mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

The 30rd Thompson and MP5/extended glock magazine pouches are a couple inches short.

The army made alot of confusion by marking the M3 grease gun pouches(the M3 submachine gun has a longer singlestack 30rd mag) as thompson mag pouches because the shorter thompson mags used that pouch also.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
T-T
MCB Member

Just thought I'd throw this in:

Fazmags work OK with battle belts, but they're really designed for three rows of molle, so get a little twist.
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

God bless you guys who run Fazmags, but for me, I just don't get it... That's a "pouch" designed more around competition shooting, fast draw/secure hold, but in a more combat-oriented situation where you're bumping up against cover, or crawling over terrain, I just can't imagine having solid mag pouches that don't collapse when empty. Especially in a game where every hard surface you wear increases the likelihood of your own elimination.

In the short time I dabbled in TPX-land again, I ran my Zetas with the McCann open-top pouches on a MOLLE belt. They held securely but definitely left the mags exposed to shots and dirt. A covered pouch would have been nice but I can also see that being a bit of a pain since I wanted to keep my Zetas to my back because of the length.

Oh well, I'll go back to my 10 round tubes and leave you guys to it lol...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
T-T
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
God bless you guys who run Fazmags, but for me, I just don't get it... That's a "pouch" designed more around competition shooting, fast draw/secure hold, but in a more combat-oriented situation where you're bumping up against cover, or crawling over terrain, I just can't imagine having solid mag pouches that don't collapse when empty. Especially in a game where every hard surface you wear increases the likelihood of your own elimination.

In the short time I dabbled in TPX-land again, I ran my Zetas with the McCann open-top pouches on a MOLLE belt. They held securely but definitely left the mags exposed to shots and dirt. A covered pouch would have been nice but I can also see that being a bit of a pain since I wanted to keep my Zetas to my back because of the length.

Well personally I don't run a dump pouch and use one less fazmag than zeta, so they're always full. I also feel running them on my chest wouldn't go well.

They definitely aren't perfect, but they're the best I have for now, until I buy a sewing machine/a lot of kydex. =P
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post

I had the same questions and initial hesitations as you did but after using them I didn't find them to have those problems if I used them in a specific way.

I placed them (4 fazmags and 3 zetamags one in the gun) on my back left hip because I primarily shoot right handed. I wore them upside down on a padded belt where they are strapped on tight and don't move due to the thickness of the belt. I then wear a jersey or sweater over top and it hangs past the fazmags providing some protection from dirt debris etc... I found I didn't notice lying on them at all in that position. Didn't hinder movement running, crouching, crawling either. As mentioned earlier I followed Agentsmith's suggestion of using a elasticised cord on the dust boots. They never came off and held the mags and balls in the fazmags securely while still letting me draw them out quickly.

Overall it worked great for me today and I found playing with them pretty easy. I don't use a dump pouch because I keep a fazmag empty for the one in the gun during changes.

I'm finding PistolRogue's and agentsmith's advice really help...pistol play is all in the details. Gotta keep trying new things and finding ways of improvment.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Due to the thick brush nature of Hell Survivors where I mostly play, I'm even more fanatical about covering my mags than Rogue. I'll be honest, if I didn't have full closeable pockets that fit zetamags, I would not use them at all.
Whether it's rain, mud, snow or a half quart of dew out of a tree I just brushed, it's the enemy.

If I often played a more urban, cqb field I might fazmag.
Not to be all La-De-Da, but I've spent FAR more on gear than I ever will on markers, each pistol demands it's own setup.
I do try to keep my gear the same once I get it right, if I can't wear it anywhere, anygame, then I won't wear it.

I'll have fun, bust out a bandolier and a cowboy hat or a Santa suit!
Just not in games I care about winning.

Though my gear looks different with different building blocks, functionally it's laid out he same as what I wore 15 years ago.

Rogue and I just got a headstart but thank you!

Rob

Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I hear that and time will tell if they perform adequately. You're right about the fields you play at affecting gear choices. The main fields I play at are manicured and clean.

Normally I play stock class or modified stock class pistol setups. Finding the mags and tipx to be a new fun way of playing. Like everyone, just looking to have fun and get better. Sometimes gear changes help with both.

As always thanks for the input.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Dump pouch ...

I have 4 mags in a chest pouch and one in the gun.

I leave the top of my jacket open (for a dump pouch) to dump the 1/2 empty magazines (the harness keeps the jacket closed on the bottom).

When I run out of mags I retrive the half empties and use the second 10 shots. Then I replace the completely empty mags in the pouches.

confusing yes ......

Shaken......but not stirred. Licenced to paint.
bond commander bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not really, it's faster to load a new zeta instead of flipping it for me as well. In high stress I work them the same way, just with my oversized back pockets!

Rob

Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Keep in mind to never pre-release the ZetaMag before loading. You don't want to keep your paint under pressure and will also help decrease the chance of paint falling out. If you guys ever have any questions or need service for the ZetaMag please e-mail us at support@starkpursuit.com. We love to hear customer feedback.
Stark Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms