mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #351 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Sorry about the doggieh.

Warzone was much much better when I was in the area, now they've done some changes and I'm not too fond of.

I take you were on the outside scenario field?
They didn't have the indoor scenario field open for your amusement?
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #352 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yep outdoor scenario.
From what I saw and what my buddy walt confirmed I should be able to take people out end to end.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #353 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Sorry for your loss. Dogs are a big part of a family.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #354 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Yep outdoor scenario.
From what I saw and what my buddy walt confirmed I should be able to take people out end to end.

Rob
Yup, during the winter months it's pretty straight forward. Work your angles, stay covered, and shoot.

During nicer weather it gets a bit more hectic.

If you are a quick enough, sometimes when they do side to side games, you could rush the corner and lock down a full side by yourself.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #355 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Sorry for your loss. Dogs are a big part of a family.
Thanks! And thanks to all for good thoughts. It's an inescapable part of the yin and yang of life. Or as my grandpa told me when I was a little fella, "It ain't a what, It's a when, Rob.".

I cut the leather for my new holsters today. I saved the stencils I had made, so they'll be the same as my green ones except for being black. When I made my first ones I first ordered a 'how to make holsters' book. It was pretty much a pamphlet. I secure it with the chicago screws instead of sewing it so it's easier to hose paint out of, so it takes less than 2 hours per holster.
I have the belt, I'll get the black 6o4 pouches from Emdom after westminster. The green ones are still like new.

One of the addons I have is 2 of the maxpedition mini rolypoly dump pouches. These are a great size for TiPX mags and fold up tiny. The gaps in the back of my belt between mag pouches and the 2 pistols are situated perfectly right above the oversized back pockets. I slide my hand with an empty mag between the pouch and holster and the edge of the pocket is just below the bottom of the mag pouch. 3 wide, 2 deep will stand up in the pocket, 4 more can be laid in sideways above. With 6 stood up in the pockets, they're fully down on the backs of my thighs. I can ground sit or roll side to side without thinking about them a bit.
For full-on Alamo type runs, like the Day of the Rangers game, I toss a minipoly into each gap on my belt and grab and load my 20 mag/10 12g bandoleer, elapsed time less than 5 minutes. I simply fill the pants pocket then open the dump pouch over it. Yes, for those counting that's 46 mags total.
For alamo runs with support, where I may have cover at least for a while or longer defenses, I add the $10 beer can belt, which can hold 6 pistol pods and 20 12gs. This can either load a whopping 42 mags for me or give a teammate 294 rds in 49rd flip top pods depending on who's doing all the work.

Speaking of work... I guess my break is over!

Rob

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #356 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Sorry to hear about your dog AgentSmith, it's always hard losing a member of the family like that. I've always maintained that they're more than just pets too.

And, wow 42 mags?
I'm gonna be finally getting to run with my 3357 this weekend, do you have any pointers that you wouldn't mind sharing? (My Tib's grips....uh...still at the mod shop, so that's pretty much out just arrived this morning! )

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-01-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #357 (permalink)
MCB Member

There are a couple of important factors to bear in mind as you play with a 3357.
Not only will they not break from as far away, but they make a smaller mark as well. If you're ever faced with a choice of taking a shot or moving closer, choose the move.
I generally shot in traditional style when moving and duelist when stationary:
Cowboy Action Shooting Tips & Techniques : Traditional vs. Duelist Style of Shooting Cowboy Pistols - YouTube

I fired it single action 99% of the time as the double action trigger pull was poop. After I got my aluminum cylinders I shot more DA but still couldn't touch the single action accuracy. Obviously I went DA anytime I had both out.

One of the weaknesses of the 3357 is indexing the next chamber. The cylinder gets sloppy or can be screwed up. When I got a new batch of cylinders(new to me anyway!) I would take a small marker and number each cylinder then number each chamber on that cylinder.
I'd get a bunch of paint and test fire each cylinder 6 or 7 times in fast and slow fire. I'd write down the locations of any breaks, to make sure there wasn't a consistent problem with something. Any bad chamber, I'd paint the inside of it orange. Any bad cylinder I'd try to fix or throw away.
A bad chamber in one cylinder will come up on you at random normally, it's possible to run around having breaks and trouble for a long time without realizing it was all one chamber.

I had a little needle oiler:

At the start of the day and at lunch I'd squirt a drop's worth into the pierce pin, then put in a 12ie. If they get TOO dry they get squirrely.

It's also possible to put a drop of oil on the tip of the first 12ie, then load it into the pistol gently and pierce it, this works ok too.
It helps T8 mags and TPX pistols to do this at the start of the day and at lunch too.

Not so much for this weekend but for future refernce, the mosin-nagant clip pouches make excellent cylinder pouches:

Ironically they attach to molle as well:

Hope that helps, you have some fun!!
Rob

Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #358 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
That's excellent, more than I could ask for, thanks!
Funnily enough, I'd looked at those Nagant pouches a while back and wondered if they'd work.

I'll let you know how we get on!

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #359 (permalink)
MCB Member

My girl Adele at the Westminster show:

Like paintball, breeding and showing dogs is it's own little world.

Paintball's never really been an expensive thing for me.

That's changing though. I'm determined that I am going custom. Everything will stay in the same place so it won't affect this thread. Though what it is and everything that holds it there will be completely different.
I've earned it.

PLUS!!!! Great news is that in my recent travels on day shift, working overtime the last 2 weeks, I ran into a Diemaker I hadn't seen in years working down in the bay! I now have access to smart machinist types!!!!!!

The FIRST order of business was zeus magazines. The zeus mags I had were modded at work by a die maker friend, Toby. When he transferred to another plant, he gave me the bits he had made. Big huge whomping expensive bits, one of them tapered. They fit in no drill press I have access to and I had no friend to do them for me or turn a blind eye while I did.
I've had a magazine here that I promised I'd do over a year ago and it has bugged me every day.
So, remembering the adage 'give a man a fish-feed him for a day, teach a man to fish-feed him for a lifetime', I had my friend supply me with a tackle box and pole.
In other words, he is turning those big drill bits down to a 1/2" shank. Since they're mine, and I'll never drill anything except 1/8" thick zeusmags with them, strength is not an issue.
So now I will be able to do a mag for the occasional person who asks me.

Additionally, there will be pistols.

There's 2 possible main pistol designs, with an alternate brace of fun pistols. The pair of fun pistols will be made by StorminNorman if all goes well. It'll be a few months before he can start, but I like an airsmith who knows pistols and 12grams and his work looked awesome, IMO.

A basis for a possible third potential pistol design is on it's way to me too!

That's the bad thing about ADD as I experience it. Some things I just can't do. Drawing things and measuring stuff? Access denied.
I can show a knowledgeable person what I mean in seconds as long as it's in person, but it's mental block time on paper.
I could keep a 4 man machine shop running full time for 6 months if I never had another invention, but all I ever got from anyone was 'send me a drawing'. To which I'd say 'look i can't draw!'.
Now that I can face to face things, I'm happier than a mule eating biscuits!!

Rob

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #360 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Gloves- Duluth Trading Carpenter's gloves. Heaven for your hands.
Whoa! Those look amazing. I need to source a set up here.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms