mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
TPX hands down just because of how much T8/.1 mags weigh. Everything else is a moot point.
this. i owned a T8.1 for a while. its a great shooter, no doubt. no problems with the gun itself; truth be told i kinda prefer it. but the mags are just too heavy. the TPX is also a great shooter, and you're not going to have problems with clamshells or mags. switching to the TPX is the reason i now play pistol primary most of the time. when i had the 8.1, i was spreading time evenly with my axe and pump as well

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

It's sad because I think just about everything about the T8 is better except for the non-threaded barrel and the weight/size of the mags. For me at least, it's grip angle, trigger pull, and looks are all superior to the TPX. However, that weight difference in the mags is actually enough for me to say the TPX is the better choice for a primary OR secondary pistol application. Well, if you're not counting stacked-tube pistols loaded with 10-round tubes, anyway....
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
It's sad because I think just about everything about the T8 is better except for the non-threaded barrel and the weight/size of the mags. For me at least, it's grip angle, trigger pull, and looks are all superior to the TPX. However, that weight difference in the mags is actually enough for me to say the TPX is the better choice for a primary OR secondary pistol application. Well, if you're not counting stacked-tube pistols loaded with 10-round tubes, anyway....
Once I shaved off the finger grooves and hump on the back of the grip the angles are comparable, but yea it's all about the mags.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Once I shaved off the finger grooves and hump on the back of the grip the angles are comparable, but yea it's all about the mags.
I'll politely disagree there AJ, maybe hand size/shape has something to do with the way it feels but all of my TPX's have had shaved grips and I still feel the angle was much closer to vertical than the T8 frame. I was constantly aiming low with my TPX's because of it.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaser666 View Post
DOPE = Data On Previous Engagements
A sniper term for knowing how a particular weapon shoots at different ranges.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Chappy: "This is MCB, we don' task "why"."
Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I'll politely disagree there AJ, maybe hand size/shape has something to do with the way it feels but all of my TPX's have had shaved grips and I still feel the angle was much closer to vertical than the T8 frame. I was constantly aiming low with my TPX's because of it.
Yeah, Snake on our team has the same problem, his hands are just too small to hold the T8 comfortably (even with the grips shaved and stippled) - otherwise he said he'd be using one.
Funnily enough, he told me the same thing about his TPX shooting low, so when I took it off of him (and shot straight) I was dubious until he said that I'd (unconsciously) tilted the barrel higher because of those naff grips.

I've got to admit, it is quite a strange shape, but that might just be because my hands are huge...

STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Thanks for the great advice everyone, certainly hasn't made my decision easier though!

I won't be doing constant air for the pistol, 12 grams only is my preferred, so that's not a factor

I DO like the idea of the compensators that folks add to the T8s. The Underground Mod Shop ones are sweet.

Perhaps the only way for me to really decide is to procure one of each?! Haha...

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Chappy: "This is MCB, we don' task "why"."
Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Barned

Have you tried both out? I don't own either but have still used both, and personally I like the Tipx better. I have small hands but in general I found the Tipx more versatile [easier to aim, pop off shots, ect.] The t8 was definitly the more accurate of the latter but the Tipx could pop off shots much more quickly than a T8. I also noticed reloading with the Tipx was much quicker, and of course the mags are lighter. you also have a better upgrade choice on barrels with the Tipx because it's a5/x7 threaded, where the Tiberius selection is a bit more limited.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass and Wood Fan
At the end of the day you will have to handle both of them and decide for yourself.

They are both blowforward pistols, regulated, have an optional remote line adapter, magfed, capable of FS (with a modification for the TPX).

The difference is the weight, the build materials, and the difference of 1 round per mag.

In terms of barrels...yes the TPX is A5X7 threaded but it has to fit inside the breech. And for the tiberius, yes there aren't a million barrel options, but there are enough. Want a rifled barrel? You can choose between milsig, hammerhead, and lapco. Want a smoothbore barrel? You can choose between two lapco sizes (.686 and .690) and flasc and then you have flascs barrel kit and the freaked bored barrels. So there are plenty of options.

Then you have adjustable triggers and upgraded/flipped mag releases for the tiberius which the tpx has neither of. And then compensators, but those are mostly just for the coolness factor. Tiberius also has extended mags if you can find them.

Personally I think tiberius is a better all around pistol, but if you can't deal with the big grip there is no point in looking into it.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

*tosses .02 into the kitty*

I have shot both, and both designs have merit. Tippmann's design is very similar to the design they have invested in their Phenom guns, so if you are a Phenom owner then the though process to tech both is not that much of a logical jump. I personally own a 9.1 and an original T8. Both the Tippmann and the Tiberius designs are fine gun. My personal gripe is that I hate the feel of the trigger pull of the TPX versus the Tiberius guns. With the Tiberius guns, it feels like a real weapon, in that I feel something like a sear disingaging on the trigger pull. On the TPX the trigger pull is depressing a valve, and it feels like that.

I like the fact that if you are using a TPX as a backup/sidearm weapon, and you never draw it, then you never waste a 12 gram, but I have been using my T8 more and more to the point that it justifies the 12 grams, because I will eventually use them all in a day at the field.

Do not know if my opinion helped or hurt, but I guess you can chalk my point to the personal preference bucket.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms