mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

Thoughts on the SA-17?

So I've seriously been considering picking up an SA 17. I like that I don't have magazines to deal with and the 12 gram changing system seems like a really good idea. Plus the 13 ball capacity is right on the money for me.

I've read/watched a bunch of reviews on them, but I have read very little about how they perform on the field. I would also like to know how well these things seem like they will hold up. Guns tend to break around me, so I would like to make sure it is a really solid marker before I buy one.

Really I'm just looking for general thoughts on them now that they aren't so new anymore.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

REview In Progress! BT Sa-17 pistol.

I've had 0 issues with mine, and recommend it to anyone. It works great, my brother bought one cause he loves mine so much. Hasn't let me down yet.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Unfortunately, the useless, idiotic recall on the CO2 changer parts has pretty well nerfed any chance of a fast CO2 swap, which is a crying shame since the SA17 has excellent gas efficiency on 12ies. That's why I use mine on remote line only. I'm sure that with a lot of practice or some other clever mods (namely removal of the recall clips) someone could probably master a decent 12g change.

It's big, heavy, the frame is a little awkwardly shaped, and the springfeed is only so-so out of the box, but it CAN be modded into a neat little gun and the fact that it has barrel sizers puts it a notch above other stacked tube blowbacks.

All in all, its a good purchase and I think out of the box it's great for beginner pistol play. You've seen my mod thread before, so I won't bother to re-link it, but that thread has all the mods the SA17 needs to be a serious contender. I love how mine is set up now. My next project is milling the frame so the front and back straps of the grip are actually parallel to one another since they spread a bit at the bottom and its beginning to give me carpal tunnel lol.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

save some up and you can pick up a tpx. but fire some pistols b4 you make your decision. you'll know when you get your marker.
slingshotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotted View Post
save some up and you can pick up a tpx. but fire some pistols b4 you make your decision. you'll know when you get your marker.
I've actually owned and played with a T8 and a T8.1 along with a PTX jr. back in the day. I also owned a USP pistol for a couple weeks, but only shot it in the back yard.. I've also played a lot with a micro phantom and a few pgp's (including a custom k-framed pgp) so I'm not really new to pistol play. I just haven't found a pistol yet that is perfect for me.

I have held and shot a tpx before. They shoot pretty nice, but I wasn't a fan of the clamshell design, and overall it just felt kinda cheap like I would break it. The tpx really isn't that much smaller in my opinion. I'm used to playing with my RT classic and my autococker which are both big heavy guns, so the size difference between the tpx and sa-17 is negligible to me.

I have held an sa-17, and it was decently comfortable. Plus I feel that if I take off the 12 gram clips, that the co2 system has a lot of potential. The problems with the springfeed are worth it to me for the fact that you have a higher paint capacity.

I actually prefer to reload from 10 round tubes. I already have a ton of them, and I am comfortable with using them from my stock class experience. Plus I hated having to keep track of all my magazines with my T8 and T8.1. I found it annoying to have to reload the magazines so that I could have paint to reload into the gun. Its like reloading twice.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

My first impression? It's a heavy pistol. I really like it though. Feels very rugged and tough. Shoots pretty good too, same performance as any STBB.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
LT.
Post Whore

Kilt Fan
Pm Orpackrat he has an Egriped SA-17. It's cool little gun.

Contact... Kevin@operatortacticalgear.com
LT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

So does anyone know if freak inserts work with the sa-17? Or are the barrel inserts unique to this pistol.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber_Ghost View Post
So does anyone know if freak inserts work with the sa-17? Or are the barrel inserts unique to this pistol.
I remember reading somewhere that the sa-17 barrel was thicker than freak inserts, and they don't say anything about about it taking freak inserts on the empire website.
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Long ago I coined the term Shiney Object Syndrome or SOS for short as a notorious wallet debilitating disease. Nowhere is it so alive as here at MCB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd sell any other possessions, property, children, extra organs or sexual services before I'd sell my paintball gear. Hell, I'd sell other peoples property before I sold my gear

Last edited by massdestruction; 07-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.
massdestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tried it on my brothers new version SA-17 (The one with those godawful Co2 clips) and on my old version. Neither took the freak barrels well, though if you made an insert to sit them into, it might work. May be more trouble then its worth.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms