mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
ex-cyborg

Send a message via Yahoo to melkson

Brass N Wood Fan
You should consider an 8.0 not 8.1 as you don't care about the first strike option.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverdudeson View Post
I've tried a squall, and it feels too cumbersome to me, i want to be able to extend my arm and point and shoot.
Eat your wheaties!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pinnacle Paintball

CCM Fan
This week I was playing indoor with the TPX (260 fps) slow paced shots and clearing four mags per 12g. Perhaps not typical, but impressive.

Pinnacle Paintball
www.pinnaclepaintballsupply.com

Your Canadian Pump Paintball Supply
Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverdudeson View Post
I would primary be playing shorter games, under thirty minutes, and using it as a primary. Whats the efficiency on these like?
Honest opinion, if the tac8 is comfortable in your hand, then I would go that.
I can carry 6 mags plus 10 round tubes and 12grams comfortably for half hour games. With the short game format, you won't need to rush any 12gram changes, just swap mags and go go go.

Carried it today as a secondary and the mag weight plus gun weight gets tiring. But just carrying the mags alone is fine.
If you were doing just a backup gun, or a really long scenario, then I would save the weight by going with a tpx and it's mags.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Alright, I'll look into an T8, i'm unfamiliar with Tiberius products and am not sure of all the models' capabilities
Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
tac8 - original pistol
tac9 is the original rifle, can be trimmed down and made as small as the tac8

tac8.1 and 9.1 are the newer first strike capable versions, and if you pay for the first strike mags they weigh a bit less I believe.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I couldn't disagree more.
As Dundadun says for his T8 he can carry 6 mags Plus 10rd tubes and CO2.

For the same weight as those 6 T8 mags you can carry over 20 TPX mags and have no need for the 10rd tubes.
Add in the fact that T8 mags are $50 and TPX mags $15, also a T8 mags weighs around a pound, a TPX mag weighs 3oz.
3 loaded T8 magazines weigh more than a loaded TPX PISTOL with 3 mags.

SO for the PRICE of 6 T8 mags you can buy 20 TPX mags and for the WEIGHT of 6 T8 mags with no co2 cyl even in them, you can have 24 TPXmags.

With a TPX you have the additional time of loading co2.
This is nothing compared to the time you spend with a T8 reloading mags with paint to get at that so-called 'extra' co2!
To get the advantage of the co2 in the T8 mag you must reload paint into each mag twice on the field instead of slapping in yet another mag!

So with a T8, you have to pour paint into a mag like a person would load the mag of a zeus.
THEN put that mag in like you would a TPX.
Like loading 2 pistols in a row just to fire....

I would never argue with anyone who said 'they liked' the T8 better. Nor would I argue with anyone who 'preferred' the T8.

However anyone who says that the T8 is a better primary than a TPX is incorrect. It's not true based on objective facts.
Paintball, in the final analysis is about fun through, try them both and use whichever you find more fun!

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 03-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post

With a TPX you have the additional time of loading co2.
This is nothing compared to the time you spend with a T8 reloading mags with paint to get at that so-called 'extra' co2!
To get the advantage of the co2 in the T8 mag you must reload paint into each mag twice on the field instead of slapping in yet another mag!
Rob
Best argument for the TPX over the tib yet. I too was thinking about the tibs being superior as you wouldn't have to change CO2, but reloading the mags is a pain AND not fast to do when under fire. For that reason I went back to a squall as if I was gonna have to carry a 10 round tubes and load something anyway, I only wanted to load it once. Plus my squall has 10 rounds instead of 8 (or 7) for the TPX. I can see the case for the TPX a lot more now...but I'm not putting down the squall any time soon.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
ex-cyborg

Send a message via Yahoo to melkson

Brass N Wood Fan
Just a FYI on pricing. Tib mags MSRP is only $29.99 (and thats the FS version). Many retailers are selling at old prices though, as they bought the inventory before the price drop.

The reason I Like the T8 is that I don't have to change my 12g after a few mags. I own 5 mags, and can get an easy 24 shots (3 loads) per 12g. thats 120rds with 5 mags. If you had a TPX, you would need 17 mags to get the same shot count with no reloading.

But it all boils down to preference. To me, the TPX feels like a toy I used to have when I was a kid, and I expect to see pennies fly out when I pull the trigger. I just seems like it's fragile. The T8 on the other hand is big, yes. I have big hands, not a problem. I HATE changing 12g in a game, and it makes a great marker for my needs.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
However anyone who says that the T8 is a better primary than a TPX is incorrect. It's not true based on objective facts.
Saying it more vehemently or with a longer post does not make something a fact, nor are facts determined based on your preference to use something that suits your playing style best. You should be sure to point out the extensive amount of mods to the guns and your gear that you required to get your TPXs to be "best", so if the OP is not looking or able to spend time re-manufacturing his marker, fabricating ancillary tools and stitching up custom harnesses, he's aware that you did.

OP: Use the search button. This thread comes up about every 2 weeks and you should have no trouble finding a plethora of threads from the last two years on the very same topic. Also look for threads with T8 problems and TPX problems to give you an idea of how much troubleshooting is associated with each.

My opinion is T8 unless you care about cost/weight. I owned a pre-order TPX for about 3 days and quickly traded it, for several reasons.
  • As mentioned it felt like a toy with the all-polymer (aka plastic) clamshells.
  • I hated the ergonomics as the molded-in finger grooves were not in the right position for me to grip the gun intuitively.
  • The CO2 system sucks IMO.
  • The 8 round mags don't work as intended, evidenced by Tippmann redesigning them with reduced capacity.
I will explain my CO2 comment, since it's one of the virtues AS was extolling so heavily. The problem is two-fold. First, it's not easy to change a 12 gram that is not fully expended. You test your gun and find you're (hypothetically) getting a number of usable shots that is not divisible by 8 (or 7 with the new mags), it would make sense that you're going to either be changing your 12 gram mid-magazine, or just "wasting" the last few shots in order to ensure you have fresh CO2 and a fresh magazine at a time when it's convenient to change both. As the gas well is pressurized, it's really hard to get that knob off while it's pressurized because it's small and under pressure. AS has a special tool he MacGyver'ed up to allow him to do that easily and expediently, which he neglected to mention.

Second, on the note of convenience - there's a lull in the action, and you've got a couple seconds to refresh your gun. You swap mags, dump your old 12 gram, and put a new one in. How do you know you have a good 12 gram? You have to remember to fire the gun to pierce the cartridge, and if it doesn't pierce? There goes another few seconds to remove the dud and replace it (hoping you don't get 2 in a row). If you're buying field or WalMart 12ies and not spending the premium for Lelands, this can be an issue. With the T8, you're pre-testing your CO2 in the staging area, and you know that there is gas in the mag. Change mags, you're good. I will concede that it may take (marginally) longer to dump paint out of an 8 round tube into a T8 mag than it does to swap a 12 gram in a TPX..but paint isn't a potential dud. Finally, if you didn't remember to pre-pierce when you changed your cart, you've lined up that perfect shot and squeeze the trigger...only to get no bang, because you just pierced your cartridge instead of firing a ball.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms