mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Pistol selection, Tiberius or TPX?

So... I'm interested in changing up my style of play a bit, and I'd like to get some sort of first-strike equipped primary rifle, and use a pistol as backup/close quarters support if my opponents charge in. For reference, I used to own 2 AGD Sydarms (original police/military issue) and never had much luck using them on the field. As AgentSmith has posted many times, the 12g injecting liquid down into the valve is not optimal. Though I have to say, the Sydarm wins for overall style and cool-factor!

I've been looking at both the Tiberius T8/9 line as well as the Tippman TPX, and I was surprised that I couldn't find a comparison article in this section! (maybe I didn't look hard enough...). Here are my considerations:

- primary marker needs to use first strikes... I would LOVE a CCM SR-1, but still waiting on a future production run
- pistol does not have to use first strikes, though it's a plus if they do
- pistol must be accurate! I don't mind getting upgraded barrels, but I won't spend $500 after upgrades to a pistol
- common magazines are a plus, i.e. some sort of Tiberius rifle setup for primary and then Tiberius pistol for backup. Obviously if I go for a TPX, then this is a moot point
- need to have good holster/harness options available

On the surface, Tiberius looks to be the way to go, but I have one data point on actually using an early-run Tiberius that left a sour taste. I went to the Tiberius booth at Oklahoma D-Day 2006 and tried one of their pistols, and was appalled at the horrible accuracy as well as the over-sized feel of it. Now, things may have changed since then, but I was simply not impressed. I can't seem to shake that impression, even though I'm sure they have made vast improvements since '06.

On the Tippmann side, I owned an old pro-lite back in the day, which never saw much use. And I've tried M98s both in my college paintball club and at various fields for rentals. I've also done my share of repairing those as well as a friend's A-5 recently. To tell you the truth, I'm not really all that impressed with Tippman's component quality, nor am I a fan of their proprietary push-pins, hardware, etc.

So, pistol experts: what do you think?! Is there a way for me to get what I want in this situation, and am I overlooking any other obvious sidearm choices?

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

for primary first strike I really suggest the t9.1 with the rifled barrel...its finicky and takes a while to build dope on the marker but in the end it will be worth it

tipx is the winner for sidearm category
souz4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Build dope? Sorry, I'm not sure what that means.

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have a t8.1 and I really like it. And at the time I'd say it was the best pistol out there... at the time. The TPX has passed it up imo. It has cheaper, less complicated, and less faulty mags. You can run air thru it with an airline with a modification. And you can upgrade it to shoot FS. Before that the T8.1 and T9.1 were the only pistols that were capable of that.

My other suggestion would be that if you wanted a primary that shot FS and a pistol then the T9.1 could be both. Though if you are hoping to use or carry both at the same time then that isn't of much use to you.
voad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
US ARMY SIG CORPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15 View Post
Build dope? Sorry, I'm not sure what that means.
DOPE = Data On Previous Engagements
A sniper term for knowing how a particular weapon shoots at different ranges.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by voad View Post
I have a t8.1 and I really like it. And at the time I'd say it was the best pistol out there... at the time. The TPX has passed it up imo. It has cheaper, less complicated, and less faulty mags. You can run air thru it with an airline with a modification. And you can upgrade it to shoot FS. Before that the T8.1 and T9.1 were the only pistols that were capable of that.
Ill weigh in on the topic more when I get home and have access to a computer (currently posting from my mobile).

But the for the remote line issue...it is now a moot point because there is a remote adapter for both the tpx and the T8.1 that go through the back of the gun body. I would even dare to say that the T8.1 kit is better because the tpx kit requires you to drill a hole into the gun that is not reversable.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
all work

I'm not a fan of Tippmann's current build quality either. I owned the original SL68 and they don't build em like that anymore, it's all plastic and clam shells now. The TPX is the lighter setup though and mags are cheaper.

I'd tell you to go with the Tiberius line since you want a FSR long gun and a pistol too. It makes sense to have magazine and parts compatibility across the board but if Tiberius felt oversized to you in '06 it'll feel the same way today. The grip is the same as on the original T8 and if it doesn't feel right in your hands then it's probably not a good choice. FWIW I haven't anything bad to say regarding the accuracy of any of my three Tiberius pistols, they all seem to shoot darts.

If you have your heart set on mag fed .68 cal pistols then it's Tippmann Or Tiberius. Go try them on and see which one fits you best.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Ill weigh in on the topic more when I get home and have access to a computer (currently posting from my mobile).

But the for the remote line issue...it is now a moot point because there is a remote adapter for both the tpx and the T8.1 that go through the back of the gun body. I would even dare to say that the T8.1 kit is better because the tpx kit requires you to drill a hole into the gun that is not reversable.
Ahhh, didn't know that.
voad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
For a sidearm, and purely a sidearm, I'd probably say the TiPX is the better choice - it's lighter, you're only really going to be using it in close quarters and CO2 changes aren't really an issue.
If you were going to be taking it as a primary, personally (after extensively trying both) I feel the 8.1 is a better pistol - although it's heavier, has larger grips and is more expensive to field (mags are costly, and your CO2 is going to be in them already, whether you use it or not!). It just seems to have the greatest potential for consistant, accurate shooting, and delivers it without the imbalance you'll get from the TiPX.

Again, at sidearm-drawing range this is a completely moot point, they'll both hit where you're aiming.
Something to note though, if you're going to be carrying either in a drop-leg holster, they will draw differently when stock;
The TiPX houses it's heavier parts in the front end, and a lot of users I've dealt with (or trained) in the past found themselves shooting the floor around their opponents feet as they drew.
Similarly, the T8's are rear-heavy, so that barrel will be tilting upwards when drawn - it makes for a faster clearance BUT unless you compensate for that (or stick something to weigh it down like a longer barrel or comp) on it, you're going to miss.

Hope this helps!

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
TPX hands down just because of how much T8/.1 mags weigh. Everything else is a moot point.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms