mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
I has a fuzzy hat

splatmasters

Are they worth it as a main gun, what are some pros and cond, and can i still get my hands on an all metal kit for one
psycho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I haven't used mine in a game yet, but based on board talk and my backyard tests-

Cons:
1. They generally shoot at a low velocity, and they're not easily adjustable
2. The pierce pins don't use a rubber seal and they commonly leak
3. No detents
4. Stiff cocking mechanism

Pros:
1. They're old school cool
2. The plastic bodies seem really quite durable. It's not cheap, brittle material.
3. When you shoot shomeone out with a Splatmaster you have truly owned that player. I guess a blow gun would maybe be more humiliating.
4. They are just a lot of fun to shoot.

The metal kits look nice. KidneyThief made one heck of a Splatmaster upgrade kit from what I've read. Unfortunately he never really got back into the business since an Afghanistan deployment a few years ago (I don't know the guy; again, this is just forum reading). I think I've seen a KT Splatmaster for sale once??? Never the kit itself, I don't think. Try checking with Tymcneer or one of the other airsmiths and see what they can do.

My personal opinion--metal Splatmasters seem pretty cool if you've got the cash to burn, but for the money you can do better with another pistol like a PGP.
Feedback

RIP
heinous
2006-2014
"No, I'M sorry"

Last edited by Axel; 02-28-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Just for reference: Splatmaster kits...
Feedback

RIP
heinous
2006-2014
"No, I'M sorry"
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
I has a fuzzy hat

Idk there cheap and pretty reliable once you get the hang of their quirks, i might pick up abiut 3 of them, 2 spares and ill rock one as my primary as im trying to get back into the sport, decides to go all old school this time, iv had my fun with paint spitting monsters, and what way to go old school then going all the way back to when it all started, im sure some home mods wouldnt hurt either
psycho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've got a pair of them and I have been less then impressed with them, even as fun guns.

Ball breaks are frequent, and cleaning the breach area requires full disassembly, which is time consuming, and getting the tiny ball detent and trigger springs into place can be tricky.

Velocity is on the lower side of usable (240-230) for the first 3 shots or so, then drops to 180 for the rest of the cartridge.
Accuracy is poor.

Reloading is irritating if you're used to the ease of something like a Phantom or PGP, since the 10-round tube at the front must be replaced- but not pushed in too far as it can easily go in too far and occlude the breech. Then you must use a car key or something to nudge the tube forward until a ball can load again. Using a barrel cover on the marker can also nudge the tube too deep and cause this problem.

I've found a workaround- wrapping a special 10-round tube with tape at the end to keep it from going too far into the body, but this means that on reloads the same tube must go back into the gun.

I love the looks I get when dual-wielding the things, but overall I can't say they're very pleasant to use.

Last edited by The Inflicted; 03-16-2014 at 10:26 PM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I used to run one as a primary a few years back, and they work fairly well - certainly no worse than most pistols.
Mine shot at 140fps (yep, that low) but still got shot-for-shot accuracy equivalent to the TiPX my teammate used.

Never had a break in it, but cleaning only takes a few minutes - just rinse it under a warm tap (it even states that in the manual! ).

For the price you can pick these up for, you really can't go wrong with them - and they do work; over here in the UK the average player carries something like an Etek or Dye tourny marker (and about 1400 rounds on the person) and my little splatty held it's own against them.

I say go for it.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Run?

Brass N Wood Fan
I guess it all depends on whether or not you get a "good one" that can still shoot at a reasonable velocity. I've ran around with mine before and it sure is a fun little gun. It won't ever replace my Phantom or PGP for stock class games but it's a nice change up once in a while. I even ran around with mine for a bit at Polar Bears vs. Penguins at Top Gun this year. If anything, I earned some old school cred shooting that thing.

My Feedback Thread

JonM is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms