mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Help me obtain some Crosman 3357 info

I am getting ready for my second year CNC course at school and am going to do something with with a Crosman 357. I was going that I could get some help with some measurements and stuff.

First off. If someone could grab me these dimensions:

It would be great to have some close up shots of the front face of the marker where the air exits the valve and enters the cylinder, the front, back and side of the cylinder, and would it be possible to get a look of the internals with the hammer at different stages of being fired. Or maybe a video describing how it works.

Also, is the linkage between the hammer and the indexer for the cylinder different in the 10 shot pellet version versus the 3357 six shooter?

Thanks

Last edited by TheHow7zer; 07-30-2013 at 10:14 PM.
TheHow7zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
PLUS VLTRA

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Send a PM to "acrewofone."
2. Do not put any airsmith before the WALZ
3. Do not covet thy neighbors brass
4. Give a lot of cool **** to cool people for free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancyfingers View Post
I stumbled in here looking for autococker/pump advise [sic] and being FLAMED OUT MY A$$ on PBN.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Best bet is just to buy one. The 3357s cost a bit mainly due to the hard to find barrels and cylinders. The 357s are actually not that expensive. If you're making a new front end though might want to base it on the new model that crosman currently sells and supports (3576).

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

That's my plan. I just haven't bought one yet. But there Ade some things I can't figure out from just the 3576 like weather they have different indexing parts for the different number of shots in a cylinder
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

the teeth on the cylinder are what affect the number of shots (a 6 shot cylinder will have 6 big teeth and a 10 shot one will have 10 smaller teeth) I dont know if I explained it right... I will look for the 6 and 10 shot cylinders for my 357 and take a pic (if i can find them)

the Indexing parts are very close or the same form the old models to the new ones.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Send a PM to "acrewofone."
I agree with the above statement!

Here... Crosman 3357 rebuilding/restoration service.
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHow7zer View Post
I am getting ready for my second year CNC course at school and am going to do something with with a Crosman 357. I was going that I could get some help with some measurements and stuff.

First off. If someone could grab me these dimensions:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...43340386_n.jpg

It would be great to have some close up shots of the front face of the marker where the air exits the valve and enters the cylinder, the front, back and side of the cylinder, and would it be possible to get a look of the internals with the hammer at different stages of being fired. Or maybe a video describing how it works.

Also, is the linkage between the hammer and the indexer for the cylinder different in the 10 shot pellet version versus the 3357 six shooter?

Thanks

Will try to get A & B when I get to my home computer (currently on work computer).

Yes, the internals, especially the link arm and index arm are different in the newer 357, than the older (western gripped) 357 and 3357. Due to where the link arm attaches to the trigger and hammer, a modern 10 shot 357 will not index the 3357 6 shot cylinder correctly, especially in single action. I have some pics of both internals and will post them when I can get to my home computer. If I can find my digital camera, might be able to get some pics of the cylinder and 3357 that you wanted also.

eBay 1139+/0- Feedback
PBNation 169+/0- Feedback
M. Carter Brown 109+/0- Feedback
OVER 1400 ALL POSITIVE TRANSACTION FEEDBACK!

Last edited by acrewofone; 07-31-2013 at 03:18 PM.
acrewofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Fan of EMR
Was able to find some info, even though I'm doing this from work computer (sssshhhh)

The main difference in the older 357/3357 and the modern 357 is in the index arm and link rod. On 3357 (and older 357) the arm is pushed down in the back, hence up in the front, by where it's connected to the bottom part of the hammer (arm hinges on the trigger pin), and also when the trigger is pulled back, it pushes on the lower front part of the hammer:

But on newer 357 the arm is pushed up by the back of the trigger, it is hinged on the back part of the trigger, where the longer end of the link rod sticks through, instead of on the trigger pin. So the hammer movement does not affect the index arm as much, this is why hammer cocking (single action) does not properly advance the 3357 6 shot cylinder, while double action (trigger) will advance the cylinder properly. (on the 10 shot pellet cylinder, single action works because it advances the cylinder a smaller distance than on a 6 shot cylinder).

You can actually still purchase the vintage parts from crosman (800-724-7486), that you need to convert a modern 357 to one that will properly index the vintage 6 shot 3357 cylinder:

357-051 lever
357-033 link
357-018 pin
357-053 bushing

You will also need to change the spring behind the cylinder detent, it's a much weaker spring on a modern 357, as it only has the index a small 10 shot cylinder, instead of the large 6 shot 3357 cylinder:

357-037 spring

As I understand it, crosman made these changes on the modern 357 (weaker spring, different link arm setup, etc), to make an overall lighter trigger pull, than the older 357.

eBay 1139+/0- Feedback

Last edited by acrewofone; 07-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Fan of EMR
Got some measurements for first post:

A = (12mm) center of air hole to center of mounting hole
B = (33mm) diameter of rear cylinder section

more info to come later

eBay 1139+/0- Feedback
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks acrewofone, that's awesome. It sounds like I'm going to have to come up with something a different as I want to do a four shot cylinder

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms