mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

The Official Sidearm "Share Your Rig" Thread

Here's the idea:

Post a picture of your sidearm/pistol rig. Feel free to list what products you used, links to manufacturers, pros and cons, and why you organize your rig the way you do.

Vests, belts, bandoliers, jean pockets, whatever you use to carry your spare ammo and air while running with your sidearm!
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Rig #1- The AgentSmith Quasi-RipOff

Uses (from left to right):

-2" duty belt
-2 x 10 pouch for 10 round tubes by Whiskey Two-Four, lashed together using paracord to form a "stacked pouch"
-RAP4 Molle Holster for one Warsensor Zeus or Dart Engineering DRV
-Opsgear Dump Pouch
-RAP4 Elastic 10 round tube holder (holds 5, attached with zipties laced through holes punched in the belt because RAP advertises these as MOLLE and they are not)
-RAP4 Molle Holster for one Warsensor Zeus or Dart Engineering DRV
-Condor Shotgun Shell Pouch for CO2 Cartridges

Total Capacity: 250 rounds (310 if I stuff 3 tubes in each front holster pocket)

Pros: High ammo capacity, minimum profile for a dual rig, most of the ammo is on the offhand side easily within reach

Cons: RAP holsters need to be replaced with something better, preferably with a thumb break retention, not a fan of the velcro strap. Somewhat heavy, 12g's are useless in the winter (the shotgun shell pouch comes off and a small HPA tank holder gets placed between the right side holster and the dump pouch).

Additional comments: Lots of ideas from a bunch of different folks here, particularly AgentSmith and WickedKlownz. The lefthand holster is crossdraw, mainly intended as a backup for the primary Zeus, rather than dual-wielding. Ammo is biased to the non-shooting hand for ease of access, I don't have to reach across my body or look down to find a fresh tube. Empties get tossed right into the dump pouch and out of the way. The top loading mods with Smiley's spring guide rods make loading ridiculously fast, and his captured CO2 plugs are probably the greatest mod for the Zeus ever. Easy to turn, easy to release, no grinding sensation when tightening like with the stock plug, and no way to LOSE your plug (which I did, several times, with the stock ones). The only drawback is the holsters are sort of bleh, I need to find something better.

Rig #2- The "It's Practically Not a Pistol Anymore" Rig

Uses:

-2" Duty Belt
-3 x Condor M4 Triple Mag "Shingle" Pouches
-APP 30-round TacPods
-Opsgear Tank Pouch w/ 68/4500 tank (looking for a smaller, lighter one)
-Remote Line
-BT SA17 with APP 50 round hopper, modded for air-thru grip, BT/Empire mock suppressor (modded to actually work), Trigger drilled for setscrew to remove pre-travel slack, Pachmayr American Legends grips.

Total Capacity: 270 rounds

Pros: High ammo capacity both on-rig and on-gun, fast draw of TacPods, fast reload of hopper, light and low drag (will be even better with a smaller tank), doesn't rely on 12g's.

Cons: Hopper adds bulk to the gun and blocks some view over the top, prevents pistol from being holstered which is why no holster is used, somewhat hard to reach the rearmost tacpods. Also relies on gravity feed so some shooting angles are limited.

Additional Comments: This is what happens when KEE craps the bed and recalls the SA17 for a non-issue, the solution to which is neutering the leverchanger to the point where it's not even worth trying to run 12 grams in this thing. Which is a shame, because it has the best 12ie efficiency of any semi auto pistol I've shot. The springfeed of the SA17 is also iffy at best, so until I have time to adapt the Zeus top-loading mod to that, the hopper seemed like the way to go. I originally thought this up for a TTPL rig but didn't have time to complete it before the tournament in October. Haven't gotten to use it yet so don't have much in the way of on-field input. Yes, the suppressor works. I think someone at KEE designed it to be easily adapted on purpose (Simon?). Drill some holes, add some packing and you're in business. Quite literally the only sound out of this gun when firing is the hammer slamming back and forth. Which leave it louder than most electros but for sure the quietest blowback I've used.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 02-11-2011 at 05:44 PM.
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

Looks good!
I will post pictures hopefully this week of the rig I am building.
Its going to be a universal belt rig that I can use when playing with my spring fed PGP or my T8.

Consider this a reserved spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
9 times out of 10, it's an electric razor. But sometimes...

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
This thread needs to be stickied.

I'll post my rig tomorrow. I gotta give huge thanks to GodzHate (also known as Pistolz here or Sin on UMS) for replacing pretty much my entire rig.

EDIT: Heres my rig:

And in the pockets:
A battle swab and a pair of extra 12 grams

And six 10 round tubes for refills

And for the details:
RAP4 Vest (old style - Velcro front not MOLLE front)
Blackbird (Tiberius rename) Holster
Blackbird (Tiberius rename) Magazine Pouch (used for the 10 round tubes)
Tiberius drop leg Tri-Mag holster
A pair of Full Grip gloves (work beautifully - outstanding grip especially when paired with the GodzHate grip)

MY FEEDBACK

Last edited by skullcandy1993; 02-16-2011 at 12:31 AM.
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Space Monkey 615 !!!

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Here's mine and I get alot of questions about it all the time...

( You will have to excuse my helper as he is only 4 years old )

You can see my review on the Whiskey Two-Four Pouches which also has everything shown in the above pics. : Whiskey Two-Four Stock Class Pouches

WK2

Proudly Sponsored by Urban Ops Armory, FullClipUSA, Hammerhead, CPX Sports and RANGER UP <--Click the Ranger Up link and receive 20% off your purchase

MCB - Feedback for WickedKlown2,,, Automags.Org Online Forums - Feedback for WickedKlown2

Last edited by WickedKlown2; 07-16-2011 at 01:22 AM.
WickedKlown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Cool thread. I'll keep it going here.

Kinda lame compared to the awesome setups above lol.

-Nelspot 007
-stocklass wristband

Capacity: 40 rounds (three tubes ten in the gun)

I have used a lot of different holster setups, belts, vests, and have found this to be my favorite "setup". I play alot of rec speedball or fast woodsball games so there really is no need for extra paint.

FYI: USPS Flatrate IS the same price when shipping to Alaska...
Marbo40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
This is my nelspot set up, app holster and a bandolier of 12grams and 10 round tubes, and a dump pouch in front.

For the tac8 I use this specops rig, 6 magazines, dump pouch and a kydex holster on the 2 inch webbing in the small of the back.

These are my favorite setups for rec play, usually play 2 fields(4 games) this way before reloading tubes/magazines, woods or speedball.
For a scenario I would just combine them.

Last edited by dundadun; 02-16-2011 at 01:33 AM.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I'm still tweaking mine. So far it consists of:
  • TPX w/ CA
  • Remote Line
  • 8 mags (3 tru feed 7 round, 5 standard 8 round)
  • Rap4 Vest w/ Tank pouch
  • 2x Rap4 Molle Dual Mag Pouch
  • 1x Whiskey Two Four Tripple Mag Pouch
  • Web Belt
  • 3.5oz in 50rd pod pouch
  • UTG Shoulder Holster w/ dual Mag Pouch
  • Ronin Drop Leg Holster

I'll get pics up tomorrow. I'm wanting a holster for my Vest, but I'm not sure about keeping the vest. It's one that's supposed to fit L-4XL, but it's really big on my and I'm between a Large and X-Large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside

Last edited by chopper duke; 02-17-2011 at 03:48 PM.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Reserving for my spot. Recently picked up a vest too, so I'll have some fun with that.

NXe Extraktion Base (flipped upside down)
NXe Extraktion Large Pouch (holds my keys and microfiber)
Generic Molle Shotgun Shell Pouch (12ies)
PBMafia Leg Harness (will occasionally run two)
Spec Ops 5 Loop Molle Holder (two, one on the pouch, one on the harness)

Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Afro Ninja

I found that a shotgun ammo belt holds 10 round tubes and CO2 quite well. And as an experiment I removed the threads between two of the loops and found that a TPX mag fits in perfectly, and interestingly enough a 3.5oz CO2 tank does as well. Once I get it setup I will post pics. I am trying to go for the lightest constant air setup that I can. I figure about 7 mags should be enough. And if I needed more I could probably add 2 x 50 round pods for refills.
WickedTangoFox is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms