mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #111 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
What concern do you have for reliability regarding the sear and bolt cycle? I'm sure it could be done without sacrificing reliability but it would mean a whole redesign and that would be expensive.

Here's how AGD handles it: Airgun Designs - Download Manuals, Diagrams and Instructions
Which manual is it that has a bolt out the back? I must have skipped over it while skimming them, and I'm not overly familiar with AGD stuff. I've always wanted one, but haven't had reason to look too closely into their workings.

But my worry is that with the Tiberius, there is a thing that the bolt catches on its return to reset the sear. What I can't see is an easy way to get around this without a major redesign of the reg and trigger block.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #112 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
2. Optional "Pierce on insert" magazines. So we can ready magazines, but not waste a CO2 cartridge if we don't use them.
Pierce on insert would be pretty cool and save quite a bit over the long term

This is related to my number one "issue" with the Tiberius design where the TPX has a clear advantage ... It's more expensive to use than TPX when it comes to 12 grams. With the Tiberius, at the end of the day I'm often left with 2 to 6 half used 12 grams. Sure that's "only" $1-$3 in 12 grams, but that's per outing. Last year I went out to the field over a dozen times. So I spent $24-$36 more last year then I would have with a TPX on 12 grams alone. Sure it's not breaking the bank kinda money, but it's still a small annoyance. Using it a primary though ... it's the price you pay for all the ready to use mags.

This is also why the TPX is at the top of my recommendation list for "just/mostly a sidearm." If you don't use it at all, you don't use any 12 grams. To prep the T8/8.1 as a sidearm you need to pierce a few 12 grams regardless of how much you use it that day.

That's why my top two questions:
1. Do you want to use First Strike rounds? Yes -> T8.1 / No -> Either
2. Plan to use it mainly as a sidearm? Yes -> TPX / No -> Either

After that imho it's all personal preference either due to comfort or differences in play-style.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #113 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Which manual is it that has a bolt out the back? I must have skipped over it while skimming them, and I'm not overly familiar with AGD stuff. I've always wanted one, but haven't had reason to look too closely into their workings.

But my worry is that with the Tiberius, there is a thing that the bolt catches on its return to reset the sear. What I can't see is an easy way to get around this without a major redesign of the reg and trigger block.
I thought it was evident in the diagram.

YouTube - Airgun Designs 68 Automag

Here at 4.16 in the video Tom Kaye extracts the valve.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #114 (permalink)

Pre-SN#2000 T8.1s had a back cap that was connected to the powertube. This made it possible to extract and oil the powertube just by unscrewing and pulling out the rear cap. Not full bolt out the back, but enough to make regular maintenance a snap.

Sadly ... the remote kit killed that. :tears: :cry:
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache

Last edited by VooDooAddict; 03-17-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #115 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHTANGELZ View Post
You say durable I say not, I've seen them damaged-
Heavy? By ounces with better Durability. Lolzz if you ask me tippmans ripping you guys off -$30 for a pair of dollar store clips, heh heh.

Well agentSmith, what do you want? Us to say the tpx is better? Because its not true, that's just your opinion. I'm standing strong against the tpx; Tiberius Arms. It is the individuals opinion. In reality .. the way I play at least, make every round count, and not switch out the clip in the first place (extended clips always help, but those are only for Tiberius).
You have your marker, I have mine, and at the end of the day when the co2 and mags are empty, the player decides the outcome not the marker.

You say the tpx is better, no problem.
I say the Tiberius is better because: more options, farther distance (when needed), easier breakdown, excellent customer service, quality, quality, quality.

Ive had my marker 2-3 times longer than the tpx's life span- and will continue along with it...
I've got a TPX that has 10 cases through it working fine, not a story about how someone's cousin's brother's girlfriend saw ferris bueller pass out at 31 flavors. I've seen strokers get crushed too what's your point? With BOTH Tippmann and Tiberius, if something breaks they replace it, I consider them a tie. Don't just blow things up to be important that aren't. I NEVER beefed on this score, you're once again arguing with someone you made up, not me.

While I'm actually for once not biting my tongue and letting people think whatever they want, I might as well offend anybody else I missed.

Farther distance? now you're just teasing me.
If you're referring to the first strike, some of you should know I modded my TPX to shoot first strikes and did a fair amount of play with it.

Hell Surviviors had figured out a way to integrate them into game play, as PC would make the colors match the lighter grenade paint shade that HS uses and grenade rules could apply. Even a speck of light blue is a hit with a grenade and you're out to compensate for the small amount of paint in first strikes. That fell through at PC end from what I heard.

I'm glad. I don't want to use first strikes at all myself and I'm not thrilled with the idea of anybody in a game I'm in using them either. Hits even farther away due to retained velocity are dramatic, but closer hits are, in my opinion, over the top. Not everyone where I play wears full BDU all the time.
I've been watching Weltman play in no shirt for 20 years now I think.
I would call myself out before I pulled the trigger on him at 40'.
They cut people and hurt as much as california magnums.
I am NOT elite, I play regularly with strange players from ages 12 to 60, no way.
I'm just not for them unless it's a limited scenario including only experienced teams. OF COURSE, I'm sure you're all absolutely safe with them and you've never seen anything like I'm talking about and think I'm crazy.

I don't want you guys to say the TPX is better, as I know you honestly don't believe it! There's no anger on my end, I honestly feel I'm trying to help.

What I WOULD like you guys to do, sometime later, even with only one trusted cohort around, is to take an Chrony or an ROF meter and actually count the only measurement you need. The important measurement is from your last aimed shot before ANY change(co2 or paint) to your first aimed shot after. That makes sense right? The question is really 'How long are you out of comission?', no matter what you're doing.
Have the person stopwatch the shots, which have to be aimed well enough to set off the radar. That's how long your change is. With 2 pistols, it should be possible to go through a change without ever dropping below the ROFs minimum of 3 bps.
Don't PM me or ever say another word about it, I've said my piece and the next time we folks talk, I'll say no more about it. I've said my measurements in plain type. If you match them then I WOULD AGREE with you that your pistol is great and that this was simply a question of which was most OVERQUALIFIED to be a primary. Because I couldn't make those times with a T8. I tried, I practiced , I played.

3 brothers walk into a hotel and want to share a room. The hotel manager says he only has the presidential suite and that it's $300. Each brother gives the manager a $100 dollar bill and they go up to their room. The manager realizes the room was only $250, so he gives the bellboy 5 $10s to take to the brothers. They didn't tip the bellboy and he doesn't want to make change for each, so he gives each brother back $10 and keeps $20.
They each paid $100 and got $10 back, so each paid $90. $90 times 3 brothers is $270, and the bellboy kept $20 maikng $290, where's the other $10?

The point of that story is that just because a position is logically consistent and can't be argued against successfully doesn't mean it is TRUE.
To know what is true, you have to put all the money on a table and count it. To know what is true for YOU, much less me, in paintball, you have to time it.

Rob out

Last edited by agentSmith; 03-17-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #116 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

yea.. the reason why its not myself commenting on *my damaged tpx is because I sold it before my T8.05s saw me using it! (I didn't buy it, it was given). I told my friend not to buy it, and now its a non functioning "demo" marker, ever here that phrase "shoulda bought a V8" ... yea .. "shoulda bought a T8".

I attempted to keep this thread on a neutral point Apples and Oranges.
But NoOoOoOo, there can only be one according to AgentSmith.
It's On!

Every valid point that presents a flaw in the tpx, you choose to make excuses for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
****The Tpx: bad design, Clam shell with 7 screws w/ a needed clocksmith license, or else pieces are flying all over the place >>

I would like the TPX to be easier to disassemble too, but I would not use a marker I consider inferior to it in play because it came apart easier in the dead zone. I pay the toll.

----Your still paying tolls?! Join the Ipass call customer service @ 18889822842

****Tiberius has farther distance with first strike capabilities for cheaper marker price:

I'm glad. I don't want to use first strikes at all myself and I'm not thrilled with the idea of anybody in a game I'm in using them either.I'm just not for them unless it's a limited scenario including only experienced teams. OF COURSE, I'm sure you're all absolutely safe with them and you've never seen anything like I'm talking about and think I'm crazy.

----Your not crazy... ...

****Tiberius's Durability surpasses the Tpx, Not "cheap"

I've seen strokers get crushed too what's your point? With BOTH Tippmann and Tiberius, if something breaks they replace it, I consider them a tie.

----I dont remember the vs competition ever having a stroker in it. But, guess what Tiberius still surpasses the Tpx. I can guarantee Tippman has had more phone calls on unsatisfaction, than Tiberius has.

****Speed-

What I WOULD like you guys to do, sometime later, even with only one trusted cohort around, is to take an Chrony or an ROF meter and actually count the only measurement you need. The important measurement is from your last aimed shot before ANY change(co2 or paint) to your first aimed shot after. That makes sense right? The question is really 'How long are you out of comission?', no matter what you're doing.
----Longer than Tiberius! bahaha
sigh.. that was fun. ahem

Im all about having each player enjoy their choice whether its from Walmart or a Pro Shop, because the bottom-line is that their supporting our sport and enjoying it, more times than not its always the funds that decide. They make the wrong initial purchase? Its okay, time and money can fix that. If anyone approaches me with questions, they will get honest answers, since the Kilcam Vids garnished alot of attention and continue to do so, it happens continuously. The last couple vids have lyrical stories and the next will have informational assistance as well, of course about TA and the setup w/ Pistol Techniques. So all of these post responses are all too familiar with why I choose what I choose and do what I do.

Last edited by MIDNIGHTANGELZ; 03-17-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm glad. I don't want to use first strikes at all myself and I'm not thrilled with the idea of anybody in a game I'm in using them either. Hits even farther away due to retained velocity are dramatic, but closer hits are, in my opinion, over the top. Not everyone where I play wears full BDU all the time.
I've been watching Weltman play in no shirt for 20 years now I think.
I would call myself out before I pulled the trigger on him at 40'.
They cut people and hurt as much as california magnums.
I am NOT elite, I play regularly with strange players from ages 12 to 60, no way.
I'm just not for them unless it's a limited scenario including only experienced teams. OF COURSE, I'm sure you're all absolutely safe with them and you've never seen anything like I'm talking about and think I'm crazy.
This is unfortunate. Playing with someone last year who exclusively shot first strikes and nothing else, we didn't see any of the problems you have reported. I've also seen none of these problems reported on the Tiberius forum (either here on MCB, PBN, or the official Tib forum). I'm not saying they didn't happen. I'm saying that if they did happen, they are either atypical, or they are either not being talked about. Considering how much people love to talk on the internet, I'm leaning towards atypical till I see evidence to the contrary.

I'd sure like to see some first hand accounts and photos of "they cut people".
I'm not arguing that the impact isn't at times different then a regular paintball. Maybe I'm just too fat and slow, and get hit too often, but I've drawn blood plenty of times from getting shot with regular paintballs. Without details "they cut people" is too vague and implies that regular paintballs do not.

Maybe I'm being an *** ... but I've got no sympathy for someone who plays shirtless complaining about impacts. Because someone wants to play unsafe doesn't mean that I need to switch to shooting .43/.50 cal at 250fps. In those situations, Mr. Shirtless is the one doing something unsafe not the shooter. This is especially true if he has a personal problem with FS rounds, and knows FS rounds are being used at that event/field. If you want to play shirtless, take up beach volleyball or street basketball. Not a sport where your body is the target.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #118 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Have the person stopwatch the shots, which have to be aimed well enough to set off the radar. That's how long your change is. With 2 pistols, it should be possible to go through a change without ever dropping below the ROFs minimum of 3 bps.
Don't PM me or ever say another word about it, I've said my piece and the next time we folks talk, I'll say no more about it. I've said my measurements in plain type. If you match them then I WOULD AGREE with you that your pistol is great and that this was simply a question of which was most OVERQUALIFIED to be a primary. Because I couldn't make those times with a T8. I tried, I practiced , I played.
Wait, are you suggesting that ROF is king, and that you can have the highest rate of fire over a period with two markers? How many hands do you have? With one marker in my hand I have my other hand free to deal with feeding it magazines, even to reload those magazines, and anything else I need a free hand to do.

And I don't break my rate of fire during a reload. A break on a bunker a few feet to the side of my target is a shot that didn't need to be taken.

Quote:
3 brothers walk into a hotel and want to share a room. The hotel manager says he only has the presidential suite and that it's $300. Each brother gives the manager a $100 dollar bill and they go up to their room. The manager realizes the room was only $250, so he gives the bellboy 5 $10s to take to the brothers. They didn't tip the bellboy and he doesn't want to make change for each, so he gives each brother back $10 and keeps $20.
They each paid $100 and got $10 back, so each paid $90. $90 times 3 brothers is $270, and the bellboy kept $20 maikng $290, where's the other $10?

The point of that story is that just because a position is logically consistent and can't be argued against successfully doesn't mean it is TRUE.
The point of the story is how to fail at math using illogical statements and poor accounting practices.
+300 for the inn, -300 for the brothers.
-50 for the in, +30 for the brothers, +20 for the bellboy.
+250 for the in, -270 for the brothers. Add the bellboy's 20 in, and the brothers are back to -250.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #119 (permalink)
Unseen

Send a message via AIM to Vitamin J

Hey Smith, could you post up some more detailed pics of how you modified your mags to accept FS rounds?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #120 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooAddict View Post
I'd sure like to see some first hand accounts and photos of "they cut people".
I'm not arguing that the impact isn't at times different then a regular paintball. Maybe I'm just too fat and slow, and get hit too often, but I've drawn blood plenty of times from getting shot with regular paintballs. Without details "they cut people" is too vague and implies that regular paintballs do not.
Not seeing it doesn't make it less true. Well, unless you're Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

All you have to do is look, the accounts are out there and have been from the beginning.

One review of many on the great big web covering the issue

I'm for FS and FS compatibility, but it's clear that folks out there don't know all the facts. Knowledge is power. The fins on the FS are well known to cause cutting skin when they fragment. That is fact.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms