mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

Tubes are less awkward, and you can choose exactly how much ammo to carry. Im sure there would be a market for said pod though.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
you guys mean like this:

Pursuit Pods.com

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

Forgot about those.... I still prefer 10 rounders though.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Thanks for the tips so far. Keep em coming!

When I was a tanker in the army I started in the loader position. I was to load 75lb 120mm shells in seven seconds. My tank commander didn't like the idea of not being able to shoot for those seven seconds so he gave me some tips on how to load faster using different methods to decrease my time by minimizing unneccesary movements. After my first gunnery I was down to 3.25 seconds. By the time I got out I was down to 2.38 seconds(best in the battalion, thank you, no autographs please) and loading for multiple crews during competitive gunnery runs. Though almost 5 seconds difference between shots may not sound like a big deal, count it out loud yourself and see how long that feels. Especially if you were staring at an enemy tank with a crew trying to kill you.

I bring this up as one of the reasons I started this thread. AgentSmith's tip is a great example of moving in the most efficient way possible. Everyone seems to have things that work for them so please keep sharing no matter how trivial it is. If it helps you, throw it out there!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

I didn't mention the pursuitpods as Manning and I had already discussed them, they are why I refer to anything having to do with 10rd tubes in the past tense. I keep a few to use for ball sizers(it's easier to recognize a diameter change in a 10stack than a single ball), I'll not carry them on the field ever again.

Like tubes, the pistolpods take some work and some practice to get fast with. In my opinion, once you pay that toll, they are the best, most efficient option.

I'd much rather deal with the option on the right:

My pistolpod method with my P68sc was to draw the pistolpod and open the feedhole with my left hand after pumping in the last shot I planned before the change. When ready, I would clamp it against my side with my right wrist(gunhand), pull the plug with my left and grab the pod, filling the tube. Then I'd clamp it back with my right wrist, replace the plug and holster the pod with my left. A little more complex, but not noticeably slower once I got the hang of it.

You ever hear of anyone vacuumloading the 120mm, Manning? With the hatches closed rocking the older 105mm cannon and it's brass and aluminum shells, you could hold a round in air over the breech then when the gunner fired you simply let go of the nose and the vacuum would literally suck the round right from your hands, ClangSlam! Our fastest was 2 rounds on target in 8 seconds going 15mph, the load itself was literally a few seconds. Our loader had rigged himself an underarm loop from(IIRC) a firstaid box or something on the turret ceiling that let him stand pretty well even on the move.
Good times!
They were around 40lbs for sabot, I don't think too many folks could straightarm 70 in a moving tank

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 04-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Did you lay the round on something for the 105? Like did the breech slide open horizontally? The 120 has a breech block that slides up and down.

The 120 round casing is combustible except for the very last 3 inches (aft cap) or so that got ejected into the turret. Obviously red hot aft caps contacting a combustible 120mm tank shell didnt turn out well for the crew so they were stored behind balistic doors. Before a round was fired the door had to be closed which axed the practice of lap loading. The door was hydraulically controlled by a knee switch and took about 4 seconds to open fully. You could grab a round in the sweet spot after about 1 second though. I'd have loved to see this vacuum loading!

As for the vacuum in a turret I've seen what sabot rounds going a mile a second do to people inside a turret. Sucks em right out that 3 inch hole. Well most of them anyway...
Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

No the breech block looks the same. It's the vacuum inside the FIRING tank, when the gun recoiled it's 11.5 inches and shot the shell out inside the buttoned up tank that pulled the new one out of your hands and sucked it into the breech. The turret floor was sponson boxes with MG ammo except in the center, there was a good low spot that could handle 6 or 7 casings before it got over your cav boots. We had some sweet asbestos mittens! That almost cost me a rank, when I got caught on a training range firing the coax dismounted wearing the mittins(the M240 was a saw with no forearm or stock and if the situation required I would NOT have left it behind in favor of the M3 grease gun.

The electrically fired 105s were in exposed racks(like the ones inside your doors). There's no competition between the 2 systems, there were racks in the hull section AND the rear of the turret of the Pattons, any hit that penetrated was a total death sentence for all inside. Maybe that's why they didn't bother to give us hand to hand combat training.
I have some pics I'll try to scan in tomorrow.

Ooh, here's a good youtube tour of the turret! A little tour of prehistory!

YouTube - The US M60 A3 tank firing on the range, tour of the turret & its equipment

Fellow muscle in the combat arm of decision,
Rob

Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Sweet! The 120 is also electrically fired and we still used the M240. I had one mounted outside my loader hatch and the coax is also a M240. We had the 120mm rounds behind the doors with blowout plates on the top of the turret over the ammo storage. Supposedly the doors would shield the crew as the rounds exploded up and away from the crew. I wouldnt want to experience that though. The Abrams also has rounds in the hull too!

Sorry for getting this off topic. Just a couple of old tankers sharing stories of our cadillacs of the battlefield.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I think we need to rename the "Sidearms" forum the "SideTRACKED" forum lol... No conversation ever stays on topic here hahaha
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Who us, detour? We're just waiting around for new tips!

I heard of a case in the first gulf war where an M1 got pointblanked by a t72, they had run into an area where bunkered T72s had been left off for days to get their heat signature down, had marked all but one based on spotting Tank commanders using NV goggs. The round did penetrate the m1 and blow the ammo, all 4 crewmen were evacuated to other vehicles under their own steam. That'd be the bellringer to end all bellringers! The T72 never had time to get another in the pipe.

Rob

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms