mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Springfeed speed reloading techniques

So I currently shoot a squall and, though I reload fairly quickly, I'm practicing on improving my time and was wondering if you guys had any tips on getting a few precious seconds back. I do not shoot a high ROF, nor do I want to, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone has a method that works for them.

My current squall has the removable plug in case you were wondering and I use a PB Mafia drop leg stock class harness for normal games and am still developing a rig for larger games. Have a ronin gear elite stock class pack but I'm not sold on it.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Capless harness, something not ronin gear, preferably PBmafia joyride. Since you use a springfeed, pretty much a new harness and a lot of practice will get you the quickest possible.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
The capless joyride was next on my "To purchase" list. Glad to hear it's recommended.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I favor caps solely for the reason that I almost always have a full tube in my offhand to save time on reloads. It doesn't necessarily make the actual reloading process any faster but it saves time fishing around for a full tube so it can make a difference under fire. Without cutting or grinding on the feed tube for a top-feed mod, I really can't think of anything besides practice (practice practice) to expedite the reload itself. Not that I blame you for not wanting to hack up a Squall lol...

Look at my left hand in this pic:
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Still practicing with reballs and I'm getting faster. I'm trying to figure out the fastest method by experimenting with which hand I pull the plug with and which hand holds the tube etc. For capless harnesses, it seems like you'd dump paint alot when pulling them out. Anyone experience issues with this? It would seem that any speed gained by not removing a cap would be lost as you have to pay attention to the orintation of the tube.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

If you have speed caps, use them to hang a tube from your trigger guard (but keep your hand on it so it doesn't fall off. When you go to reload, just pull down on the tube.
/Drakk_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
A Little Grainy

If you do it right, you pull the tube straight down and cover the mouth with your thumb and every thing works dandy. Also, with my PBMafia joyride I shove the tube back in the loop upside - down, that way the round bottom of the tube helps guide it in, and you won't grab an empty tube.
Supergyro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I also like caps on, though I never liked the standard speed caps, as they fell off all the time when the cap was off and loose.
The standard 'leather punch a hole in the cap and push a knotted rubberband through', cheapo method was always my favorite until I quit using tubes.

Whether stuck back in a loop empty or tossed in a dump pouch, they always came out ready to go.

My method for carry was to have a basic rig that I always used to maximize my comfort and speed, then to have 'mule' packs that I could reload my harness with:

I bought 3 of these. I could alice clip(they had belt attachment too) 2 of them back to back. This gave me 40 tubes and 20 co2. At big games, when I hit the deadzone in a hurry to get back to battle, I could dump my empties and grab the shoulder pack, reload my whole 20 tube rig and have the stuff to do it all over again.

When I was speedloading my P68SC, I would have the tube in my left hand still capped, with the top between the ring and middle finger and the rest sticking out the bottom of my hand. This gave me index finger, middle finger and thumb to pull the plug. Holding the plug with my index, middle and thumb, I would push the bottom of the tube against my side, sliding it up through the loop of my thumb and index until the tube stuck above the plug. As I did this I rolled the plug between the tube and my fingers freeing my thumb. I'd pop the top of the tube with my thumb and pour in the paint. Rolling the plug and tube in my hand to drop the tube, I'd replace the plug.
It sounds more complicated than it is, I hope it makes sense.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

Joyride all the way. When pulling the tube, once the mouth gets past the elastic band, put your thumb over the opening.

I never put my tubes back in the harness. All that does is take time to put them back, and more time trying to differentiate which tube is full, and which is empty. I stuff empties into my cargo pockets, or down the front of my shirt (the harness keeps the tube from dropping out the bottom. A dump pouch would work too. That way all I have to do is reach behind me and the first tube I feel, I know is good to go.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Come to think of it why do we use tubes? Wouldn't you get the same if not better effect by carrying around some kind of pod which had a funnel cap on it to reload your spring feed directly?
/Drakk_ is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms