mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #751 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
Out of curiosity, why is the left in a crossdraw? Do you shoot with one in each hand or do you only shoot one at a time, in the right hand?
Reloading co2/paint in the holster, while I cover with the other hand is part of it, but the biggest reason I'm able to benefit from being able to do that is the transitions allowed by my rig.
I switch constantly in game from no pistols, to one and to two. The crossdraw/strongside is the best way to accomodate this. I've practiced to the point that I shoot now with either hand, both hands on one target or both hands on seperate, simultaneous targets.

Pistol in the left, crossdraw empty- I simply holster the pistol with the left hand as the right goes for the full pistol.
Pistol in the left, strongside empty- I reach over the top with the right hand, grabbing it by the valve and holstering it easily in the forward angled strongside. The left dives for the full pistol in the crossdraw the minute the right has it's grip.

Pistol in the right, strongside empty- I simply holster the pistol with the right hand as the left goes for the full pistol.
Pistol in the right, crossdraw empty- I reach over the top with the left hand, grabbing it by the valve and holstering it easily in the forward angled crossdraw. The right dives for the full pistol in the strongside the minute the left has it's grip.

You can see the transition at the 1:05 mark of this cowboy shooting video:
Video: Pistol Shooting Tips for Cowboy Action Shooting | eHow

This gives me simple, fast transitions no matter what and is far more versatile than a strongside/strongside rig.

Dual is easy as both pistols can be drawn well with their hand. The only possible conflict that requires an intermediate step is firing right handed with the crossdraw empty and drawing the second pistol. If I find myself in the poop with my right hand working over a full holster, I will time in pulling the pistol from the right holster and pivoting it into the left with the left hand. Otherwise I would have to switch hands with the pistol to my left, then draw the strongside with the right. A double crossdraw would eliminate that but I prefer a quick strongside draw over that small cost.

The point is not to fire a paintball at every second, but to be able to fire a paintball at ANY necessary second. Being able to smoothly do all that without looking, lets me find more chances to put paint on opponents AND lets me take advantage when I do.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #752 (permalink)
MCB Member

I had this idea and had to see it brought to life. I'm not sure if I'll wear it all the time, but for some situations it will be cool. It fits nicely on the center back of my belt.

I'm taking it back apart here to fold, tighten and dye the outer flap black, but it shows better for pics unfinished.

It holds 5 mags pushed in from either direction. Each magtube is adjustable for tightness seperately and the screws on the front open when I need to hose it out.

Set up for a righty:

Then the only thing left will be lanyarding on the extra caps.

It's really light and an easy grab, weird to think that's 14 trufeeds worth of paint on there!!!

Rob

Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #753 (permalink)
MCB Member

Mr. Smith, that good sir is cool. Would you mind taking a pic of it on you or a visual reference?

Also, have you ever used the milsig fazmags? Your opinion on them? Sorry if you already covered this and I missed it. I'm just looking for your opinion seeing as you generally make a lot of rational sense lol!

Cheers
Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #754 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The age and color on those mag loops lead me to believe you recycled parts off your old leather magslide?

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/

Main: Twin TipX
PGP or Enmey, depending on my mood
Grider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #755 (permalink)
MCB Member

I will get a pic today! Finally have part of a day off.

I've seen the Fazmags and they're very cool, especially for Zetamags, but for trufeeds the Emdom 6o4 pouches are lighter and have cover flaps that protect well against rain and spray. I'm generally not a fan of exposed magazines.
One of the many differences between most pistol players and myself is that I wear two and comfortably reload in the holster when required. I generally prefer to be moving as I reload. It emboldens people and makes them easy targets. With this system fast access to reload mags isn't as crucial as dependable security.

That's a good eye, Grider!
I had six left over and recycled them into this project. 6 was too long and even with 5, without the outer loop it turns and twists. 4 was so short it rolled.

Rob

Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #756 (permalink)
MCB Member

Pic for Slappadapink!

Rob

Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #757 (permalink)
MCB Member

Rob,

That is a sweet setup you made yourself there. Keeps a tight profile and the mags look easily accessible. Thanks for taking the pic and for your answers. Greatly appreciated.

Going to have to get me a leather kit now.

Thanks again.

Harley
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #758 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's so easy a caveman could do it!
Literally!

Rob

Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #759 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
New handloading rig; dead simple:

That's a double Mosin Nagant pouch (holds 30 .68's each side, or one 3357 cylinder), Siuhan shotgun belt and Viper adjustable holster.
The handy thing about it being that I can wear with my SKS rig if I need to carry pyros, or a few extra tubes, or my armour if need be.

I've got an old hunting waistcoat that I've stitched a few loops into to carry 5 tubes as well, but uh...it's not worth a pic.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #760 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Here is my semi pistol rig, or heavy stockclass rig:

Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms