mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

A bit of pistol play from the UK

I recently got a small camera for making paintball video's.

I'm not the greatest pistol player but I'm still learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9hiQ5fdu0g

Skip to 7minutes 50 second for the start, its a bit brief!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3M5db9R3g

This one went better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n1_L2Dl4iI

And this one started before our team was ready!. I started with a mag and camera in one hand and an empty pistol in the other.
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Twin-Gun Terror

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Hey man, after seeing these and your previous ones on UKS, I've noticed a common theme; so I'd like to post a little bit of constructive criticism if I may (to see if it helps a bit).
You seem to get pinned down often, and for long periods of time, so here's a mantra that may help: "Move more, shoot less".
What I mean is, there are so many points in the vids where you hunker down, fire off your mags and then have to wait until they stop firing at you. Instead, let them underestimate you, if you're not firing then you're not drawing attention to yourself.
You can use that, and the general conscensus by most that "pistols are useless" to get yourself into a much better position - preferably where your barrel's prodding their backs.
Try and conserve your rounds for when you know you can hit something, that way, when there really is no choice other than opening up on them, you can have those spare rounds waiting without needing to refill a magazine.

As an example, when Snake and I played the Beirut game (the last one on your vids), we immediately sprinted for the middle ground and dived into the ditch - no firing, no attempts to engage anybody. The opposing side chose to ignore us in favour of trying to out-hose our guys that were slowly making their way up to us. We used that distraction to sneak through an exposed flank and start whittling them away, only using the minimum number of shots (that being "one" ) to take someone down so that we didn't end up in a firefight.
It worked so well that our own team annihilated us when they saw two blokes on the blue's side apparantly not trying to shelter from them.

On the plus side, your communication with the rest of the team is good - but having a coordinated split from the guys with bigger guns might just help improve your pistol play and keep you alive that bit longer.

That's a nice camera by the way, what is it you're using? I'd love to have a go making a few vids myself sometime!
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I watched the video's back a few times and realized I do need to move more. But I like long balling people and getting into firefights. Sometimes I forget I don't have a hopper!

That day I was having all sorts of technical difficulties which really threw my game off. My new detents were causing triple feeds and I kept nearly hitting people that I would normally hit. Add to that I was switching back and forth between the T8 and T9 and generally playing very bad I didn't hit many people all day! (3 all day actually).

The camera I use is a Veho Muvi Pro, its about the same size as my thumb so fits into my mask. Its about the lowest resolution camera you can get and doens't pick up the long balling very well but for up close its pretty clear.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Twin-Gun Terror

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Haha, yeah I know what you mean! You seem to be getting on pretty good without that hopper though.
Just trying to sort out transport for the 29th, so if you're going hopefully I'll see you there, be nice to have a few of us gunslingers on the same side! :P

Keep it up!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry I can't make the 29th now. Next time I'll be at YPC is probably Armogeddon next year, unless I do a walkon in January. I think the next time I play will be at my local rental field, I'll do another vid (of me losing to rental players!)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Twin-Gun Terror

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Ah, that's a shame.
Look forward to seeing how that works out for ya! Good luck!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms