mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthirst View Post
Agree'd... Isn't half the point of a TPX... What is this.. I don't even...

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Just a different way of looking at things. To me, I find a top mounted springfeed to be superior in reliability to an upright mag- it works with gravity, not against it, so even if the spring doesn't work you can still rock-and-load. With the top loading port mod, reloading speed is hardly even an issue.

You look at it as me nerfing a magfed to do things the old way, I look at it as taking everything I like about my Zeus, and improving it with a better bolt engine and a removable (thus bore-matchable) barrel.

If mags work fine for you then that's perfectly cool by me. I'm not trying to sell people on doing things my way or liking what I like, just trying to help you understand my motivation. I've had several catastrophic failures with mag-fed guns (T8 AND TPX) that ended in me not being able to shoot at anyone after I had worked really hard to get a great angle or ambush going. To me there's nothing more frustrating than getting all the way behind the enemy and then having my marker dry fire, give my position away, and leave me defenseless as I get lit up. And that's never happened with my Zeus, but it's happened with BOTH TPX and T8, and it's ALWAYS a mag related issue. So to me it's combining the best of two markers to get one that, to me at least, is better than either.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 08-25-2011 at 02:02 AM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Not a fan of it for the hopper, but it DOES open up possibilities for a top-loaded springfeed up there...
Ohhh, can anyone say Styre 1912?

Steyr-Hahn M1912 - YouTube

This is the tenth line of my signature
foughtwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by foughtwolf View Post
Ohhh, can anyone say Styre 1912?

Steyr-Hahn M1912 - YouTube
nice, pull string to retract mag spring, pop a 8 round tube up top and release mag spring
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Shoots First

Didn't mean to put you on the defensive, PistolRogue, I just honestly wasn't sure if that was sarcasm or sincerity.

I remember, for a decade or so, when everyone talked about how incredibly awesome it would be to have a paintball pistol that was mag fed. Now we have them and people want to figure out how to put a tube up there.

I get your reasoning, but I still find it kind of funny...

redthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Just a different way of looking at things. To me, I find a top mounted springfeed to be superior in reliability to an upright mag- it works with gravity, not against it, so even if the spring doesn't work you can still rock-and-load. With the top loading port mod, reloading speed is hardly even an issue.

You look at it as me nerfing a magfed to do things the old way, I look at it as taking everything I like about my Zeus, and improving it with a better bolt engine and a removable (thus bore-matchable) barrel.

If mags work fine for you then that's perfectly cool by me. I'm not trying to sell people on doing things my way or liking what I like, just trying to help you understand my motivation. I've had several catastrophic failures with mag-fed guns (T8 AND TPX) that ended in me not being able to shoot at anyone after I had worked really hard to get a great angle or ambush going. To me there's nothing more frustrating than getting all the way behind the enemy and then having my marker dry fire, give my position away, and leave me defenseless as I get lit up. And that's never happened with my Zeus, but it's happened with BOTH TPX and T8, and it's ALWAYS a mag related issue. So to me it's combining the best of two markers to get one that, to me at least, is better than either.
I didn't mean to offend, but I was thinking that if thats the case, why not just go with the BT. That is basically what it is. Unless you wanted a top mounted springfeed I suppose (not offset).

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_772 View Post
I didn't mean to offend, but I was thinking that if thats the case, why not just go with the BT. That is basically what it is. Unless you wanted a top mounted springfeed I suppose (not offset).
Where do I start? SA17 is a fine pistol in its own right, but post-recall the CO2 changer is worthless, it's an unregulated blowback, is heavy as hell, has a feed that loves to snag like crazy in holsters, and has a proprietary insert type, which you can only get other inserts by buying the Rifle Kit which you might not want half the stuff contained in it. I have one and I use it (with a remote line) but if anything it's barely on par, or a downgrade from the modded Zeus.

A springfed TPX would give me everything I love about the Zeus combined with the modern bolt engine, a better CO2 changer, and a barrel that can be bored for Freak inserts (mine are at Stanchy's as we speak, actually). And it's still lighter than a T8.1, even with the springfeed added.

Not to mention the obvious advantage of loading from cheap, expendable, easy-to-carry 10 round tubes...
FEEDBACK
Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Backard Engineer Special

I'm with you Pistol-rogue,
I like top fed springfeeds.

I am still dreaming of a semi-phantom pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
The prototype is usually the hardest - then come the refinements then the ooohs and the aaaahs but they are always preceded by the !#@!@#! and the !#!!#@!% and the GAAAAAAHS
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Where do I start? SA17 is a fine pistol in its own right, but post-recall the CO2 changer is worthless, it's an unregulated blowback, is heavy as hell, has a feed that loves to snag like crazy in holsters, and has a proprietary insert type, which you can only get other inserts by buying the Rifle Kit which you might not want half the stuff contained in it. I have one and I use it (with a remote line) but if anything it's barely on par, or a downgrade from the modded Zeus.

A springfed TPX would give me everything I love about the Zeus combined with the modern bolt engine, a better CO2 changer, and a barrel that can be bored for Freak inserts (mine are at Stanchy's as we speak, actually). And it's still lighter than a T8.1, even with the springfeed added.

Not to mention the obvious advantage of loading from cheap, expendable, easy-to-carry 10 round tubes...
Touche' sir.

I have been enlightened. Lol, I plan on TPX's myself, but I don't mind the mags. I prefer them actually. You do make sense though.

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #30 (permalink)

And I completely understand that! Trusting those mags to feed when I need them to most though... after my experiences, it gives me the willies

I'm actually planning on getting to work on this over the course of the next week or two. Crimson Death has managed to con me into doing his as well, and I've purchased 3 Ariakon ACP 2.0 springfeeds to use for the mod. Even though the ACP 2.0 itself was a piece of garbage, the feeds have a lot going for them with regards to mating them to the TPX. They're made of a similar polymer, so I can machine them without having exposed metal, they have built-in iron sights at the top so those that actually use them won't lose them by covering the TPX's, and there is enough meat at the bottoms to mill them to a pretty seamless and flush match with the top of the TPX body. It will stick about 2" off the front of the gun but because of the TPX's breech placement that's simply unavoidable. Adds almost no weight either as they're feather-light.
FEEDBACK

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms