mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Sidearms (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/)
-   -   Thinking about a Pistol (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/25859-thinking-about-pistol.html)

captain_rexx 11-12-2007 03:16 AM

Thinking about a Pistol

I am Thinking about buying a pistol interested in trying it out looking mostly at Overlord RX, ACP 2.0 and Zeus G2 not really sure if i want to spend the extra money on the Tib 8. Just wanted to know about consistency, problems, accuracy, easy to reload paintballs and 12 grams

CrazyBoy78 11-12-2007 08:04 AM

T8's are nice but you need to learn how to load the mags properly. For example, you can't slam the mags into the pistol because the top ball will almost always break; either on the edge of the breech or on the male valve spike thing. Mess either way.

If you've never used a pistol, I'd stick with something like what you've already mentioned (Overlord, ACP or Zeus) just because they're much easier to deal with and still give you good bang for your buck, pardon the pun.

Accuracy will always be an issue because pretty much all of the pistols out there are large bored so if you've only got access to small paint, you're gonna have issues.

Ir0nExpress 11-12-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyBoy78 (Post 245418)
T8's are nice but you need to learn how to load the mags properly. For example, you can't slam the mags into the pistol because the top ball will almost always break; either on the edge of the breech or on the male valve spike thing. Mess either way.

If you've never used a pistol, I'd stick with something like what you've already mentioned (Overlord, ACP or Zeus) just because they're much easier to deal with and still give you good bang for your buck, pardon the pun.

Accuracy will always be an issue because pretty much all of the pistols out there are large bored so if you've only got access to small paint, you're gonna have issues.

I've used both the Tac8 and the typical blowback pistols. In addition to the fixed bore, I also find that the recoil for the typical BB pistols(Overlord, Zeus, ACP) is much greater. Not to mention you can't really do much about the barrel issues (usually their detents suck too). I've never had an issue with reloading the tac8, the clips are rather hefty and the sheer weight locks it in without slamming. Beware of hand size though, these gun grips are not small, it's not the typical .45 frame like the BBs.

My verdict: Shell out the extra $60 for a used tac8 (I see them around floatin for $200 most of the time). It'll be better in the long run and you'll lose less if you decide to dump it for something cheaper. Not to mention, if you keep the tac8, there's all sorts of fun stuff for the tac8s around.

Or take a look into a tac9 if anything, a good deal might even beat out the tac8.

commando kyle 11-12-2007 09:17 AM

Ive never had problems slamming the mags into the magwell. Sometimes I slam them, sometimes, just for show, I slide the mag in enough to stay, then just tip the gun, and jerk it into the magazine... the crowd at the rec ball field usually loves that.

What Im saying is, I wouldnt worry about paint breaking in the mag, unless you hit the little bar and spring holding the paint in before its seated. Then you may lose a round or two into the magwell, and crush them as you seat the magazine. Then, good sir, you are hosed.

Mayvik 11-12-2007 12:11 PM

Tag8 is well worth the money if you're serious about a sidearm, but not serious enough to shell out for a PPS Squall. It's got good balance and a solid feel, and is nice and rugged. The easily removable barrel is very handy, although I've never had a break. Reloading with mags is great; I've never had a problem breaking paint when inserting a mag (except what everyone T8 noob probably does at least once, partially releasing the mag to check paint and smushing it back in). Tiberius customer service is great, as well. I pretty much always carry mine as a backup now, and have used it as a primary many times as well with great success.

russc 11-12-2007 12:56 PM

If you're going for a cheap BB sidearm, AgentSmith recommended the Miltec G2, which uses readily available parts.

commando kyle 11-12-2007 01:20 PM

Yep. I would listen to Smith... man knows his pistols. He can also point you the right direction in making one of those blowbacks into a very combat ready gun.

dead possum 11-12-2007 01:26 PM

i like my overlord (pre-rx), the complaints that i have are basicaly that unless i have access to a CNC/lathe setup i cant do much to it. and what i would be doing the RX version addressed. as i understand the bore on the RX is insert and barrel compatible along with the gun being lightened.

zues, have shot. is nice very comprable to overlord, IMO it is a bit bulkier and i dislike the way the clip sitts. 12g loading was nicer then the overlord due to side window access, in case of 12g freeze. but this was also adressed in the RX. like the overlord you can just carry additional 10rnd tubs and 12g's rather then additional clips, basicaly you are in a hybrid stock class with (10rnd+12g, but semi auto rather then pump)

Tac-8, have shot. this is the cream of the pistols out on the market. once again IMO it does not seem as if you have many internal 'upgrade' options, but that seams to be typical to pistols. grip is uncomfortably big but it shoots quite nice. and once you learn how to load/re-load it is a pretty thing. the big minus for me is that re-loading clips is not a task you want while in game on field, thus you need multiple clips and as you are limited to how you can shoot if it becomes the primary.

i would say that the overlord is my preferance due to appearance, weight, ballance, grip size.

agentSmith 11-12-2007 07:40 PM

There's more choices right now than ever before(including all the old choices still around).

For a doityourselfer or someone willing to have an airsmith work on your gun, the generic BB's(BlowBacks) are a good choice. These would be(deep breath) The G1+,G2+, WSP, PTX, G1, ZX, G2, ACP, ACP2.0, Overlord, T68, Delta68, Etc.
The weak point in all these guns is the piercing mechanisms for co2. I have converted most of these guns including my own Miltecs, Armotechs and warsensors as well as a PTX and a delta68 to use the pierce pins from the CCI Phantom pumpgun. These CCI pins outlast all others currently available by a clean 10 to 1 and are $6.00 each!!!
This will turn these pistols into dependable shooters.
Polishing the barrel, by whatever method you prefer(I use polishing flexhones) will really make these pistols shine.
For a primary this is my choice, understand that I shoot a ridiculous amount of paint by most pistol people's standards because I play in large class open play. Last weekend at Hell Survivors, there were 80some folks in open play.
Because several of the Mercenaries(A home team that can be 'rented' by the highest bidders in the big games, the Mercs are TOUGH and with their Eclipse sponsorship are running all Egos) and several of us regulars wanted to play together the refs set the teams at 30-50 and I ended up shooting 450rds in 4, 15min games through my Miltec G2 alone. Good Times!!

For out of the box fun(with only the quickchange adapters for the mags) the TAG8 can't be beat, though.
You can just buy it, 3 mags with adapters and a holster and you're ready to rock! This gun normally rides as my sidearm to my Miltec pistol.
If you're going to wear the gun holstered for any period, especially during daylong scenario play, this is the gun, as the BBs magazines end up vertical in the holster, the paint compresses as you run and the spring will not let it return to shape. The mag of the TAG rides parallel to the ground and is much kinder to your paint.
The TAG cannot maintain the rate of fire of the BBs even if you have the supply of mags and has some shootdown(vel drop) in rapid fire.

A Palmer Stroker is more in initial outlay, but worth it in the long run over a TAG8, if you're really going to use it as a primary.
In rapid fire and general ease of use in longer play the stroker rules over the TAG, but it's big and heavy if you carry it alot holstered. The fact that they use inexpensive 10rd tubes to load makes them cheaper than a TAG with 6 mags(a friend of mine runs with that many).
They can be made just about any way you want!

I guess my best advice is that you will have to try the different styles for yourself to really know. Borrowing different pistols to use is the best way to go, because many folks are turned off of pistol play because the choice of pistol they started with was the wrong one for them.

Rob

sparky 11-13-2007 05:34 PM

Resale wise, PPS Squalls/PGP Strokers are going to be the best. The TAC8's are decent for resale, along with the rest of the BB pistols.

Quailty wise, the PPS pistols and the TAC8's will blow the others out of the water. I can't say I've seen too many pistols last too long without something breaking.

Only really bad thing about TAC8's I've noticed on how you have to load the 12 grams, and I've noticed quite a few detent strips inside the barrels have broke.

450 rounds in a pistol in 15 mins!!!! Wow!