mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ambassador of the sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
make sure your goggles are up to the task. Visibility is crucial since you'll be shooting less and looking for opportunities more.
Best advice ever. For all players. I recommend to new players that their first purchase be goggles, not a marker.
That being said, I have trouble finding any that I like.
I4s are too small (I can literally eat a cheeseburger while wearing them), Profits restrict my hearing too much, E-vents don't protect my ears well and the Helix style goggle has admitted paint to my face (under the lenses) on two separate occasions.

Lately I've been using JT Proflex's (built like old school flex-7s with spectra ear panels) and they've been working pretty well for me. I'm gonna do a custom fan setup because the existing options are too loud and don't flow enough air.
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I have a large gourd and the grill fits me well. The I4 is way too small.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I use the Vforce Vantage Fieldvision goggles after dumping JTs with fans.
These are unlike any other goggles because they don't use foam.
They seal to the face perfectly, I use mine fanless in spite of the fact that I wear glasses:

They now have a thermal double lens for them that's even better.

I use the brasscraft seeclear anti-fog wipes, very inexpensive(less than $9 for a box of 120) and safe even on vforce coatings.

Amazon.com: See ClearŪ Quick Dry Eyeglass Cleaning Wipes, Anti-fog, Anti-Static, Box of 120: Health & Personal Care

Rob

agentSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post

I use the brasscraft seeclear anti-fog wipes, very inexpensive(less than $9 for a box of 120) and safe even on vforce coatings.

Amazon.com: See ClearŪ Quick Dry Eyeglass Cleaning Wipes, Anti-fog, Anti-Static, Box of 120: Health & Personal Care

Rob
Thank you for that link. I use i4's and love them but a friend uses a proflex and has some minor fog issues with his glasses and goggles.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteweasel View Post
Only advice I can give is don't cower when somebody with a lot of paint tries to bunker you. Your faster so you can snap out and if your feeling a bit crazy run out completely firing like a crazy man! Sometimes it works!.
I like the way this man thinks !! ^ LOL

Since Im always on the Facebook Ally Page Im not on here too much.. PM me if need be

Listen to the field.
Advance on Instinct..
and Shoot off Muscle Memory...

MIDNIGHTANGELZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
The fact you're keen to improve even though you already seem quite capable is a great plus!
We're a pistols-only team that play a lot of the bigger scenario games, and to be honest, the others who've posted on here have already nailed it on the head!
But here's a few things we do as a team to help even the odds;

- Learn to rely on your intincts; sounds crazy at first, but if you get yourself to the point where you don't need to aim at your opponent but hit them from muscle memory alone, you'll find yourself getting the drop on opponents that would've outgunned you given the opportunity - similarly, if you're moving with a partner, being able to move with them and feel where they are without the need to relay orders will make you infinitely more efficient (having an ol' buddy's the way forward )!
Get familiar with your particular pistol, some users find certain platforms tricky, so finding the one that suits your shooting style is a must.

- Only carry what you're going to use; sure, it's nice to carry 10+ mags and enough CO2 to start your own dry-ice buisness but if you're planning on running "fast attack" style manouvers, sometimes less is more. For a standard walk-on we'll take a maximum of say, 4 magazines, and even then that's pretty generous - but for a big scenario, especially one where you may find yourself hunkered down, there's no shame in taking the extra ammo if you're going to be needing it (we've even gone as far as taking a large satchel full of 10-rounders for everybody!). Just remember that you still only need that one shot to take somebody out.

- Stealth is your biggest asset; as you've said, speed and a low profile are a great boost. Combining them with a sneaky approach, especially one where you bring yourself into a CQB environment like a bunker of kill-house can really work to your advantage if you have the element of suprise.
That said, I have a serious tendancy to go "John Woo" at random - diving over bunkers, diving around corners, diving into a small river....

Keep it up and good luck!

(PS - On the mask front, the Grillz is a great mask, will fit even the largest heads but if you're in deep canopy (especially in the wet Brit environment) they're a pain for fogging - the dual-pane thermal lens solves this though!)

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-30-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ambassador of the sport

Okay, so it sounds like I'm not missing any fundamentals, but I still feel like I have a lot to learn. I know most of that is just practice, but there is an element of study and intellectually understanding tactics as they relate to paintball that I can work on when I'm not playing.
Lately I've been watching some helmet cam stuff and trying to get a feel for what other players are doing right with pistol setups.
I'm already familiar with pistolpete93, alabaster slim, and midnight angelz vids. Anyone have additional recommendations?
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

I haven't had a working helmetcam in a while, but my vids are here:

agntSmth83's channel - YouTube

I didn't put up a lot of them, mostly the ones that had some interesting point or tactic.
I'll have a helmet camera this year, so I'll be adding more in!
My friend Walt has a few of me on his channel, a clip on disassembling/assembling tpx magazines and a really frozen me showing some of my gear and demoing my first strike mod back in Jan of 2010:

Walter Travis - YouTube

Rob

agentSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've done a few last year, not the greatest quality but watchable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9hiQ5fdu0g

Skip to 7minutes 50 second for the start, its a bit brief due to my failure to realize the enemy had taken the bridge. For some reason during the game I believed there were more people in front of me than, the dude who turns round and comes back down the bridge and my mate with the BT Omega. One on the enemy even gives me a cheeky wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3M5db9R3g

This one went better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n1_L2Dl4iI

And made it to the end with this one but did not get far enough forward.

In my defence the above three were from a day of mistakes and failures on my part. Round two of the bridge field ended early too when I forgot to take the safety off my pistol! I even had the drop on the guy who got me!
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
^All valuable lessons learned though! We definitely learn more from our failures than our successes.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms