mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #291 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosroth View Post
If you mean the tpx mag pouch.
No, I meant meant the shotgun tube pouches with the 12gs inside. With just that single loop of elastic, it looks like the tubes would move some.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #292 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooAddict View Post

No Look Mag ejection directly into 2 Dump pouches

And the unexpected star of the show... No Look, One handed, Reloads. Thanks to the orientation of the holsters, the mag well is nearly vertical.

I haven't had a chance to play with it in this config yet. But I have put it through more then a few paces in the treadmill test and it stays put and remains comfortable. I've also practiced with a few hundred no look reloads and holstering/drawing over the last two weeks. The new one handed no look reload process is not quite reflex yet, nor as fast as reloading a single pistol setup using two hands. But I already feel it's much quicker and has significant benefits then my previous "methods" of reloading with dual pistols. With dedicated practice I'm hoping this will become a reflex like action. Effectively removing my last drawback of using dual pistols.
Awesome!
I do the same mag ejection but with a single, larger pouch over my junk so I don't need a cup. But how have your treadmill tests do when running and your dual pitches have mags in them? Do they bother your thighs?

Love the one handed reloads from the holster angle, but again the holsters don't bug you where they are? I think I would I tried to put them a little more forward and up, and moved some of the mags to the small of the back.

Also, mind sharing some of your other older methods for reloading? I've been wondering if I can add some thing to the grips so I can slap two guns together and hold them in one hand while the other slams two mags in at the same time.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #293 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
Awesome!
Glad you like it. I keep getting prodded to make videos instead of still pictures and text descriptions. So I'm just glad the idea got across without video to back it up. I've also been hesitant to post my rig because it feels like it's always changing and never quite right. For almost two weeks now this is what I've been training with, and for the fist time in a long while I don't have strong desires to change anything. I figured the time was right.

Quote:
I do the same mag ejection but with a single, larger pouch over my junk so I don't need a cup. But how have your treadmill tests do when running and your dual pitches have mags in them? Do they bother your thighs?
It's funny you mention that. I used to do the same, a single dump pouch in front of the junk as "protection". Sadly, the treadmill tests had the mags swinging into my junk. Caused far more pain then protection. As to the dual dump pouches... they are a little restrictive sitting on the thighs, but it's not bad. With mags in them they are small/snug enough that they don't really bounce around. They hug the leg pretty tightly. Also, it's not like I've ever got the full weight of 6 mags swinging around in a single pouch. As I can only easily fill them with 3 mags each. After that I need to at some point move the mags back into empty pouches on the chest rig. (I place them back in the mag pouches upside down so I know by touch not to try to reload with them.) I've contemplated getting larger dump pouches to get past this limitation, but I typically play games with 6-8 mags. So I don't think I'll run into the issue of needing to empty the dump pouches mid-game too regularly. If anything changes soon though on the setup, this would be it... adding one or two much larger dump pouches. I don't have any large dump pouches to actually try, just speculation, so that alone makes it a bit of a temptation.

Quote:
Love the one handed reloads from the holster angle, but again the holsters don't bug you where they are? I think I would I tried to put them a little more forward and up, and moved some of the mags to the small of the back.
I've tried the mags on my back, and while I see it working for some, for me it's too much of a pain to replace the mags into pouches between games. Maybe the reality is that I need to try a different style of pouch for using on my back. Or maybe it's just my genetic disposition to be rather inflexible. I do have some valken pouches on an NXe molle belt that work "ok" for me for pouches on the back. But it's far from ideal for me, and really only works for me as a single pistol setup with 4 mags max.

As to the holsters, so far they don't bother me where they are, but I don't run with the pistols in the holsters, just for resting between games (and now the reloads). I originally tried them higher, mounting on the molle belt instead of a separate pistol belt. Hoping to fit everything on a single platform. At that height they were ok for draws, but the high angle which my arm had to contort made them, uncomfortable for re holstering. At the time I wasn't even thinking about the reload capability, but knowing how much pain my arms were in just twisting to holster, the reloads would have been impossible for me.

As to the position more forward or back on the belt, that's actually easy to adjust and I've been trying some different positions. Back a little farther makes the holsters stick out less from my sides. Farther back I can only no look reload one at a time, i.e. right pistol, then left pistol. Where currently I can reload both at the exact same time. I just don't have the flexibility to have both arms back and up at the angles necessary to pull off reliable reloads at the same time if farther back. I may decide that doing one at a time and having the holsters more to the back is the way to go. That's easy enough to slide around and adjust that I can do it between games. For now, and for the daily reloading drills I'm forcing on myself, I'm going to leave it where it is... because frankly being able to reload both pistols at the exact same time, then quickly draw both at the same time reloaded just feels too cool. Farther forward, and I tend be bumping into doubled up mag pouches on the chest rig while reloading. Moving them forward also moved the dump pouches forward, which them became more restrictive directly in-front of the thighs instead of partially to the side.

