days in a row almost did me in! Saturday's global conquest was my first day off since returning from LL5.
I did go out to the field last saturday after work, but just to tune up and practice my altered style.
In the month since LL5, I've used spare moments to meditate on the Mercenary Game. As I've mentioned before, The Mercenaries are a home team at Hell Survivors. They can be hired for ingame missions with game cash, in the case of the Global Conquest game with it's teams representing countries they are NATO:

Quote:
ASSAULT MISSIONS: (see Assault Mission Descriptions for rules)......................Purchase Amount/Sell Back Amount
“Airplane Insertions / Assaults” can be hired for a 10-Minute Mission for ...................................... $80,000.00/$0
Ground Assault Tanks & Attack Helicopters can be hired for a 10-Minute Mission for .................. $80,000.00/$0
"NATO Forces" can be hired for a 20-Minute Mission for….. .................................................. .......... $150,000.00/$0
"Tactical Nuclear Weapons" can be purchased for only .................................................. ................ $1,500,000.00/$750,000.00
“Star Wars Laser Defense Systems” can be purchased for............................................... ............. $1,600,000.00/$800,000.00
So given a change from my usual average inserts of an hour or more to 20 minutes of full on crushing attack, a different agent was called for. Finding out at the end of last season that joining this team of demons was a possibility is what caused me to try to find ways to carry more mags instead of carrying pistolpods to reload fewer mags.
With a 20 minute mission in a crew carrying the current cream of the electro crop, I couldn't take time to reload mags.
I also decided that my more two handed style I'd been using with the TPXs had to go also. It served me well when I was running a more unpredictable, solo type game, but the more single primary style I used during the SPPL works better in close concert with teammates.

It went well. I had as much fun as I've had in years and really felt comfortable in my rig. I got nice far shots, nice sneaky shots, pointblanked a guy trying a run through and generally made myself useful. I was told by my friend Walt that I passed the audition. I played in #5 on saturday:

Here's me not so clean at the end of Sat:

On sunday I got my permanent number, what better for a guy with 2 TPXs than 14...

Now that I'm on midnights I'll be able to fill in more details this week.
One funny note, the wizard at the store down the street from the field has me down pat so well he just put this on the counter for me when I walked in:

[IMG][/IMG]

I have some left. I averaged 15-20 mags a run. In one case where we broke out of the village, swept the castle and moved towards highlands, I burned through 23 mags in around 7 minutes. A hot insert that came in right behind us ended my stress, by giving me a free pass to the deadzone.

I'm honored and amazed at my new teammates, they really are something.

For the first time in my paintball life I got the experience of opponents seeing our black jerseys coming through the woods and literally having them break and run.
Bizarre in the extreme.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #282 (permalink)

Grats Smith, I havent had the time to make it out at all this year... Kinda hope too soon and I hope I can catch you out there.
Samurai Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #283 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Final? We'll see lol...

I'm just saying.....
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #284 (permalink)
Banned

can i tap into your expertise for a moment?

in your opinion, what would you say is the disadvantage of agd sydarms or even custom automag pistols? you're obviously not using them so you must see a drawback compared to other pistols.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #285 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
can i tap into your expertise for a moment?

in your opinion, what would you say is the disadvantage of agd sydarms or even custom automag pistols? you're obviously not using them so you must see a drawback compared to other pistols.
I've been killing myself to get time to sit at home and add to this thread giving thoughts and experiences from the last 2 big games at HS, but this I'll try to do from my phone.
The AGD blowforward valve is the best power source ever made for a pistol. The T8 uses it and the TPX uses a variation of it's design that is well suited to 12g use, so I do and have used them a lot.
The flaw in the sydarm is that it pours 12g co2 DOWN into the mag valve. The sydarm I used for a year or so would fail after 2 or 3 quick mags worth of rapid fire. The design allows co2 to contact and swell orings in the pistol. I modified the one I had with a c/a adapter hardlined to an SI lever changer under the barrel, after which it worked quite well. However, this made a great pistol cross the line into heavy and it would still not put up with my craziness all that well. This was an old original sydarm on loan to me from a PD(TK would only sell them to police and the mil), so I couldn't hack it- only work with removable parts that I could add.
Tom Kaye was convinced that noone would buy a paintball pistol, so he put none of his usual genus into it. In spite of once being told by a certain agentSmith "It's not that noone makes a good pistol because noone wants to play with one, it's that noone wants to play with one because noone's made a good pistol!"
Once the new sydarms came out I had the modded zeus' in hand and never considered them. Recently I've thought of beginning to fool around with using a variation of the body I thought up for a friend of mine long ago to use with the agd valve.
The new body would use the tpx valve combined with the crossover reg, allowing me to dispense with the clamshell, have a tpx magwell in front of the trigger like a broomhandle mauser or scorpion and have a grip magwell for the dual co2 mags of the umarex metal storm bb gun.
The classic automag valves don't release gas until the bolt is fully forward. This mechanical push that starts the ball rolling is tough on paint. So tough that old automaggers used foamies, little pieces of foam that stuck to the face of the bolt. This was corrected with the level 10 system. The level 10 has a small port through the center that allows air through to cushion the strike of the bolt on the ball. This tiny port will quickly freeze to a blockage with 12gs however, leading to the 'automags are better with nitro' convention.
In the tpx bolt the plunger that goes into the powertube is undersized by a small amount. So as the pistol fires gas escapes all around the inner surface of the powertube and the motion of the bolt means ice doesn't have time to form as the plunger moves down the tube.
This is why I prefer the tpx type blowforward to the agd type, I shoot fast and often. Using my 'one pistol' style I went through a case and a bag at the monster game, over a case of that through the tan tipx. That's with the 20 minute missions of us mercs, the longest I stayed on the field was 40 minutes. I don't get so many chances to bellyslide through cattails towards Bob Long that I could stop myself at 20min.
Didn't get him of course... You expect his skills, but I'm struck every time I see him by how much that guy LOVES paintball. He and Pete Utschig set up with us in the merc shack and he was giggling almost, talking about his own swampgrass forays and how much a dry HS reminded him of the fields he first played.
More about that later!

Hope that helps!
Rob

Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #286 (permalink)
Banned

sounds like most of the problems are from liquid co2. thanks.

i have never seen a tpx before. what do you mean the plunger of the bolt is undersized? is it thinner than the powertube ID so that there is gap? but for gas to be able to escape there, it would also mean the powertube has no o-rings inside, right? wouldn't that hinder the bolt alignment? how big of a gap is it?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #287 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
sounds like most of the problems are from liquid co2. thanks.

i have never seen a tpx before. what do you mean the plunger of the bolt is undersized? is it thinner than the powertube ID so that there is gap? but for gas to be able to escape there, it would also mean the powertube has no o-rings inside, right? wouldn't that hinder the bolt alignment? how big of a gap is it?
Tiny, but it's there. That's right, the diameter of the round flat head of the bolt plunger is smaller than the ID of the powertube and there are no orings inside the powertube. Alignment is controlled by how the bolt fits outside the powertube, so it's consistent.

So if any fellow MCBers are at an HS game and looking to say hi, I don't have my name and calsign plastered across my shoulders any more, just look for this guy:

I'm easier to find actually as we set up in this building behind the handsome group in the foreground:

As a person with dual citizenship, I wear my GLR jersey under the sleeveless Mercenary one.
Both teams do me proud! The Monster Game was billed as Ironman Vs Ironman, with general Bob Long(on Red this year after commanding Yellow last year) going for a rematch against Pete Utschig, but was also GLR vS GLR, with their local expert co-generals being my teammates Narf and Mechanic. Narf continued his winning ways, helping guide Bob Long and Red to the win as he did for Pete U last year. He's closing in on Psychomom as the winningest general in HS history.
Us Mercs were worth the money at the monster for sure, sweeping the circular field for both sides at different spots in the weekend. What a blast to run with friends I've known so long! At times I was bait for them, drawing fire and attention, at times they were bait for myself and others to slither around the flanks. In an ironic twist myself and Big Mike, pound for pound the two biggest Mercs, put on a crawl through the swampgrass that squeezed the defenders out of the edges allowing our fellow Mercs to push them right out of firebase Bravo.
Big Mike is across the table facing the camera in this pic, behind my buddy Kenzo(12) and Mike Myers. They're al great players, but I consider Captain Mike Myers the equal of any paintballer I've seen in my 26 years in the sport. He runs like a deer and shoots with the skill of a sniper!

Okay! Enough reminiscing, my next post will be all tactics!

Rob

Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #288 (permalink)
MCB Member

First, a little gear talk.
These grenade pouches, which I linked to in the show your rig thread, are cool plus:

Each pocket holds 3 tpxmags for 9 on each leg. The drop to them allows for easy wear under my pistol belt. The leg strap is canvas so it can be tied tight enough not to flop without the squeeze that elastic can put on the circulation. I wore one as a test on Sunday at monster with my old army pants and was quite pleased with it, even when crawling and rolling. It simply has doublebuttoned pockets so it works best as mule storage, i'd modify it if I were loading single mags out of it, I simply waited until there were 3 empty spots on my belt and emptied a pocket onto my belt. If I went wholehog with my new pants and 2 of these plus my belt i'd have 28 on my pants and 12 on my belt...... 40! That's just crazy. My plan is to use these at the 300 game, as my shield makes pulling mags from the rear of my belt a problem. I'll move my dump pouch to the right, behind that pistol and push my emdom pouches left for mule storage.
Generally I'll go without them and put my belt back as was. As in all things I view my rig in the light of the Tao. Not too yin, not too yang. It's not a matter of carrying as many mags as possible, but rather the perfect number. I've pretty much settled at 26-30 with no pistolpod, or 14-20 with.
Yikes! Calamity at work, I will edit and finish this from home.

Rob

Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #289 (permalink)
MCB Member

Found a moment at work so here goes.
I've been torture testing the tan TiPX since I got it. I've carried my racegun as well, but have done the majority of my shooting through the tan. With closer wingmen, 1 pistol well loaded and accurate is tougher. Over 5 cases of paint. It's been the hammer.

For the 300 game I decided I had enough faith to leave the second pistol behind in favor of a pistolpod with 7 mags worth of loads. With the use of shields dual wielding is not required.
The reloads were simple, when I fired up my paint I put my pistol in my shield hand muzzle down, grabbed on the top. As I took it I released my hand on the grip and popped the mag release, continuing the motion I pulled the mag with my gun hand. Dumping the old mag, I grabbed a new one as my hand came back towards the pistol. I'd push it in to lock and continue the motion onto the grip, switching back to shooting hand and going back to work.
Co2 was similar, aim pistol in to shield hand, catching co2 plug in shield hand and removing it then catching the old 12ie also in the shield hand. I do a pass, putting the pistol, muzzle up this time, in my shield hand as I take the empty 12 and plug into my gunhand. I dump the 12, grab a new one on way back. Dropping it into upraised chamber I then put the plug in and drop my hand to the grip and go.

I had 10 on my pants front, 12 in the emdom double pouches, 9 in the grenade pouch and 1 in the pistol for 32. With pistolpod reload, 39. At one point I defended west point alone for 4 or 5 minutes until an insert came to save me.

The shield took quite a beating:

Rob

Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #290 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I've been thinking of relocating somewhere other than Missouri (call it boredome or Wanderlust) and have seriously looked at property within driving distance of HS. Not even joking.

The games there sound epic.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms