mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Public Service Announcement to PT Extreme Owners

Once you scrape out the gunk that 32 degrees called a pierce seal, current-gen TPX/TiPX pierce seals fit PERFECTLY. Just used one from my spare parts kit to restore one that was given to a buddy from someone who hasn't played in years. Lucky bastard scored this practically mint PT (excepting the leaky pierce and cup seals that are now fixed) AND Minimag with some splash Eclipse pieces for FREE!

Interesting pistols... I've always seen them around but never had the chance to hold one or take it apart. The integrated pierce block/valve assembly seems like it would be perfect to turn into a makeshift CO2 diffuser too, to keep liquid out of the valve.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks!
Tygen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Thats cool!

My best friend had one back in 2k1, I used it a few times but it had some issues with reliability. I stuck with my PGP those years until I bought a TiPX recently.

Despite some reliability issues, the PT Extreme is a cool looking marker that was ahead of it's time imo.
Hammer7
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was actually really surprised at the machining quality and some of the innovations when I took it apart. Sadly, it appears every seal they used from the factory was utter garbage, and that was probably the gun's downfall.

Decided to grab one of my own for experimentation for $30 off ebay.

Things I'm going to try:

-Milling/drilling the valve cartridge assembly in the spring area to make a "diffuser" to add more volume to the dump chamber and prevent liquid from getting to the valve

-Adapting a Zeus frame: might be tricky due to the different spacing but a true 1911 style frame would eliminate my biggest gripe so far. If that doesn't work out....

-Wood grips- I have some walnut panels laying around waiting to get shaped... Why not?

-Flat-faced delrin bolt and spring follower- smaller paint is probably not going to get along with the HUGE cups in the faces of the stock components.
FEEDBACK
Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
sounds like an interesting project! ive never actually seen a working PT extreme. ive seen a number of frustrated PT extreme owners, however.

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was quite surprised by the stock finish of the sear and hammer, notably. I've taken to polishing them in pretty much every pistol I touch, and I did it in these too but it took MUCH less effort and didn't make nearly as big of a difference in the feel of the trigger pull as it did in my Zeus or SA17. The polish/finish on the exterior of the gun is also pretty notably awesome compared to any of its peers from the time- it's a nice gloss, although the color choices were a bit meh (red, blue, silver, and black- and you hardly ever see a black one). It also has a removable barrel (which I was hoping could be freaked but due to an o-ring groove at the breech end being .730 OD, that's not going to work). I'm hoping to see if I can at least get someone to make me up a non-o-ringed barrel for Freaks or just a .680 or .685 replacement barrel. Even still, it's not THAT loosely bored at .691. I've seen some older STBB pistols as high as .695. My Zeus is .693.

The two biggest issues I've seen brought up about them on pbreview is chopping and leaks. I can already tell what the leak issue is, but a TPX pierce seal + quality o-rings should handle that. Any chopping issues I believe is probably a direct result of the cupped spring follower in the mag and the cupped face of the bolt- two prime areas for rollback to occur and allow partial/incomplete feeding.
FEEDBACK
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

45 frame here: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=400085892966
I'll have to post some pics of mine later...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

PT Xtreme pistol
I've been wanting to do what this guy did. It has spyder threads on the end so you could attach any short spyder threaded barrel if you are able to cut back the original barrel. I think I remember someone saying that freak bored theirs...I'll try and find that.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
General info..Hammerhead offers short Spyder threaded barrel. It's loud cuz no porting but it's dead on accurate. I have one for my pistol.
THE Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ah, thanks guys... I wasn't sure what the threading was on it, but knowing it's Spyder threads definitely means I have plenty of solutions for replacing the barrel and just using a cut up Spyder barrel to hold it in place.
FEEDBACK

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms