mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Has too much crap

The *free* tpx reloading mod you have been waiting for!

This has probably been done before, but I will give a tutorial here for all else who would like to try it.

I have done this mod with tru-feed mags, and I don't know if it will work with 8-ball mags, because I don't have any.

The thesis for this mod is: a means to depress the ball retainer so you can pour paint into the mag from a pursuit pod, tube, hopper, q-loader tube, copper pipe, garden hose, lego blocks, playdough or whatever you reload mags with. But this means you don't have to push each paintball in individually.

You will need a dremel tool or fine saw that can cut through plastic, and a file to do this mod.

Start by disassembling your magazine. If you are not sure what you are doing in that regard, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iT-iAOyOK8

Next take the right half of the magazine and find the hollow square of material right by where the follower release rod came to the top of the magazine. It is the bottom right corner in this picture.

Cut out that square, and file it down to smooth it off so it is not so rough. It should look something like this when you are done:

Make sure that if you are cutting with a dremel tool you are wearing eye protection. When I was cutting my first magazine my cut-off disc exploded and went everywhere at a couple thousand rpm. I was wearing safety glasses at the time, but the only chunk that hit me went across my arm. I think the disc may have had a crack in it before I started cutting. But you only have one set of eyes so take care of em' because you never know when something dumb like this will take them out!

Once you have cut and filed your magazines, just reassemble them and you are good to go.

Now, you can hold the magazine in your left hand and use your thumb to depress the follower release rod, which pulls back the ball retainer so you can pour paint into the mag. If you push to far, you will release the follower and shoot all your paint out, but you have to push very hard to do that. Just fiddle with it for a little bit and you will get used to it very easily. If you want to have the mag in your right hand for reloading, just cut the left side of the magazine instead, it doesn't matter which side you cut for the mod.

Retainer forward:

Retainer pulled back for loading:

Good things about this mod: makes TiPX mags faster to reload, and allows you to use a pursuit pod or tubes.

Bad things about this mod: leaves the follower release more exposed, so there is a higher chance of it being hit and launching all of your balls out. If you cut both sides of the magazine to have more room, you will definitely hit the follower unintentionally when inserting your mags into pouches, so only cut one side of the mag.

While your mags are apart, do a quick First Strike mod to them too! I didn't but it would probably be a good idea to.

Thanks for looking and have fun!

Tipx reloading mod
Feedback
Youtube
Ebay

Last edited by smiffington; 08-08-2014 at 05:27 PM.
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Very nice now I,ve got more stuff to do...

Thanks man this is a mod!!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Hmph... I'm actually sort of shocked that it took this long for someone to figure this out. Great idea brother!
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
ROARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Nice but that issue where you might depress it accidentally when you put it in your pack kills the idea for me. But very good observation OP!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Has too much crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggymarley View Post
Nice but that issue where you might depress it accidentally when you put it in your pack kills the idea for me. But very good observation OP!
I have never had that happen yet, but it is a higher possibility. I just threw it out there to be honest. If you are using soft pouches I can't see it happening. If you don't want to cut up your mags, you can use the stock barrel plug for the TPX to depress the ball retainer too, but that is harder to get the hang of.

Tipx reloading mod
Feedback
Youtube
Ebay
Old 07-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
ROARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

True... This might work well with the SSC speed feed mod.

Use thumb to depress, slide into speed feed to push the rubber band "X" down, balls load....profit.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Has too much crap

Just got the whole fleet done...

Make sure you get all the shavings out from when you are cutting, if you don't then they might make the follower release rod stick.

Tipx reloading mod
Feedback
Youtube
Ebay

Last edited by smiffington; 08-08-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

wow that a lot of mags. I'm going to try this on two for starters to see how it goes. Since I've modified my speed feed loader already this will render the little hook for stock mags unneeded.

This will mean 4 zetaMags + 2 Tipx mags + my Mag Loader tube system = more playing time.
Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bad@ss

Thanks! I'll definitely be using this with the tpx's. Now for a mod that makes zetamags easier to reload
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ofEverything View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely be using this with the tpx's. Now for a mod that makes zetamags easier to reload
Have you seen this.
Wash is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms