mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Winterizing TPX's

My neighbor and I went out to play some one-on-one the other day, me with my Calamity-style TiPX that I've had almost a year and him with his brand-new TiPX that he was using for the first time. Now, we were playing in -7 Degrees Celsius weather and needless to say, both guns were having their own issues.

For mine, I was getting about 20 shots per twelvie and, though I can't confirm (no chrono) it seemed to be shooting faster than the ~260fps its usually set at.

His on the other hand was leaking through the over-pressure release (I know how to solve that problem), but his was definitely shooting hot and he was barely able to get a full mag of 7 rounds before running out of co2. Also when he pulled the trigger you could see a blast of co2 coming out the back of the pistol.

So I guess what I'm asking for is some knowledge on how the cold affects the co2 ( I know it slows down the co2's expansion from liquid to gas) and how to get the best efficiency out of the pistols. I don't understand why the guns would shoot hotter with cold co2 than they do in normal temperatures.

I played through all of last winter with my Araikon Overlord RX and never had any issue other than it shooting at a lower fps than usual. I was expecting the TPX's to perform better due to their regulators and because they are not based on a blow-back system.

P.S. Anyone know where I could find some parts for said Ovelord? Mine needs a new valve and setscrew.
TheHow7zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

In the case of his pistol the velocity was set so much higher that even at higher velocity it was blowing the overpressure at the shot.

The easiest way to say it is if liquid co2 gets warm it turns to gas. If it has room to expand, it turns to gas.
So liquid is filling the valve and when he pulls the trigger(opening the gas to escape out the barrel, which drops the pressure) all that liquid turns to gas. A small amount of liquid makes a LOT of gas, so it's overloading the pistol.

Liquid boosts velocity 2 ways. It puts a huge volume of gas into a tiny valve PLUS, the liquid has mass when it hits the tipx bolt and makes that go faster, then hits the ball and makes it go faster yet.

It's normal to have to lower both your overpressure and your velocity adjust a LOT in cold weather.

No help on overlord parts that I know of, sorry!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

At temperatures that cold it is much more difficult for the liquid co2 to change to a gas. You'll shoot hot when liquid co2 enters your valve. There's really nothing you can do about it.
A long time ago we used to set our co2 tanks around the fire (during the winter) and try to warm our the bottles after getting fresh fills. Many a burst disc blew when the tanks were over-filled (which is easy to do if you're not using a scale during the winter).

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms