mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks a ton for this PistolRogue. There is not a lot of custom jobs done on the SA 17 yet. I absolutely love mine and plan on "borrowing" some of the things you did.

After I teach myself how to sew, I'll have to post some pics of my pistol rig in the stickies thread.

I don't play pistol as a primary as much as I would like to due to not wanting to drag my team down in scenarios but I try to get a few hours with the pistol each game. All the info on the boards should help me squeeze in a few more hours each scenario.

eBay Feedback
MCB Feedback +4
Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Haha Defect, I almost can't blame you for not fully committing to it just yet. But I'll be honest, the more you play with just a pistol, it gradually becomes the only way to play... I put on a pod pack and pick up a regular marker now and it just BOTHERS me. I legitimately feel restricted and bulky. Most of my best games in the past 2 years have been while running a pistol; I got more elims at the Battle of Serenity Valley game at EMR with my Zeus, as a general, than I did at the Western Worrs game the following spring using my NT11. Even in the TTPL tournament I played in last year, I got the same amount of elims with the SA17 with leaky pierce seal (before I even did the top-loading mag) as I did with my automag.

When our captain first heard me talk about running pistol-only at games he gave me this WTF look, but having seen me play since then I think now he'd rather I run pistol lol...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

I don't want to clutter your mod thread but I can't PM yet. Are you going to lvp or poco march/April? I know I heard of your team before and we've probably met lol.

My first trip up to EMR, a viper game I believe I ran with a tac 8 and overlord rx(both of which are down and I don't think I can tech them...) I found myself coming up behind the opposing team, taking several out either by mercy or tags, than getting into actual fire fights. I love having to think outside the box with 10 rounds against egos and angels tuned to the max.

eBay Feedback
MCB Feedback +4
Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm probably going to be at LVP but I'm not sure about Poco Loco.. March is a busy month for me.
FEEDBACK
Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

UPDATE/ADDITION 9/1/2012

Hey guys, been a while, just dropping by to add a quick update on some recent mods I did to the SA17, most of which were to the action itself.

Polished Hammer:

A generic enough mod for a semi-auto blowback marker, although the internals on these guns are notably more finished than say, a Tippmann 98. Started with some medium emery cloth with the hammer chucked up in the lathe, then worked at it by hand with 180, 220, 400, 600 grits, followed by a good hit with some Brasso. If you look closely you'll see that I not only polished the outside of the hammer but also the "step" that the tip of the sear catches. You have to be really careful with this, since if you round off the corner too much you're looking a runaway full-auto of the paint-blender sort, but it really improves the feel of the trigger pull.

Something I noticed while messing with this was that the INSIDE of the hammer, where the spring rides, was VERY rough/unfinished. It almost looked as if it had been drilled out with a chipped/dull bit, the walls of the bore were almost ridged. So I used a couple of small diameter flapper wheels on an extension and a cordless drill to get the bore as smooth as I could. You can still see vague marks on the bore where the ridges were but it's MUCH smoother now. Surprisingly enough, this made a noticeable difference in feel/tension when cocking the marker. I wouldn't be surprised if the spring coils were rubbing these ridges during the blowback part of the cycle and causing some drag/resistance. A worthwhile effort if you have the tools to get in there and do it.

Polishing the Sear:

This is something that a lot of people probably shy away from out of fear of screwing up the marker's operation, which is understandable. I happened to have a spare sear in a parts kit so I decided to go for it. The trick here is to put your sandpaper flat on a table or workbench and rub ONLY the surfaces of the sear that contact the hammer on it while keeping the sear flat and level so you don't round off the surface, ESPECIALLY the tip of the sear. Again, I used the medium emery, 180, 220, 400, 600, Brasso combination and was very happy with the results. The trigger pull was now buttery smooth. Please note from the pics the ONLY two surfaces you need to polish are the long top ramp and the short back face.

Softer Trigger Return Spring:

Well, I know I said earlier in this thread that there really isn't much wrong with the SA17 trigger pull... And to be honest, I was right. BUT, after a couple hundred rounds through the pipe at any given scenario, the stock return spring starts to feel stiff. I can't tell you where exactly the new spring came from, as it was prowling around loose on the bottom of my toolbox, just that it is notably softer than the stock one. You don't want to go TOO soft here either, as it will cause problems with the trigger not resetting on the sear.

FEEDBACK
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'm considering buying a SA17 in the new year

Pistol only days could be getting more popular in the UK

This thread was an interesting read with some really useful modifications
Gee Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Love mine. Can't beat it for the price IMO.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

I recently picked one up with the rifle kit. Modded the frame for air thru so I can run CA. Next is the top loading spring feed.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'm thinking of running my pistol on remote line via dummy 12g

Also considering feeding air through a PPS female stabiliser to help consistency

Last edited by Gee Tee; 12-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Gee Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

If you run with a small hpa tank like a 13 or 22ci a stabilizer won' t be necessary. The . tank reg itself is enough to ensure consistency. CO2 is obviously a different story, but my recommendation is to spend the money on the hpa tank instead of the 100 dollar stabilizer. More bang for your buck that way imo.
FEEDBACK

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms