mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Reviews on the Zetamag?

I've been out of the latest and greatest in paintball for a year or so now, so I kinda missed the release of the Zetamag, which seems to have solved the problems I had with the TPX (Namely, a tiny tiny capacity)

So, how are they? I'm planning to pick up a TPX and some Zetas soon to get back into pistol play, but are they worth it? Are they rugged, and not ball-munching, or should I stick to the regular mags?

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I like them. I have version one and while I didn't have a problem with them a lot of people did. They just came out with version two so make sure you buy those.
Crimson Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Reviews on the Zetamag?

I'm still in the "overhead springfeed" camp when it comes to pistols but the Zetamags were a huge improvement over stockers. You just can't be ham-fisted with them which led to a lot of people having issues mangling the springs, which have since been updated in the V2 Zetas.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Budget Baller

Like the others have said make sure to pick up the version 2 Zetamags. I have the verson 1 and haven't really had any of the problems some owners do with them. The worst I've had was the tangled spring issue but that's more of an inconvenience than actually complicated to repair when it happens. It normally happens to me once every outing although last time playing I put about 350 rounds through it and didn't tangle one mag. Overall I really like them.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

I like what I'm hearing. What were the spring problems with the Gen1 springs, tangling up when filling? Can you just replace the springs, or is the spring channel different between the two?

With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
another gen1 zetamag owner here. i didnt have any problems other than i wish the detents were a bit stronger. i eventually started using the dust boot to cover the bottom half of full mags when in the pistol, otherwise a couple of balls will tend to fall out while youre running around. other than that, i love the things. i bought a total of 8.

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Zeta mag lover her, V1 but I put d-mag springs in them. Solved all the issues I never encountered in the first place lol
I run 4 using faz-mag holders. Very efficient set up i think. I dont have issues with balls falling out. But I agree that stronger detent springs would be nice piece of mind.
scribbleheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Budget Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
I like what I'm hearing. What were the spring problems with the Gen1 springs, tangling up when filling? Can you just replace the springs, or is the spring channel different between the two?
Sometimes when you're using the rod to lock the follower down (to reload) the spring would get tangled up on itself. You'd have to open them up a bit and get the spring out to straighten it. Only took a min or two and Stark Pursuit put a how-to video online (I think it was theirs at least?).

Some people replaced the stock springs with Dmag springs which supposedly were a lot better. I never bothered since it didn't happen much to me and it wasn't really that big of an inconvenience to fix between games.

Now only if I'd stop talking between fields and remember to release the follower before my first game of the day! Seems like every other outing my first trigger pull of the day I chop a ball because I forget about the follower release, haha At least I can pretty much tear down and rebuild my TiPX blind folded now....
Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
Sometimes when you're using the rod to lock the follower down (to reload) the spring would get tangled up on itself. You'd have to open them up a bit and get the spring out to straighten it. Only took a min or two and Stark Pursuit put a how-to video online (I think it was theirs at least?).

Some people replaced the stock springs with Dmag springs which supposedly were a lot better. I never bothered since it didn't happen much to me and it wasn't really that big of an inconvenience to fix between games.

Now only if I'd stop talking between fields and remember to release the follower before my first game of the day! Seems like every other outing my first trigger pull of the day I chop a ball because I forget about the follower release, haha At least I can pretty much tear down and rebuild my TiPX blind folded now....
When you are pushing your spring/followers down. Does it take a couple of strokes to get it to lock while making a horrible grinding noise?
scribbleheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Budget Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbleheli View Post
When you are pushing your spring/followers down. Does it take a couple of strokes to get it to lock while making a horrible grinding noise?
It used to take a few tries to get it to lock but I found out it was user error for me. I wasn't holding the follower release in the "up" position while trying to lock them down. Once I started doing that it seems like I get it to catch first try every time. Also seems like I get the springs tangled less when I do that.

As for the grinding noise I don't think I've ever heard it. Is it coming from the springs?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms