mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Twin-Gun Terror

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Using CO2 in snowy conditions

Hey all, quick question;
Apparantly we brits are due a long session of snow, and as I've never played a game in the snow before, I wondered if any of you have any info/tips about how CO2's going to fare in the cold weather.

I'm feeling fairly confident that my Tib will run fine, but was a little concerned about the older pistols seizing up on me.

Am I just being paranoid?
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
CO2 plus cold weather is bad regardless of what marker you use it in. Last time I played in the cold the CO2 wreaked havoc on my T8

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Twin-Gun Terror

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
CO2 plus cold weather is bad regardless of what marker you use it in. Last time I played in the cold the CO2 wreaked havoc on my T8
Ah, nuts.
Well, on the bright side the site owner said I could have a play around with some of those JT Splatmasters - If all else fails I guess I'll be using that!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Banned Kerry

AKA Fan
My T8 is OK with the cold, but you're not going to be getting many shots per twelvie and you NEED to be using really non brittle winter paint

Black Chrome T8, CCM S5, Invert Mini I, Invert Mini II, Y-framed Minimag
Feedback.
Author of Useful Resources For Tiberius Owners.
Mr.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Ah, nuts.
Well, on the bright side the site owner said I could have a play around with some of those JT Splatmasters - If all else fails I guess I'll be using that!
not sure what temp you're playing in, last time i played outdoors it was -15C

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sniper Lifer - 68

I'm not sure why - but we play regularly here in Atlantic Canada in snowy, windy -10 - -20C temps. Some mechanical semi's don't like it, but most robust ones handle it fine, (VM's C98s, BT4). 12 grams don't work so good, but 9 and 12 oz CO2 does fine. A remote line can be a help - giving you more expansion. Best advice I can give is use a pump. My SL-68, (Sniper-Life!) is the most reliable marker around. I've also seen t8's go blah, while TPXs keep hammering.
just my 2cents
WFW
(Just noticed this was in sidearms, pistols that used a vertical 12 gram layout would do better, still holds true about remote lines too)

Last edited by wetfootwilley; 01-18-2013 at 09:42 PM.
wetfootwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Twin-Gun Terror

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Ok, cheers for the input guys.
The current temperature is ~ -8C, I'm guessing it's not going to get much colder here. So I might be alright afterall.
Thanks for the heads up though!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

One thing I'm religious about doing in the winter is using a thicker coat of oil and refreshing it as often as possible. This keeps the slush in your pistol from turning into wee tiny ice cubes.
This ice has to be overcome and hurts eficiency all over. By having thinner oil(NO grease!) spread around you get more shots per 12 in the snow.
Grease is bad because it forms a thick enough base to anchor ice, upon which more ice will instantly form.
A TiPX or T8 pistol should not get fewer shots in the winter! Not with blowforward valves!
I soaked my old T8 and made sure to fill the gas port in the magazines full up with oil to start the day and got the same number of shots I did midsummer. Dry pierce pin seals and the pistol's orings can stick to things like the kid's tongue in 'a christmas story' without oil. I oiled the pierce seal every other game.
Dec 29th, playing in -10C, I shot a bag of paint through my dual TiPX pistols during an hour of play time.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've played in snow conditions with CO2 12 grams, used Agent Smiths tip about oil instead of grease. Still got the same number of shots per 12gram as in SUmmer butfound the recharge was a bit slower. This was with my old T68 pistol
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Very true on the recharge! The reason the shots even out even though co2 is less efficient in the winter is the bolts. More co2 stays liquid and doesn't expand when it's colder so you lose efficiency, but the mass of liquid hitting the bolt accelerates it quicker and moves it faster gaining efficiency. They seem to even out for these 2 pistols, though not some of the others I've had.
The recharge is slowed down as the liquid interferes.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms