mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

"Best" drop leg holster?

Hey guys, so after going through 3 different pairs of pistols, I've finally decided to circle back around and get another pair :P I've had drop leg holsters, molle holsters strapped to a vest, underarm holsters, you name it!

However, I am interested in seeing what MCB's opinion on the best holster is, specifically a drop leg one. I've tried several different kinds, yet they've all slid around or done a rubbish job of holding on to me or my beloved pistols :P

So! What has been the best holster in your experience, and why? (And if possible, a link to where I might purchase two of them would be greatly appreciated!)
Respect yourself, respect your teammates, respect those who we represent, respect all the other players, respect the spectators and respect the game. We play for the love of the game, winning is just an added bonus.

PBNation Feedback 41/0/0
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=473593
MCarterBrown Feedback 12/0/0
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Joe Cool 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Whiskey Two Four's drop leg holster is the best. It doesn't move around when running etc.
Crimson Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Depends on the pistol.

For example, I absolutely love my CQB holster on the drop leg platform, but it only works for a T8(.1) so if you use a STBB or a .43 cal or a T(i)PX it wouldn't work for you.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I see, thank you! I'm planning on picking up a pair of TiPXs, but it of course depends on the offers that come along :P
Respect yourself, respect your teammates, respect those who we represent, respect all the other players, respect the spectators and respect the game. We play for the love of the game, winning is just an added bonus.

PBNation Feedback 41/0/0
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Whiskey Two Four's drop leg holster is the best. It doesn't move around when running etc.
I don't have one personally, but from a design standpoint, the Whiskey Two-Four one has the most promise.

Personally, I hate having things strapped to my legs so I stick with a hip holster, or no holster at all and just tuck the pistol into the top of my chest rig.
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I don't have one personally, but from a design standpoint, the Whiskey Two-Four one has the most promise.

Personally, I hate having things strapped to my legs so I stick with a hip holster, or no holster at all and just tuck the pistol into the top of my chest rig.
Same here. If I was going to put anything on my thighs it would be tpx mags. They're so light you wouldn't even know they are there.

I'd get molle loops sewed right onto my pants and attach them that way.
Crimson Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm not a fan of thigh rigs either generally and had the same problem with thigh loops attached to the pants. So much shaking can make TPX mags lose paint and the exposed nature of loops means that spray and debris can render them unshootable, plus they are difficult to access in the crouch or prone.
Thigh loops and various thigh rigs are great for dump space, i've used them for that a lot.
My current pants are denim and have a side entry pocket in the thigh. It's cotton inside like the front pocket of a pair of jeans and is sized for an m4 mag, it holds 3 TiPX mags just fine. I'm able to load the mags in there pointing up and haven't had any problems in spite of considerable crawling about. The side access zipper is nice.

If I were going mags on my thighs, I'd make sure it had secure pouches that covered them completely and it should work well.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ambassador of the sport

London bridge trading company's Modular holster is by far the best and I have used pretty much every available option.

Pros:
tornado style wraparound fit.
ambidextrous
comes set up for molle or drop leg with a very low profile
fast draw for a soft holster
used by PMCs in the harshest imaginable conditions with great reviews
very good fit, finish, warranty

Cons:
needs light modification to accept a TipX with an extended barrel (fits the standard barrel well if set up correctly)
only available in multicam and acu
costs $110 (well worth it imho-- also I was able to buy one brand new at a gun show for $65 so do look around)
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

A nice plus with the Tornado styles is that you can size them to take the pistol with a barrel sock on it already, I just cut the barrel straps off the holster and left the end open on mine. After my open end leather ones these are my go-to holster.

That's the UTG Leapers tornado type drop leg holster with all the straps removed. They don't sell this in a hip version, so I bought the drop leg and destrapped it, you can get a UTG drop leg holster and convert it to a hip when you decide you don't like the drop. Many, but not all, work like this though. I can only vouch for that one.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

That's really nice, I like how it doesn't ride so far up the belt like some other belt holsters. I'm assuming that it stays put, and doesn't really move around on you? That's the biggest thing to me :P

PBNation Feedback 41/0/0

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms