mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Sidearms (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/)
-   -   PGP Stroker vs Tiberius (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/sidearms/28739-pgp-stroker-vs-tiberius.html)

Carl Hungus 12-28-2007 10:16 PM

PGP Stroker vs Tiberius

Hello

I've PMed a couple pistoliers on this site asking their opinions on primary semi pistol playing, but I thought I'd try to get as much info as I could before placing my WTB thread. I'm looking to phase into semi pistol playing, with a 2nd as a backup. AgentSmith has been very generous with his advice about Miltec's and his mods, (and pistoliering in general). But since I might be able to raise a few hundred with the sale of some PGPs, I'm entertaining the thought of going with a Palmer piece, specifically a PGP Stroker/mini-Squall. Not looking for a hopper or CA setup. But maybe the Tac 8s are a better way, if you're spending a fair amount on extra cartridges. I was thinking about a Squall but the are a bit pricey and large seeming. Anyone else play pistol as a primary and like or dislike their Strokers? Love another gun like the Tac 8, for example?
Don't seem to be many choices out there for a high end semi pistol.
Thanks as always for any tips

Heebs 12-28-2007 10:19 PM

If it means anything I took a PGP stroker over a TAC 8.

I prefer 10 round tubes to mags, in the end if you get a TAC8 and a few mags you've already spend the same amount as a PGP stroker.

Carl Hungus 12-28-2007 10:26 PM

Besides the mag issue, which is a big one for me, did you find the ergonomics or performance to be better in the Stroker as well?

CrazyBoy78 12-28-2007 10:31 PM

I've gotta say that if you're gonna go primary with a pistol, choose one that'll give ya a 10-ball capacity. I've got 2 T8's, I've owned a couple of Zeuses and I also have a Squall. The biggest problem with the T8's is the mag issue. 8 shots and heavy mags prevent you from carrying a lot (unless you're a pack mule - the mags feel like they weigh almost as much as the empty T8).

Think of it this way: if you're playing short games, the T8's awesome. If you're gonna be doing an all day scenario, it'll get old fast. The best solution, should you choose the T8, is to get maybe 4 mags and carry a few cut-down 10-round tubes (so they carry 8) and some 12-grams. That way, you can reload the mags in the field and not have to carry a ton of them.

Heebs 12-28-2007 10:40 PM

The PGP grip fits my hands perfectly, I dont even want to get a 45 frame.

Carl Hungus 12-28-2007 10:46 PM

I'm still new to paintball, so I haven't really explored the scenario world yet. Although in time I'm sure it will appeal to me when I find some events in the East Coast and people to play with. I suppose for now it would be more for woods/rec-ball, and junkyard speedballish setups. 15 min elimination/CTF type thing. Maybe the occasional indoor speedball field in the winter.
But the weight issue of the mags is something I hadn't thought of. I really wish they designed those better, a Tac 8 seems so close yet not quite right.
What do you think of your Squall? Is it a good size, or too much?

Carl Hungus 12-28-2007 10:48 PM

Oh cool. I was thinking about getting 45 grips on it. Good to know that they're nice without having to change the frame. Those are PMI grips right?

CrazyBoy78 12-28-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hungus (Post 274928)
I'm still new to paintball, so I haven't really explored the scenario world yet. Although in time I'm sure it will appeal to me when I find some events in the East Coast and people to play with. I suppose for now it would be more for woods/rec-ball, and junkyard speedballish setups. 15 min elimination/CTF type thing. Maybe the occasional indoor speedball field in the winter.
But the weight issue of the mags is something I hadn't thought of. I really wish they designed those better, a Tac 8 seems so close yet not quite right.
What do you think of your Squall? Is it a good size, or too much?

Love the Squall. .45 Blazer frame on it. Fun shooter. But keep in mind, a Squall is basically a cut-down Typhoon. It's got some weight to it but I like how it points (the extra weight in the front helps whereas the T8 is very light and points less easily, if you get what I mean.)

From what you describe, a T8 should be fine. Or you can get yourself a cheaper Zeus, etc... kinda marker so you can see if you even *like* playing with a pistol as primary. At least that way you're not dropping hundreds of buxxors on something you're not sure you're gonna like.

Heebs 12-28-2007 10:56 PM

I like the PMI grips but the stroker I have has battle grips, my goal is to get a squall at some point.

freedom 12-28-2007 11:35 PM

another pistolier joins the fold... :D

squall. stroker. TAC8. had 'em all...