Quote:
Also, mind sharing some of your other older methods for reloading? I've been wondering if I can add some thing to the grips so I can slap two guns together and hold them in one hand while the other slams two mags in at the same time.
PM Fixxer he was doing a custom job for someone trying to to the same thing. The idea was that he'd hold both pistols upside-down with one hand then slam in two mags at the same time with the free hand. I had photos of it, but had to clear my PM box and forgot to save them.

dundadun, thanks a lot for your comments. While some of your ideas won't work for my large inflexible ***... I think that on the right person they would be improvements to my setup.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.

Last edited by VooDooAddict; 02-26-2012 at 08:42 PM.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #294 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
I've tried the mags on my back, and while I see it working for some, for me it's too much of a pain to replace the mags into pouches between games. Maybe the reality is that I need to try a different style of pouch for using on my back.

PM Fixxer

dundadun, thanks a lot for your comments. While some of your ideas won't work for my large inflexible ***... I think that on the right person they would be improvements to my setup.
thank you for sharing!
Hmm I wonder if sideways or diagonal mags on the back would work for you. Like two on each side.
Or maybe two extended mags sideways going from hip to hip?

Also I use a fairly large dump pouch, 3mags can stack in there and not bang against my junk. Also it's long enough I think my legs push it out and away from my body. Could also be that I havn't run full steam cause of my back for a while so it might work better for me.

I'm doing to have to give chest rig a try one of these days. I hate vests, but maybe I could do something like you voodoo.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #295 (permalink)

Quote:
thank you for sharing!
Hmm I wonder if sideways or diagonal mags on the back would work for you. Like two on each side.
Or maybe two extended mags sideways going from hip to hip?
If they ever finish the .1 extended mags I'll let you know how that works.

Quote:
Also I use a fairly large dump pouch, 3mags can stack in there and not bang against my junk. Also it's long enough I think my legs push it out and away from my body. Could also be that I havn't run full steam cause of my back for a while so it might work better for me.
Ahh the one giant scrotum approach... The smaller dump pouches I have bounce right into the the sensitive bits. Maybe the big ones hang low enough. Dammit I think I may have to buy one of the larger style dump pouches now. Will give me the last excuse I need to try the smaller MCR3 chest rig as well. (Thank goodness they don't have the MCR3 in multicam or I'd be tempted to spend even more getting everything to match.)

Quote:
I'm doing to have to give chest rig a try one of these days. I hate vests, but maybe I could do something like you voodoo.
Yeah, I dislike full vests as well. I feel like there's no reason to have all that material and molle loops across my back where I'll never need it.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #296 (permalink)
Ranger of the South

Nice job, Voodoo. How deep are those dump pouches?

I've been alternating between different dump pouches, from the large rollup dump pouch, which just seemed to attract more paint from enemy fire than anything else, to the much smaller canteen pouch or small first aid kit pouch as pictured above. I cut a hole in the top of the latter, as the kydex along the sides allows it to fit the height.

Reload procedure (requires 2 hands, but allows for minimal time without ammo in marker):

I am able to pull a loaded mag from the M4 pouch on my left as I'm hitting the mag release into the dump pouch with my Right, then I load the mag with my Left hand into the now empty pistol. As my Left hand is leaving the bottom of the now loaded T8.1 mag, it reaches into the dump pouch and pulls it back to the recently vacated pouch on the left, but now I place it right side up, allowing for a quick reload after popping it with clean barrel swab (shove into mag and twist), or to borrow my bud Richard's term, field mag reloading device, or some such. I then can use one of the capless tubes to reload with my Left hand while still keeping a marker trained for action. Takes a little practice, but works well. Nice economy of movement. Thanks to Richard Kranium for the technique.

Only using my 8.1 for now, though this rig also works for using a limited loadout for my Trracer or one of my TMs with a Taccap. I'll use my Pursuit pods to reload the cut down 10rnd tubes at a break or in a nice bunker. If I'm running pistol only, I don't bother with the tank, remote, or fill whip. But this allows me to run with a sidearm as secondary as well. CO2 are in the BTWO pouch on L breast. R bottom pouch, next to dump, can hold 50rnd pod, 30rnd tacpod or grenade.

My MCB Feedback

Last edited by longhornjake; 02-27-2012 at 06:54 PM.
longhornjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #297 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornjake View Post
Nice job, Voodoo. How deep are those dump pouches?

I've been alternating between different dump pouches, from the large rollup dump pouch, which just seemed to attract more paint from enemy fire than anything else, to the much smaller canteen pouch or small first aid kit pouch as pictured above. I cut a hole in the top of the latter, as the kydex along the sides allows it to fit the height.

Reload procedure (requires 2 hands, but allows for minimal time without ammo in marker):

I am able to pull a loaded mag from the M4 pouch on my left as I'm hitting the mag release into the dump pouch with my Right, then I load the mag with my Left hand into the now empty pistol. As my Left hand is leaving the bottom of the now loaded T8.1 mag, it reaches into the dump pouch and pulls it back to the recently vacated pouch on the left, but now I place it right side up, allowing for a quick reload after popping it with clean barrel swab (shove into mag and twist), or to borrow my bud Richard's term, field mag reloading device, or some such. I then can use one of the capless tubes to reload with my Left hand while still keeping a marker trained for action. Takes a little practice, but works well. Nice economy of movement. Thanks to Richard Kranium for the technique.

Only using my 8.1 for now, though this rig also works for using a limited loadout for my Trracer or one of my TMs with a Taccap. I'll use my Pursuit pods to reload the cut down 10rnd tubes at a break or in a nice bunker. If I'm running pistol only, I don't bother with the tank, remote, or fill whip. But this allows me to run with a sidearm as secondary as well. CO2 are in the BTWO pouch on L breast. R bottom pouch, next to dump, can hold 50rnd pod, 30rnd tacpod or grenade.

http://bt.warrior-online.com/forum/u...093_852416.jpg http://bt.warrior-online.com/forum/u...1093_57958.jpg http://bt.warrior-online.com/forum/u...093_989432.jpg
First, your pictures aren't coming through for me.

Just measured the pouched to be about 8"-8.5" deep. Just long enough that the magazines are fully into the pouch below the lip.

Like that you have the patience to reload magazines during play. I don't. When I'm out of pre-loaded mags I'm out of paint for that round. Probably not the best way to do it, but it forces me to use the paint and mags I have sparingly.

Are you using dual pistols? or single. If dual what do you do with the second pistol while going through your reload process.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #298 (permalink)
Ranger of the South

Quote:
First, your pictures aren't coming through for me.

Just measured the pouched to be about 8"-8.5" deep. Just long enough that the magazines are fully into the pouch below the lip.

Like that you have the patience to reload magazines during play. I don't. When I'm out of pre-loaded mags I'm out of paint for that round. Probably not the best way to do it, but it forces me to use the paint and mags I have sparingly.

Are you using dual pistols? or single. If dual what do you do with the second pistol while going through your reload process.
Guys, LMK if the pics are working. I linked them in from picasa instead of from my gallery on the BTWO site.

To answer your question, for now, single pistol, but have been using it as a secondary when using my trracer with the Longbow mag or one of the TMs/Taccap as primary. When I have played pistol as primary, I usually just have the one pistol. That can get very interesting during a non pistol day at a rec field with trigger happy opponents. I love reading about you dual wielders and your exploits, and I still comb the B/S/Ts and look at all the good deals, (those gently used Tibs have been calling my name) but unless I want to keep one pistol as FS only (field permitting), it just seems easier to reload, especially as I can just dedicate one of the mags to FS only and still have the other 3 for paint. Then I have the option to either not fire much so as not to reload (like you mentioned above) or to fire at will & reload when able. I like the flexibility. I figured 3-4 mags optimal, unless you are providing cover fire, in a heavy fire fight, etc. I'm getting at least 28 shots per 12gm (3 full + 3-4+ shots) which would give 96 shots without hassling with the 3-4+ shots per mag. Plus it keeps the rig weight down. For a while, I got fed up with buying 12gms just to use the Tib, but since the airless mags got placed on the back burner, I just bought the 2 extra mags to make the 4 and haven't looked back.

I did play a few games with my SA17 and T8.1 dual wielding. It was pretty wild, but only way to reload is to holster one or put one down, particularly with the feed stick mag on the SA17. Plus, I hate getting caught reloading and not being able to shoot in the middle of a game - my major criticism of the SA17 and the TPX, though opening and shutting the door is a little faster than unscrewing then screwing the "knob".

My MCB Feedback

Last edited by longhornjake; 02-27-2012 at 07:35 PM.
longhornjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #299 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
pictures are working for me

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #300 (permalink)
MCB Member

Here is my evolved version of a wristband. I can't stand harnesses, packs, holsters, or other stuff hanging off me when I am playing pistol/stockclass so wristbands have always been my favorite way to carry paint/c02.

These fit nice and tight and hold 80 rounds and four 12gs between the two. I left the tubes turned in to avoid hard surfaces on the outside.

Sorry they are kindof dirty in the pics.

And a pic with my beater, well loved, poser-duck Nelspot lol.

FYI: USPS Flatrate IS the same price when shipping to Alaska...
Marbo40k is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms