mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Sidearms (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/)
-   -   Metal Splatty Project (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/158211-metal-splatty-project.html)

Iconic Muffinman 04-12-2011 11:51 AM

Metal Splatty Project

Hey everybody!

I am making a set of metal internals for my splatty just like KT had made a run before he dissapeared. I was wondering if anyone had experienced any major or common problems with the KT kits that did NOT come from the valve (I'm keeping my original valve set-up)?

Thanks in advance!

Greenmtnphantom 04-12-2011 09:06 PM

Pay careful attention to the nubs/holes where the rail and barrel connect, and to any extra room the barrel has, the barrels have been known to jump the rail if things aren't just right.

Iconic Muffinman 04-12-2011 11:09 PM

I havent had a single problem with my pierce pin thus far, I get a good puncture and great seal every time, so until that changes, I am going to leave well enough alone.

As for the rail, I was planning on beefing up the original design a little. The original rail attached just by the barrel resting on the rail, IIRC. I was planning to replace the two little "nubs" it sat on with threaded set-screws, that way the barrel would be physically attached the rail, thus preventing the barrel jump issue.

Does that seem feasable, or absolutely insane? haha

Greenmtnphantom 04-13-2011 09:48 AM

If there is enough meat there for set screws go for it.

Iconic Muffinman 04-13-2011 10:34 AM

If the barrel is 7/8" like I roughly eyballed it, that gives me somewhere around 1/8" of material to work with.. that should give me enough material to get at least a few turns of thread in the barrel itself...

Can anyone get me some accurate dimensions of the barrel, sear plate, pusher, "bolt", and trigger?

Iconic Muffinman 04-14-2011 05:21 PM

Scheduled the shop time... Ill be starting this project fairly soon!

Greenmtnphantom 04-14-2011 10:38 PM

Good for you!

Might want to keep the trigger in mind also a metal rail is going to wear down a plastic trigger pretty quick.

Iconic Muffinman 04-15-2011 08:51 AM

I had considered the trigger, I just dont know how exactly I can machine a new one with what equipment I have here...

Does anyone happen to have an extra KT trigger? hahaha

doc Zox 04-15-2011 09:16 AM

it appears to me that the KT kit is being squeezed by the body and this inhibits cycling

also the valve is only held in place by a left hand side screw and it seems to twist

i will post some shots

Iconic Muffinman 04-15-2011 10:31 AM

Thanks a bunch Doc, thats the kind of info Im looking for!

I am not trying to make an imatation KT kit, but rather improve upon it. The only portion I may end up directly copying is the trigger, because I do not know if I will be able to produce my own... I only have a manual 3 axis mill, and a manual lathe to work with.