mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ambassador of the sport

Pistol Tactics?

I've been playing paintball off and on for 20 years. I've owned probably 40 different guns. In that time, only two of them have been pistols. A pgp, which I should have never sold, and a TipX which I bought a few months ago.

I've been playing with the TipX as my primary for a lot of rec days and I've recently become addicted to Mag Fed games. Limited paint and pistols are revolutionizing the game for me.

Considering my time in the sport and my experience level in several different paintball formats, I feel I can say with minimal arrogance that I am a capable player. However, I'm new to pistols-only and I'm looking for tips. I've learned a lot from watching various people's killcams, and some dedicated players have been helping me beat the learning curve. That being said, I'm always open to learning new stuff and this seems to be the place to do that for sure.

Please use this thread to share favorite tactics with pistol/pistols and how you advantage this style of setup in game. I'm looking for tips about rec play and also longer formats like scenario games.

Here's what I've been doing so far:
I try to move fast and get farther up the field than I would have otherwise. After doing so I stay patient and pick my shots. I've been surprising well equipped and experienced players by doing this.

I use the lower profile allowed by my rig to get in smaller spaces, snap shoot faster and tighter, and take weird angles (I find myself shooting supine, forward prone, lupine, etc. way more often now).

I use the unique capabilities of the mag fed pistol to shoot from angles that most hoppers will not reliably feed.

Anyways, anyone who's been patient enough to read this ridiculous long post, please feel encouraged to share tips, tricks, and tweaks.

Last edited by Jaws; 01-28-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: gammatical and syntax correction
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
It sounds like you definitely have a good handle on pistol play as it is, the only thing I would say is that instead of taking advantage of the initial rush and then being "patient"...always be moving. Take 2...maybe 3 shots from one location and then move. Obviously if you have an incredibly adventitious position, hold onto it, but usually recball doesn't have those spots. Just always be moving.

Another idea I've got for you is to find a heavy to pair up with. On recball days it usually isn't too hard. Find someone with paint to waste and use them to cover you. If you can get a heavy to keep the OpFor's heads down and behind bunkers you can cover amazing amounts of ground in very short periods of time.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
"move quickly and stay patient" sums up how I try to play as well. How many mags do you run with?

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Please use this thread to share favorite tactics with pistol/pistols and how you advantage this style of setup in game. I'm looking for tips about rec play and also longer formats like rec days.
I'd start about hardware:
Are you using twelvies or constant air?
Do you have enough spare mags?
On the TiPX, I'd recommand 2 things:
  1. Chamfer and polish the breech (where the balls leave the magazine)
  2. find a good barrel (stock one is not so bad, but could be way better)

You may experience problems with the regulator (it starts to go "squeaky"), in that case, I'd strongly recommand considering the use of constant air: solves the problem and gives velocity consistency, thus enhancing accuracy.

Not sure about what you call "rec play", but if you're going tactical, some smoke 'nades could become quite handy!

Quote:
Here's what I've been doing so far:
I try to move fast and get farther up the field than I would have otherwise. After doing so I stay patient and pick my shots. I've been surprising well equipped and experienced players by doing this.
Then you've got 80% of it!
:

Quote:
I use the lower profile allowed by my rig to get in smaller spaces, snap shoot faster and tighter, and take wierd angles (I find myself shooting supine, forward prone, lupine, etc. way more often now).

I use the unique capabilities of the mag fed pistol to shoot from angles that most hoppers will not reliably feed.
I think that's the main purpose of what we call here the "pistolero": fast, sneaky and somehow crazy, he's the guy that brings some randomness.

Never where you'd expect him to be and always where you don't want him to be, he can be a fierce opponent, that many have underestimated.

his ability to rush a position before the "frontlines" are formed can be an awesome advantage for his team: a flag picked up, a VIP shot, an objective achieved before teams are engaged can be decisive!

Another use of this ability is to provide support for a "push": taking out a sniper or a machine gun position is way easier for the guy wielding 2 TiPXs than for that one with an A5, 50 rounds tac cap, remote 1.1L backpacked bottle, 5 pods and the whole heavy gear...
And tossing a smoke in an appropriate place can be quite helpfull!

If you're playing scenario, you can take the role of the medic, or the guy who runs to a wounded man and carry him to the medic.

that's all I have to say, for now...

This is my FEEDBACK
Foxat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ambassador of the sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadro View Post
"move quickly and stay patient" sums up how I try to play as well. How many mags do you run with?
Here's the setup:

TipX (stock internals and barrel, planning to do the flex hone thing soon)
13 mags (tuff 8 soft pouch on my stomach, 1 on my side in a condor adjustable pouch, 2 on my back in a usgi flashbang pouch)
3 10 round tubes (occasionally I will reload on field)
13ci pure energy 3000psi tank + ninja remote w/slide check
London Bridge trading company modular tornado holster (high right thigh mount, single strap version)
usgi interceptor armor plate carrier retrofit system (hard to explain without pics - I work out of town so no pics for now, but it's modified to work as a stand alone molle belt and puts 4 strips of elastic supported webbing around my entire lower torso.
Also I run a dump pouch. Not sure what kind, got it used from an army-navy store.

As for the suggestions, thanks, I need all the help I can get.
I am already running smoke from time to time, I play for Tango Alpha 2, we are sponsored by sport smoke. Also, I do try to pair up with heavier players on my team, which is a bit of a juxtaposition, because before I picked up the TipX I was in a fire support role shooting 3000+ rnds a day. Now I rarely hit 500 and I'm getting roughly the same number of elims.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I feel like this could be a good repository for tactical tips and I know I've got a lot to learn.
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
before I picked up the TipX I was in a fire support role shooting 3000+ rnds a day. Now I rarely hit 500 and I'm getting roughly the same number of elims.
That's the coolest part for me. Look up AgentSmith's "final" post. You'll find a treasure trove of pistol info and if your Tao is strong, you may learn to master the Tai Chi pistol and one day perform the mythical tactical cartwheel.

All foolishness aside, check out his thread. Though you did type the word "pistol" into this thread, which usually summons him.

I prefer spring fed guns for their greater capacity and cheaper cost of tubes combined with the ease of carrying said tubes. Aside from marker preference, the pistol tactics are the same. I don't have the legs or knees I used to anymore, so I usually only get to mid or back positions off the break. From there I try to get an idea of how the battle is going and move to flank where I can. I also recommend teaming with a hose guy, who can keep guy's heads down. When they are cowering, make your move and get those elims. It sounds like you are already doing this, but pistoleros in general need to let go of the "I'm outgunned" mentality. When you get in a close quarters engagement where it's bang bang bang and someone is out, how many typical shots are fired? 3-5? If you go in with a fully loaded TPX, you are more than covered. Long balling where you can reload in peace is no issue, as you've discovered.

Sounds like you have all the basics down. Just keep it up to get more experience and share your tips/tricks with us!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I find that the tactics that help me most are:

1) Shoot only when you're sure you can hit the target. If you miss, duck back into cover so they're less likely to figure out where it came from. Move when they're busy shooting at someone else and always at an oblique angle, never charging directly at them when you're in their field of view (of course, as my avatar shows, I don't necessarily adhere to that school of thought all that religiously... lmao)

2) Go the routes that most people won't take. Swamps, thornbushes, vines, etc. that are in play are the best routes to use since most players won't want to deal with them. And they'll expect no one else will want to deal with them either. I can't tell you how many time I've managed to get behind large groups of players by slowly sneaking through incredibly dense brush or shallow standing water because they figured "no one's stupid enough to go through there". Be a little stupid, it can work to your favor.

3) In the absence of treacherous terrain, stay LOW. Most players won't pick out anything below knee level, so if the brush is at least that high, crawl. Use fallen logs as bunkers instead of the big man-made structures. Other players will always be looking at the structures and expecting other players to be there. They'll rarely pay any attention to that little log laying off to the side, and the low profile of a pistol lets you shoot over it with minimal exposure.

4) Use your head when you're laying out your gear. If you're right-hand dominant, most of your spare mags should be in easy reach of your left (non-dominant) hand. Put mags and CO2 cartridges in easy reach so you're not fumbling around to find them when you need a quick reload.

Those are the big ones for me, most anything beyond that starts to get too specific to the particular gun being used of field being played that day.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Manning knows me too well...

No magic, new posts is my favorite button. You never know what you'll find on MCB!

One way to say it(I love the movies) is that there are samurai pistolplayer moves and ninja pistolplayer moves. The best pistolplayers are comfortable with both kinds and flexible about switching back and forth...
Making samurai moves off the break, to get in position for ninja moves. Making ninja moves to get in position for samurai moves.
Stay flexible, I would say that your current opponent and his gun should dictate your strategy at least as much as you and your gun. If you're moving in on a squad that has good coverage on each other's position and seem to be communicating, your best move is completely different than on a group with mismatched gear that are all looking one way... You've definitely zeroed in on the things that a pistol player contributes to a team, IMO. Finding more and more ways to work with others is a simple matter of experience for you now.

Don't ever let yourself settle into a pattern of doing things a certain way and you'll be fine. Remember, unlike realsteel, you'll face the same opponents in combat over and over, it's not good to be predictable!

I use 12grams, other than flexhoning of the barrels and breeches mine are stock inside. My son slims down the bodies for me removing fingergrooves and front rail and smoothing the triggerguard. I like their pointability this way:

As for gear and stuff, there's a few things I swear by.
Pursuit Pod PistolPods are a must, IMO! They dump load from the top like a normal pod, then dispense one mag load at a time. These save time and hassle in the dead zone and are the only good way to reload mags on the field. They fit in any 2mag M4/M16 surplus pouch, if you cut out the divider, that's how I carry one often. In a pinch it's a 49rd pod for a teammate as well, that they can use instead of seperate tubes.

Pursuit Pods Online Store

Gloves! I use the Duluth Trading Carpenter's gloves:
Work Gloves - Men's Duluth Trading Carpenter's Gloves - Duluth Trading
A pistol player gets shot in the hands alot, at least I do. These gloves have the backs of the knuckles padded and the ring and little finger covered against hits and other trouble. The thumb, index and middle fingers are cutoff, which is great for handling mags and harness as well as for shooting. The nice thing about these in particular is that fingers are cutoff longer, only the tips exposed. IMO they work way better. The heel of the palm is lightly padded plus the leather, nice for crawling. Crawling with a pistol upright in your hand is another time you love the covered lower fingers.
I like them a little loose, unlike most tac gloves, which can deaden and cramp your hands after a full day scenario, I get the XXL.

Another thing is that I take a tip from the cowboys on the holster. All real western holsters had a hammer loop that secured the pistol in the holster. A simple loop of 1/8th bungee hooked to the holster or passed through a hole in it, will secure the pistol and it's something you can find, hook or unhook without looking at, which is good.

Welcome to the club!
Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Only advice I can give is don't cower when somebody with a lot of paint tries to bunker you. Your faster so you can snap out and if your feeling a bit crazy run out completely firing like a crazy man! Sometimes it works!.

Oh and if nothing is happening in front of you and you can see people at the back of the field standing in the open or not hiding as much as the front players, take a shot or two, you may just hit them!
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
all work

It sounds to me like you've got the right of pistol play already. Exploiting your mobility and low profile is the key to offsetting your lower capacity. Find areas of your field that provide the sort of cover that allows you to exploit your advantages and control them. I like to close the distance to my target when I can't get a clean shot. Being close gives me opportunities to flank and bunker opponents. It's easier to exploit your snap shooting advantage when you close the distance and chose the angle too.

Armor works well with getting close to a player that shoots more volume than you. Pads are important when you're moving fast on uncertain footing with hard obstacles. I'm more decisive and aggressive when I'm padded up.

You'll need more water if you're running, consider a hydration bladder. You may fog more if your properly hydrated and sprinting off the break so make sure your goggles are up to the task. Visibility is crucial since you'll be shooting less and looking for opportunities more.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms