mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
I would suggest some cut down 10-round tubes instead of pods. reloading magazines from pods is such a b****

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Loading from the APP 50rd pod is a pain, however loading from the pursuitpod's pistolpod:

Is a snap:

YouTube - TPX Mag Load.wmv
(just a 30second vid)

They fit in the same space as a regular pod diameter wise. You can get them in 10rd mag length, 8rd mag length or 7rd mag length depending on what you're packing. My 7rd ones are the exact same size as an APP50 pod and hold 49 balls in 7 chambers.

I store them in any pouch that holds 2 AR mags, by cutting out the divider.

RIGS

The zeus rig(02 til the T8 came out)

Though I switched to a hip holster for the P68SC:

When the T8 came out I bought 2. After serious study I decided it was unsuitable as a primary and went back to the original zeus rig, kept the second T8 as a sidearm to replace the P68SC sometimes:

The Elite shoulder holster was nice for small, fast summer games but ironically too hot for small, fast summer games.

I switched to a nicer holster for the T8:

and randomly used lots of different pistols as sidearms all through the years. I would simply play with whichever pistol I chose at any given moment, so they all saw alot of use:

First TPX rig with UTG holsters and Emdom pouches. I found by storing my mags in the pouches when not playing they weren't so tight, but returning a mag to them behind my back without looking one handed is not a fun trick to learn...

I'm currently testing a new style rig made out of leather. There was no existing design for me to use for magazines that weighed so little, so I had to create from scratch. It's coming along nicely, here's an earlier pic:

Just what you see gives you 2 pistols, 12 mags and 12 co2s. The extra co2s come in handy because my pants carry an additional 12 mags:

There are matching loops for 6 more mags on back. This is my full day scenario rig, though I generally will reload it alot. I average a bag of paint a day at Hell Survivors Big games.
EDIT: Admit it, if you were wearing this rig, you'd shoot a bag of paint a day too!
For open play 15min games, I leave the loops empty and use them to dump partial or empty mags into.

All my older pictures were lost. Not just PB ones either, but such is life...

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 02-17-2011 at 08:56 AM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Bartman

AKA Fan
So far I have been usinga shot gun shell belt and a PBmofia leg harness, but I have started to bring things together for a vest style.

I will post pictures when I have it finished.

Love what i have seen so far though.

Bart
Its always better with a pump, and camo
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...l#post2603541y
Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
LOL, saw WK2s pics and had to add mine.

I use it for scenarios with my phantom. Not really a pistol but will work anyway. You can see more of it here.

Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Here's a few pics of my setup. Still tweaking it. The vest doesn't fit like I would like, so I'm picking up another one I hope fits a little better.

Anyway,
Here's the TPX w/ an Apex Tip:

The UTG Shoulder Rig w/ Apex Still attached:

Vest w/ Ronin Holster, Whiskey pouches, mags and remote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
www.armorsquad.com

Pistol chest rig.

My rig has been the culmination of several different attempts at finding the right balance. It's always going to be a work in progress for me. It all started with Scout's starter setup. Many have seen his video on our Youtube channel on setups and pistol play, and I' sure he'll chime in on this.

Name:  dual pistol.jpg
Views: 3962
Size:  226.4 KB
My first setup try with running two Zeus'es. Pretty much a pipe dream, not enough paint and pistol two was a waste and would bump me in the chin.

Name:  pistol rig 2010.jpg
Views: 3694
Size:  181.0 KB

So enter setup number two. Bye Bye silver Zeus, enter TPX(soon to become a debacle) I could carry 100 round pods int he front Ak pouches or 9 ten round tubes in each. The dual 40 mike mike grenade pouches held TPX mags great and sprung them up for an easy grab. Bad part-The let water and humidity in and the TPX was wasted, such as the first 30 minutes of MI monster game 2009. This setup was first but it forced me to go back a design for Global Conquest 2009:

Name:  dual rig.jpg
Views: 3356
Size:  184.8 KB

Name:  pistol rig 2009.jpg
Views: 3349
Size:  84.3 KB

I had hopes my TPX would be there in time but it wasn't to be.

So I moved on. After fighting with a TPX and rocking a Zeus that still pulls down 33-35 shots before gasout. I said forget mag fed and went with a double triple shingle setup with a high chest shingle for 10 round tubes a whopping 420 in tubes. Played Tippmann world challenge like that but realized two things. I could shoot that paint out completely and did several times over the weekend and it kept me out too long without taking a break.

So I shortened up the amount of tubes and added two cut down to 70 round pods for reloading time in the field. What really happened was I topped off electro running kids that were dead out of paint, so they could do the stupid things I knew I shouldn't do.

Name:  final 2010 rig.jpg
Views: 3289
Size:  57.9 KB

So now it's come to this.

Name:  pistol rig 2011.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  229.1 KB

One thing for sure, Condor Outdoor gear rocks. I took the triple double shingles and cut one off each instead of buying new. Got the Molle 12 grams from a pistol on Ebay that was filled with extra unlisted gear. Brought back the Warsensor holster because it carries just about any pistol. Kept the high chest shingle for quick reloads and put on a small admin pouch. The gadget pouch holds whatever I need at the time and a HHR radio pouch will complete it.

I like the placement of the tubes better and the front part of each shingle is lower so 8 round tubes fit great. Roughly 300 rounds of paint and I can carry a pistol if I want to play pump or do some other job. I have a pb mafia dump pouch and a knock off Chinese one for on the belt and the rig should works great for a Zeus. I played with a VSC Phantom in it and will most like run some form of modified new Trracer as well int he very near future.

I like flexibilty and decided to dump my other stuff save for a Special Ops bag for a Tac ten vest. Yea, its a pint lugging piece of gear but with the addition of dual right and left holsters, I can carry way to much gear into whatever I need. I show a few photos, but it's in transit to me right now.

BTW: all the gear was ACU, but in the north county, it just doesn't work. So a few sessions of Idye for 100% poly/nylon and I have a nice green hue.

It's come down to pretty much Condor gear. It's strong takes a heck of a beating and the rigs are sized to fit big lugs like me.

Here's the list;
Shingles hold 10 round tubes-remove the AR mag pull and retie the bungee tighter to make a separate spot for each of the 3 tubes in each mag slot.
The double AK/triple AR pouch holds 9 tubes or 100 round pods and will hold two tubes in the front separate section with each pod.
12 ga pouch holds 12ies but cut slits in the bottom for the small ends to point out of to allow it to close easy.
40mm pouches hold TPX mags as long as the humidity isn't too high. The rest of the pouches find different pouches here and there. Tib mags seem to be a problem with there weight but a more specific pouch for them would probably be better.

trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Having witnessed TrueBlue and the Armorsquad Pistol Brigade in action I can say they truly know their stuff!
It's always an honor to play alongside them and a nightmare to play against them.

That's definitely the rig of someone who's paid their dues.
That's my personal recommendation to someone starting to put together a rig to try out pistol play. First think about how you want to carry. Chest rig, modified back harness, hip belt, thigh rig?
These things can help decide your choice of pistol. If you're someone who carries two pods in his cargo pockets because harness drives you insane, don't get a mag fed gun. If you're someone who normally wears the 10pod superharness on a 2 mile run, any choice that fits your other needs will do.

My game is in the dirt. I never crawl when I should run, but I'm doing things that require all the agility I have and sometimes then some. Folks constantly notice how packed with dirt my gear gets. My teammates always laugh at the fact that any time they see me at a big game, I'm going in an entirely different direction than everybody else even though we end up together at the flag. I have my 'thing' I do. It's not what other people do. Calling it 'agent' style is just too smarmy. Noone else may be doing it because it's crazy...
Being in the dirt all the time in a wooded field automatically deletes chest rigs, back harnesses, thigh rigs and puts everything on my belt because I'm 6'2", 240lbs already.
I shed those other rigs like a rattlesnake sheds his skin, in tatters.
Not to mention the difficulties of using them when hanging upside down...

The T8 cannot be effectively fought by me from the belt. It's way, way too heavy as a system(meaning pistol+mags). Same with the 3357s for different reasons, in that case the oddball shape and bulk of the cylinders and the weight of the pistols themselves caused me to compromise with a shoulder harness for the cylinder dispenser, plus those surplus holders for the clips(not mags) of the Mosin nagant. These pouches hold 3357 cylinders perfectly:

So I would say think over how you like to play, what size games you're in and what type of harness you prefer BEFORE you get a pistol.
Because a great pistol in a horrible holster is no better than an eagle68.

This is the promise of the TPX to me, a versatile, lightweight system that can be carried just about any old way with success. I'm looking forward to this year more than any since I started playing.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

It is way cool to see how folks have set up thier rigs, I might as well join in. I have changed my rig many of times, the only thing that has stayed the same is the Condor Ranger Chest Rig. I love this platform. How I lay it out has changed over time but I have always had the dump pouch, capless system, and mag holders.

Here is a Youtube video that brakes down my rig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8gy3pod7w

Here are some current photos of my rig. My big change of play last year for me is carrying an Invert Mini as a backup. I still want to get two more Spec Ops Mag puches, and a Condor Ipod pouch for my camera.

Well thats my rig. Love this thread, lets hope it keeps growing.
scout_armorsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
www.armorsquad.com

Thanks Agentsmith, I have to say we've all picked up good ideas from such a legendary player at HSI. People forget that you can play with a volume of fire and accuracy coupled with mobility. I carry a lot of paint because i paid to play, shoot at people and get plenty of practice at the same time. I'm working on a light rig in a belt style with a Condor battle belt, dump pouch, a warsensor pouch for 12ies, and probably some shingles for tubes.

The chest rig is great for bulk carry but I personally think a belt is best for light and fast.
My style continues to tweak to fit me the best. Pistols generally remain the same in rof and action, and gear needs to develop in order to make for effective play when facing down the average player. And it's about style, everyone has their own style and really, it's good to have some flair when going pistol against players touting (insert common semi/electro marker choice here) when every fifth player at a big game has one.

To think, nothing has more flair than to be stuck in Castle Roc by a window getting pounded at 20 bps, and when the player gets bored dumping a hopper at it, you pop out and hit his hopper when he is BS'ing to a ref. Then you call out to Magnum Han who's also reffing and was just shooting the breeze you and he finds the hit in front of the other ref and calls the player dead. That's some personal pistol pride.

trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

found a pouch for the battle belt that works great for holding a swab
MOLLE SMG Mag Pouch
MOLLE SMG Mag Pouch

also thought i would use these suspenders so i could load up some more 10 rd tubes

Defender Utility Harness Suspender (Olive Drab)

and maybe this for kicks
SPECIAL OPS - STOCK CLASS FOREARM GUARD | Special Ops Paintball
paintball_fiend is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms