mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Thanks again for all the inputs! I am going to try and pick up a bolt-action sniper for my primary, so I think the interchangeable mags thing is less of a factor.

I like the discussion on barrel options, as well as the 12 gram considerations. I have only handled a Tib 8 back in 2006, so no experience with the TPX.

For those that use Tiberius with 12 grams, how does it work: when you load the cartridge in the magazine, does it puncture the cart and pressurize a chamber in the mag itself? And does it only release the gas once inserted into the marker? I'm guessing once you eject a magazine, it automatically reseals itself and preserves the remainder of gas in the cartridge?

If this is the case, how efficient are the magazines, do they hold gas for an extended period of time or do they leak over a relatively short period?

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

It has a check valve behind the pierce pin in the magazine. When you put the mag in, the check valve is opened by the tube in the pistol, eject it and the check valve closes, so the co2 is kept in the 12g.

I've had several T8s and I've used the TiPX instead since it came out, myself. Easy choice for me because I use 2 pistols as my primary, though I may only have 1 out at any given time. This swings things over heavily on the side of the Tippmann, not only do I have the weight of 2 pistols but in some situations I use up mags faster than any one pistol could. The almost 1lb weight of the loaded Tib magazines added to the weight of the Tib pistol is a no go for me.
If I carried the same # of loaded T8 mags as I wear all the time with my TPX, it would be 25 pounds worth of magazines
Not a concern if you're using it as a backup, though.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
It has a check valve behind the pierce pin in the magazine. When you put the mag in, the check valve is opened by the tube in the pistol, eject it and the check valve closes, so the co2 is kept in the 12g.

I've had several T8s and I've used the TiPX instead since it came out, myself. Easy choice for me because I use 2 pistols as my primary, though I may only have 1 out at any given time. This swings things over heavily on the side of the Tippmann, not only do I have the weight of 2 pistols but in some situations I use up mags faster than any one pistol could. The almost 1lb weight of the loaded Tib magazines added to the weight of the Tib pistol is a no go for me.
If I carried the same # of loaded T8 mags as I wear all the time with my TPX, it would be 25 pounds worth of magazines
Not a concern if you're using it as a backup, though.

Rob
Well, I am no stranger to heavy weapons, I typically carry one or two ;-)

That being said, weight isnt un-important. I'd likely carry the pistol in a holster and carry 3 mags + 1 in-marker for a total of 32 rounds (Tib) or 28 (TPX). Again, I'm just worried that the 12 grams would leak out during the day if I don't use it frequently... That would definitely give the TPX an edge. However, I still think the Tibs just look so much better and more well-constructed. Often, I find myself drawn to the higher-quality items, even if they are a little more solid in the weight department.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15 View Post
Well, I am no stranger to heavy weapons, I typically carry one or two ;-)

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...pest_II_19.JPG http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...nd_2008_20.JPG

That being said, weight isnt un-important. I'd likely carry the pistol in a holster and carry 3 mags + 1 in-marker for a total of 32 rounds (Tib) or 28 (TPX). Again, I'm just worried that the 12 grams would leak out during the day if I don't use it frequently... That would definitely give the TPX an edge. However, I still think the Tibs just look so much better and more well-constructed. Often, I find myself drawn to the higher-quality items, even if they are a little more solid in the weight department.
On big game days I carry a full P3 pack (7 mags) and sometimes I don't touch a mag till half way through the day. It still has air.

Of course...if you're at a game like living legends where you play all weekend I don't think the gas would keep overnight, but thats not really important.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
On big game days I carry a full P3 pack (7 mags) and sometimes I don't touch a mag till half way through the day. It still has air.

Of course...if you're at a game like living legends where you play all weekend I don't think the gas would keep overnight, but thats not really important.
Good data points, thanks.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
all work

I've left a mag aired up(T8) for over a month and then fired 24 shots from it. If your mag depressurizes over night you need to replace/lube the o-rings.

A right side mag release is the best upgrade for a Tiberius marker, though if you use 8.1 mags they need to be modified slightly.

Barrels don't seem to be much of an issue. I've got (according to my calipers) a .686 a .689 and a .690 all seem accurate with any paint I've had in the past year. Save your money IMO.

Buying one of each and selling the one you like less is a popular technique here, I think you should do that.

Edit: BTW that's some nasty brass!
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Jason- I have a T8 that hangs on my pegboard. If you'd like, I'll send it to you to try out. Just have 2 mags, though.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
Jason- I have a T8 that hangs on my pegboard. If you'd like, I'll send it to you to try out. Just have 2 mags, though.
Ha, that would be really cool: If you're not using it, that would be fun, and I'll report back on how I like it!

I'll send you a PM with my address, just send me your paypal and I'll send money for shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar
Edit: BTW that's some nasty brass!
It surely is!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I still think of them in this way

secondary backup = tpx with one 12grams worth of spare mags.

primary, low shot count = tib8 or 8.1 with 3-4 mags(reload mags between 20 min games)

primary, high shot count = tpx with tons of mags and pistol pursuit pods and tons of 12vies.

basically if you need a light weight setup, then tpx. Tib mags will be too heavy without suspenders if you wear more than 4, but if that's all you need in one game then the tib mags will give you faster reloads(in total time).

ps. I think some of my tib mags still have gassed up 12vies in them from the last time I played
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
Ranger of the South

I tried loading up a 12gm in a TPX, since I wanted to see what I was missing, but had a significant amount of trouble. Now it was a standard TPX, not modded to work better like Agent Smith's. I found out later that since not all 12gms are the same size, you might have to adjust or modify the 12gm compartment or cap on the TPX. And of course I had different 12gms than my buddy. I did try one of his and just couldn't get it to screw on. Not sure why.

I do own a Tib 8.1 and have for more than 2 years. I've used it as a primary - mostly, and occasionally as a secondary, during big games or when I'm using a pump/single loading FS. As primary, I'll run it with 3 or 4 total mags. I do have a Flasc barrel for it, so I can swap out any of my tips with any of my other markers, including Apex tips, mock suppressors, and other assorted tips or barrel extensions.

After the first nerve wracking game as primary at a big field (I usually play outlaw) against speedball markers, which included reloading my 2 mags in the field from cut down 10 rnd tubes to 8rnd, I grew to enjoy the challenge. I have to admit that since then, the 3rd mag makes all the difference. Also, it taught me to quickly reload in the field. Another option is 3 mags with paint and 1 with FS rounds, field permitting. Now, just last week I was not feeling too hot, so just ran with 3 mags and no reloads, instead of my usual tac vest and TM - usually with a remote. I basically walked or trotted from bunker to bunker and ended up getting the final elimination of that game, at night, with a single shot that game. Once I got into position, I took one shot and heard..."Owww." My buddy told me later that of all the games we played that night - there were a couple more after that one, that one was the most painful since it basically just hurt his feelings more that anything.

As far as 12gms. If we're playing short games, I may only play with 2 or 3 mags. I'll keep the 12gm in the mag, but won't pierce it - don't screw the toolless lever all the way until it stops. You can even have the mag in the gun without it being aired up, then just before, you screw it in and air it up. I've gotten as many as 32 shots in one 12 gm, but am averaging 28 -30 shots per 12 gm (3 1/2 mags worth/magazine).

Only mods, are the Killjoy Trigger and I added some fiber optic sights to the top from the local Cabela's that were made for a shotgun. Good luck with the demo. The 8.0 is nice and very similar to the 8.1, just not FS ready. I have medium sized hands (wear 7.5 gloves) and while I was worried at first, the grip actually doesn't feel as big as it did at first. The rest has been covered adequately above, just wanted to add my part.

My MCB Feedback

Last edited by longhornjake; 02-04-2013 at 02:35 AM.
longhornjake is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms