mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

You are in a pretty cool position. Since you already own an 8.1. The simple choice is just to get another 8 or 8.1 so you can share magazines, holsters, and mag pouches between them. However, if you don't have much yet that specific to the 8.1 and you aren't afraid to sell off gear that you no longer use ... You could try out a TPX and an 8.1 combination. It would give you the ability to truly determine which is better for you. Once you do, you can sell off/trade away the one you like less and then get a pair of your preferred pistol.

I think the biggest difference between them is pistol feel. For me, the T8/T8.1 feels more natural in my hand. I point at something, and I'm already aiming at it. I don't feel a need to "aim" with the Tiberius. The TPX doesn't feel quite the same. The way it sits in my hand I need to more actively correct my aim. So before you make a decision, I highly, HIGHLY recommend at least holding/pointing/aiming the TPX.

Another thing to consider is magazine count a.k.a. shot count per game and weight. Dual wielding T8's I've settled on carrying 6-8 magazines per game. For me this is the ideal balance between shots needed and weight/mobility. If you see yourself needing far more then this, you may want to consider the TPX simply due to magazine cost and weight.

Oh and focus on TPX or another T8/8.1 ... If you at all liked your T8.1 and magazine feed stay away from the SA-17 you won't be happy with it as a dual-wield.

You can search through plenty of T8/8.1 vs TPX threads here. you'll find that the consensus is the following:

- TPX + mags has a definitive total setup weight advantage.
- Both the the T8 / 8.1 and the TPX are well respected pistol platforms. In terms of shot consistency and durability.
- The choice is more about personal preference and not universally recognized inferior/superior. This isn't like picking between an e-spider clone and an Ego/DM. There isn't a "wrong" choice. This is more like picking between a DM and an Ego. Either is going to kick ***.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
I would actually encourage going for the Tiberius Tippmann pairing.

I have run this way and it was actually very efficient (unfortunately both of those markers are now gone because MCB has turned me into a gun whore). However, I did not dual wield like MA does, my setup was more of a dual carry setup. I used each marker equally, usually using the TPX and then switching when it was out of gas. The bonus of this is that you can take advantage of the light body of the TPX (because I carried my pistols on my back so I felt very little of the weight when they were holstered), but if you need to you can take advantage of the FS in the T8.1

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
I would actually encourage going for the Tiberius Tippmann pairing

[.....]

if you need to you can take advantage of the FS in the T8.1
Excellent Idea/Reasoning. Use the existing 8.1 and mags for the First Strike awesomeness. And the cheap and light TPX + mags for paintballs.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
Old 04-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
tea, a cause and effect

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooAddict View Post
You are in a pretty cool position. Since you already own an 8.1. The simple choice is just to get another 8 or 8.1 so you can share magazines, holsters, and mag pouches between them. However, if you don't have much yet that specific to the 8.1 and you aren't afraid to sell off gear that you no longer use ... You could try out a TPX and an 8.1 combination. It would give you the ability to truly determine which is better for you. Once you do, you can sell off/trade away the one you like less and then get a pair of your preferred pistol.

I think the biggest difference between them is pistol feel. For me, the T8/T8.1 feels more natural in my hand. I point at something, and I'm already aiming at it. I don't feel a need to "aim" with the Tiberius. The TPX doesn't feel quite the same. The way it sits in my hand I need to more actively correct my aim. So before you make a decision, I highly, HIGHLY recommend at least holding/pointing/aiming the TPX.

Another thing to consider is magazine count a.k.a. shot count per game and weight. Dual wielding T8's I've settled on carrying 6-8 magazines per game. For me this is the ideal balance between shots needed and weight/mobility. If you see yourself needing far more then this, you may want to consider the TPX simply due to magazine cost and weight.

Oh and focus on TPX or another T8/8.1 ... If you at all liked your T8.1 and magazine feed stay away from the SA-17 you won't be happy with it as a dual-wield.

You can search through plenty of T8/8.1 vs TPX threads here. you'll find that the consensus is the following:

- TPX + mags has a definitive total setup weight advantage.
- Both the the T8 / 8.1 and the TPX are well respected pistol platforms. In terms of shot consistency and durability.
- The choice is more about personal preference and not universally recognized inferior/superior. This isn't like picking between an e-spider clone and an Ego/DM. There isn't a "wrong" choice. This is more like picking between a DM and an Ego. Either is going to kick ***.
your idea of a tpx and an 8.1 seems a good one, as when i have held my 8.1 in my off hand it just felt wrong, were as i have felt a tpx in my offhand+ the only 8.1 only things i have are 1 mag pouch and a holster
So long as its under 18 and over 8 I dont care what it is really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef97 View Post
Oh boy...I love wood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
well - just like my sex life, I have taken matters into my own hands:
chadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadders View Post
your idea of a tpx and an 8.1 seems a good one, as when i have held my 8.1 in my off hand it just felt wrong, were as i have felt a tpx in my offhand+ the only 8.1 only things i have are 1 mag pouch and a holster
Thats another bonus to the Tiberius Tippmann combo. If you decide to carry one in your dominant and one in your non-dominant then you can put the heavier one (T8.1) in your dominant hand (which tends to be stronger...thus dominant) and you can put the lighter (TPX) in your non-dominant hand.

Unless you are ambidextrous this offsetting of the weight will work in your favor

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

You can also drop in a reverse mag release for the 8.1... love my reverse mag release.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

If you do this TPX/T8 combo, how will you carry mags and how much would you carry per game? and the best question, how will you not mix which mag to which?

Last edited by slingshotted; 04-25-2011 at 03:14 AM.
slingshotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotted View Post
If you do this TPX/T8 combo, how will you carry mags and how much would you carry per game? and the best question, how will you not mix which mag to which?
Since he doesn't have much in terms of mags or mag pouches yet he's good to go. Many mag pouches can hold either a TPX or a Tib Mag. They feel quite different and should be easy to distinguish when grabbing them by touch.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

I find it easier to reload from 10 rd tubes than to load a new Mag with both hands full. If you plan to not use holsters, rig up some lanyards and you'll be able to free your hands up.

The tpx feels too awkward to me but lots of people use em to great success. I saw three pistol only players last game I played, and many more folKs with sidearms. More tpxs than t8s for sure.

All of the pistol playErs, regardless of tpx or tib (there was even a sa17) wanted my pgp.
R_Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
tea, a cause and effect

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotted View Post
i have 4 8.1 mags atm, so it would be 4 tpx mags(then if i like the tpx more ill whore off the 8.1 maybe(or just keep it for fs rounds))
So long as its under 18 and over 8 I dont care what it is really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef97 View Post
Oh boy...I love wood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
well - just like my sex life, I have taken matters into my own hands:
chadders is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms