mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #111 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzho View Post
I'm sure there's a guy out there somewhere who walks out on the field carrying nothing but a bandolier filled with Goblins just for the sheer fun of it. Isn't that the point of playing in the first place?

I'm that guy

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #112 (permalink)
ton up boy

You can see the best sidearm in this picture of me, if my main marker goes down or runs out air, IŽll go for a touching kill:

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #113 (permalink)
Not in the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baader View Post
You can see the best sidearm in this picture of me, if my main marker goes down or runs out air, IŽll go for a touching kill:

http://paintball.fi/datas/lthumbs/2-...ikuvat_070.jpg
That pic make me want to bring a toy lightsaber onto the field and swat paintballs out of the air with my Jedi skills.

-Hunter S. Thompson

My feedback!
Dr Gonzho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #114 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc-paintballer View Post
So in summary, co2 in mag is equivalent to co2 mounted in gun in some cases and BETTER in other cases as it offers the flexibility to reload all co2s at same time if safe position or just reload once after shooting 6x3 = 18 mags of paint and then be in the same position (effectivly) as the mounted co2 guy.
I completely disagree with this, and for the record i have neither the tpx nor the t8, but have handled both. You're making the very incorrect assumption that loading co2 into a t8.1 mag takes the same amount of time as loading co2 into the tpx.

That being said, since i play speedball mostly and only shoot around 50 rounds of paint at most a match, i would much rather use a t8.1 if it weren't for the weight and cost of magazines because with the short matches i would be able to easily reload Co2 in between matches and never on field.

But if i played larger or longer games i would use a tpx for the simple fact that 20 loaded tpx mags and 6 co2 cartridges weigh less than ten empty t8.1 mags, and i wouldn't have to load paint into my mags on field for twice as long. Also, loading co2 into the tpx take roughly four seconds on the conservative side, you could shave that down to two with practice and a simple mod. In the time it would take to load a t8.1 mag with co2 on field you could load a tpx with co2 and empty at least two mags.

So in short i'd rather a t8.1 for shorter games, speedball, or sidearm use due to short term simplicity of operation, and a tpx for longer games due to lighter weight and faster co2 loading.

The t8.1 and the tpx each have strengths and weaknesses, and each is logically suited to a different style of play
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Long ago I coined the term Shiney Object Syndrome or SOS for short as a notorious wallet debilitating disease. Nowhere is it so alive as here at MCB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd sell any other possessions, property, children, extra organs or sexual services before I'd sell my paintball gear. Hell, I'd sell other peoples property before I sold my gear
massdestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #115 (permalink)
Dremel Drill Professional

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
^ I hear what you are saying and I diagree with you lol. <3

Changing co2 on a T8 is almost as fast as on a TPX if you have the quick chnage mod on the T8 mags. An expeirnced T8 player can change CO2 within 4-6 secs as well. Yeah, maybe changing a TPX CO2 is a LITTLE bit faster but does 2 secs really matter? And then you have to pull the trigger 2x (the first being a very hard pull) to squeeze off your first shot.
And like I said, if your smart with the T8 you are ALWAYS able to defend yourself. With TPX, you are completly down while changing CO2 and during first trigger pull.

It really comes down to experince of the player at switching CO2 on the guns. But as I said, the magazine fed air gives you options on when to reload air while the gun mounted version does not.

As for weight, I run 6 T8 mags in a P3 Players pack. Believe me, I never even know they are there. And how are you going to carry 20 mags? Even though they weigh less, they take up so much space with 20 of them that you are still just as handicapped (if not more) from restriction of motion due to all your mag carrying equipment.

Just my thoughts.

nation feedback
mcb feedback

Havoc-paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #116 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I agree with you when it comes to sidearm use, as a sidearm i do agree that the t8.1 wins due to shorter term ease of use, where you can carry three or four mags and not have to load Co2 on field at all.

I think the major advantage of the tpx comes when dual wielding, where with the tpx you can have one hand free and loading co2 in one pistol while you cover yourself with the other in your free hand. With the t8.1 theres really no possible way to reload paint and air in a mag one handed, at least not quickly. So the tpx wins there, but thats not really applicable to this thread

Honestly i would love to have two tpx's and a t8.1, and i'd be completely set when it comes to pistol play lol. My ridiculously large hands like the feel of the t8.1 much better, and its advantage is very obvious when it comes to shorter games, but i can't see any way to use it as effectively dual wielding as the tpx.

Also to carry that many tpx mags you could use a stock class harness like this one Ronin Gear Harness - Stock Class (Shoulder) - Black
and remove the stitches in such a way that every hole is two ten round tubes wide, the tpx mags fit comfortably in that. This idea was AgentSmith's, he did It with pants that had elastic holes for ten round tubes and it's pretty clever. In this particular harness that means you could carry 25 mags and 8 co2 cartridges in the same space (possibly smaller since im pretty sure tpx mags are shorter than tubes) as if you were carrying ten round tubes.
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Long ago I coined the term Shiney Object Syndrome or SOS for short as a notorious wallet debilitating disease. Nowhere is it so alive as here at MCB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd sell any other possessions, property, children, extra organs or sexual services before I'd sell my paintball gear. Hell, I'd sell other peoples property before I sold my gear
massdestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #117 (permalink)
Dremel Drill Professional

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
How can you load a TPX CO2 with 1 hand? I think if you are dual wielding, you should always be able to defend yourself with any pistol assuming you don't run out of air with both guns at same time. But again, this isn't a discussion about dual weilding. Its about sidearms.

Persoanlly, I find the TPX to be the better sidearm as it is lighter and only has 1 CO2 pireced at a time. If your really using it as a sidearm (ie not really using it at all) then you'll save CO2 that way. Still, I would never buy a TPX as it has too many known and unknown issues. Plus I am just in love with my T8 way to much. And Im a loyal guy.

But if you want a cheap sidearm, TPX > T8

Primary waepon is a whole nother story...

nation feedback
mcb feedback

Havoc-paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #118 (permalink)
Needs Nerf

Quote:
But if you want a cheap sidearm, TPX > T8

Primary waepon is a whole nother story...
Ummm... cheaper sidearms do exist, like the BT-10, which is an underrated pistol, mainly because (just a guess) its not mag fed, but instead spring tube fed. I personally run a TPX stock with 4 mags as my primary, I find it very comfortable and easy to use. Iʻm not bashing on the T8, Iʻve never used one before, just given my $0.02
Old 05-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #119 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
NOTE: In this post, the TPX is used as an example of a psitol with CO2 mounted on the gun and a T8 (Tib) is used to represent a gun with CO2 in Magazine (mag).

Luckless, the air in mag vs the air on gun argument is not even an argument. Say person A runs a TPX with 6 mags and Person B runs a T8 with 6 mags:

Person A:
Shoots 3 mags of paint, reloads co2, shoots 3 more mags of paint, reloads CO2 and reloads 6 mags with paint. Repeat this process continually.

Person B:
Shoots 6 mags of paint, reloads 6 mags with paint. Repeat this process 2 more times. Then reloads 6 CO2s OR reloads 1 CO2 and 1 mag of paint.
And we'll add Person C and D to the mix. Both With whatever marker you want them to have.

Either A or B is alone on their team against C and D, who are raining paint down on A or B's position.

Both players carry spare paint in cheap tubes in some out of the way location to reload their main mags.

Player A:
Shoots 3 mags of paint, reloads co2, shoots 3 more mags of paint, reloads CO2. During this time he takes any spare seconds he gets to swap paint from his tubes/pods to his mags.

Player B:
Shoots 6 mags of paint, reloads 6 mags with paint.
Shoots 6 mags of paint, reloads 6 mags with paint
Shoots 6 mags of paint, reloads 6 mags with paint

At some point Player B must begin swapping CO2. A process that takes several seconds. (I don't think I've gotten below 15 seconds with the T8.1 mags. I'm considering modding them with a longer lever arm, coarser threading to reduce required turns, and removing the magnet.)

Player A has an advantage if he is pressed and does not have time to swap use to swap CO2 early. Player A switches 1 CO2, and can fire off three magazines of paint. (Possibly 4 with good tuning.) Player B is required to either swap several CO2 in mags already loaded with paint, or stop after each mag to reload it with paint.

For any advantage there will always be at least one edge case where the advantage is turned against you.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #120 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
For any advantage there will always be at least one edge case where the advantage is turned against you.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms