mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
a.k.a. Dirty Sanchez

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Where do I start? SA17 is a fine pistol in its own right, but post-recall the CO2 changer is worthless, it's an unregulated blowback, is heavy as hell, has a feed that loves to snag like crazy in holsters, and has a proprietary insert type, which you can only get other inserts by buying the Rifle Kit which you might not want half the stuff contained in it. I have one and I use it (with a remote line) but if anything it's barely on par, or a downgrade from the modded Zeus.

A springfed TPX would give me everything I love about the Zeus combined with the modern bolt engine, a better CO2 changer, and a barrel that can be bored for Freak inserts (mine are at Stanchy's as we speak, actually). And it's still lighter than a T8.1, even with the springfeed added.

Not to mention the obvious advantage of loading from cheap, expendable, easy-to-carry 10 round tubes...
Couldn't have said it better. Mags are what has kept me away from the TPX and T8 and the blowback design and size (among other things...) has kept me away from the SA17. A springfed TPX however, I would buy. Looking forward to details!
Hamer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Honestly for me to play the way I want to I'd need 30 mags and then mag pouches. This would probably cost around $500 that I don't feel like spending on a pistol. 10 round tubes I have plenty of and places to put them by using my stock class setups.

Just seems like a no brainer after seeing this thread.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #33 (permalink)
Backard Engineer Special

You should hollow out the mag so you can store stuff in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
The prototype is usually the hardest - then come the refinements then the ooohs and the aaaahs but they are always preceded by the !#@!@#! and the !#!!#@!% and the GAAAAAAHS
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #34 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
You should hollow out the mag so you can store stuff in there.
going to see if we can put a cci quick changer in the mag well and if that doesn't work that seems like a good idea for an old 8 round mag.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

The only points I'd like to add to this discussion are that first, reloading a pistol with a top feed requires you to completely block your point of aim and in most cases completely point your pistol away from where you want to be shooting. This is not desireable.

Secondly every pistol uses mags. The top feed zeus/squalll/ptx type guns simply use 1 mag, which you reload over and over with 10rd tubes. I practiced and played an insane amount with topfed guns and was never as fast at reloading paint as I am with TPXs. This matters in game to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Honestly for me to play the way I want to I'd need 30 mags and then mag pouches. This would probably cost around $500 that I don't feel like spending on a pistol. 10 round tubes I have plenty of and places to put them by using my stock class setups.

Just seems like a no brainer after seeing this thread.
For me to play the way I'd want to would also require 20-30 mags at a cost of around $500, so I do it. I got the pistol and as many mags as I could and then bought more mags a few at a time until I have plenty.

It's not a no brainer at all. It really depends on the individual. My goal is to be as good as I can be with current technology, not one bit less. I can stay on target while I reload paint, I have a regulator on my pistol which is a huge bonus to my overall accuracy and I don't have any problem cycling through all the paint a situation may call for, if it's 1 ball I shoot one ball, if it's half a case in a 6hour scenario carrying a shield I shoot that.
I totally understand the attraction of these type of pistols for those whose pistol is an occasional primary or used in certain games where it's weaknesses don't matter. However, it's my personal opinion that a pistol player who switches from top feed to mag fed pistol is tougher in a given game than he would be with his old pistol, I wouldn't have switched myself for any other reason.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms