mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Smart Parts / GOG (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/smart-parts-gog/)
-   -   My Woodstalker Ion (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/smart-parts-gog/107932-my-woodstalker-ion.html)

uv_halo 02-08-2010 09:22 PM

My Woodstalker Ion
 
Some of you may have seen this on other forums or some pics in my Annual Duracoat Review. Posting here for reference purposes and for those who haven't seen it.

Background- Starting in 89-90, I still haven't gotten comfortable with Double Triggers. Back when electros first came out with single finger triggers, I couldn't afford them. Eventually, SP released the Ion and what I saw was a highly customizable platform. In July of 2006, I started contacting aftermarket companies to see if I could spur any of them to release a single trigger frame and trigger. Unfortunately nobody took me up on it. So, I then set off to look at doing it myself. My first thought was to see if I could obtain CAD files, modify them and then have a CAD shop produce one. So, in September of 2006, I gave Smart Parts a call. Interestingly enough, the receptionist passed me directly to Hans Semelsberger, the designer / engineer behind the Ion. Unfortunately, I was rebuffed.

So, I decided I would have to just hack apart a frame myself. So, with a Dremel tool and some JB weld, I went to work. I finished the first version (Qloaded) of this gun (paintjob and all), in Nov. 2007- just about the same time as Smart Parts released the SP-1. Maybe there's a connection?

So, enough of the story, here's the pics:
http://images17.fotki.com/v524/photo...08Small-vi.jpg

http://images56.fotki.com/v1601/phot...23Small-vi.jpg

Features:
  • Stock Frame modded for single finger trigger guard and hump
    I can't get used to double finger triggers; the grip mounting of the membrane caused the wires to have to bend too much inside the grip. The guard on this is strong enough to hold the marker upside down from it and it won't budge.
  • NDZ Trigger cut for single finger
  • Stock Breech with cut down feedneck
    I took the stock feedneck and cut it down so that it's flush with the breech. Reason: to cover the exposed threads that are present when you use a DTI2/3 body
  • Deadlywind DTI3 Tactical Body with 'Bobbed Tail' and Deadlywind BOB Tail Cap
    This improves upon the DTI3's BOB design by giving a more direct access to the firecan since I would not be using an m98 stock and, it shaves a little weight.
  • NDZ Spring Detents
  • AKALMP 2-Liter Plus Dual Regulator
  • Virtue EZ-On 2.0
  • Virtue OLED Board
  • Virtue Laser Eyes
  • SP 360 QEV
  • Deadlywind Hollowpoint bolt w/ aluminum bolt stalk
  • SP Freak Back / AA Apex Tip
  • AGD Warp Feed with “Big Cell Mod” and Intellinked to Virtue Board via RF Port.
  • PTP Warp Feed Adapter (Modified with overbore inlet) and custom stovepipe.
  • Custom Picatinny Rail Riser (designed by me and built by UMS)
  • ADCO 30mm Dot sight
    While the sight itself has held up to some serious knocks, the lens covers have been replaced twice.
  • Old school 'No Name' Air Thru Stock
    This stock was originally on My Line SI Bushmaster When I started running two regulators and an expansion chamber. It is about half as light as the more common “T-style” Air-thru stocks made by TASO.
  • BT Folding Foregrip
    Mounted backwards since I don't use it vertically but as an under-barrel grip location much like a hunting rifle.
  • Custom, four color (2 color fades), digi cam pattern in Duracoat
  • Custom MARPAT feedtube and Warp Feed Covers.

Here it is in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENq1kry82A8

nhmercracer 02-14-2010 11:47 PM

Looks great!

PhileyOFish 02-18-2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uv_halo (Post 1161506)
in Nov. 2007- just about the same time as Smart Parts released the SP-1. Maybe there's a connection?

lawl, maybe. I know what you mean in regards to electros with single triggers. I love the SP-1. Sweet gun :thumbup:

druid 02-18-2010 06:13 AM

very nice. I see you were inspired by my Warp covers on my A5 :D

maninblack 02-20-2010 03:12 PM

Cool, despite the inherit wrongness in mixing AGD and SP stuff together :P

I use a warp also and love it! :)

uv_halo 02-23-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhmercracer (Post 1170378)
Looks great!

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhileyOFish (Post 1175555)
lawl, maybe. I know what you mean in regards to electros with single triggers. I love the SP-1. Sweet gun :thumbup:

Thanks! Back in the day, when most electros had single finger triggers and sight rails, I couldn't afford one. I have an SP-1 myself as I'm positioning it to be my backup gun for my T9 with FS rounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid (Post 1175605)
very nice. I see you were inspired by my Warp covers on my A5 :D

Actually, you just gave me motivation :p You see, I had used marpat as tube cover back when it was qloaded. I transferred that idea over to the warp feed hosing. I was sitting on the fence about trying to duracoat the warp feed, or to just build a cover when I saw yours. I thought- it doesn't look half bad so I said 'screw the time, cost and effort of doing the duracoat, just build a cover' :D How do you keep yours on? Mine's open in the back (for easy access to battery compartment and feed button) and I use two attached velcro straps (one on the top and one on the rear) to hold it on and it works pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 1179350)
Cool, despite the inherit wrongness in mixing AGD and SP stuff together :P

I use a warp also and love it! :)

I agree but, AGD did give me some help in doing it (they passed me to a very knowledgeable former AGD technician who happened to be an acquaintance of mine) :P

On a related note, I find it very sad that just about every paintball marker manufacturer out there is stuck on completely integrating every piece they can... It results in things like the 'tactical angel kit'... Honestly, I think SP more or less screwed up and did something right when they were trying to just keep manufacturing costs down on the Ion, when they ultimately made something that could have just about every single piece replaced with aftermarket components that could be relatively easily manufactured, allowing for total user customization.

Sweet Tooth 02-23-2010 01:20 AM

Why are there two scuba tanks sitting in the chrono range covered in paint?


I want them. :)

druid 02-23-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uv_halo (Post 1183181)
Actually, you just gave me motivation :p You see, I had used marpat as tube cover back when it was qloaded. I transferred that idea over to the warp feed hosing. I was sitting on the fence about trying to duracoat the warp feed, or to just build a cover when I saw yours. I thought- it doesn't look half bad so I said 'screw the time, cost and effort of doing the duracoat, just build a cover' :D

How do you keep yours on? Mine's open in the back (for easy access to battery compartment and feed button) and I use two attached velcro straps (one on the top and one on the rear) to hold it on and it works pretty good.

LOL...thanks. I too considered duracoat but thought better of it.

Yeah...I bought a few yards of MARPAT on EBay for a project involving my daughter's scenario vest. After I was done with it, I have about a yard x 50" left. I made a paper template to go over/around the Warp and it attaches over the TOP with two bands of Velcro and one big "flap" underneath to access the battery door - as opposed to the 'rear' on yours. Mine also sports the 12V mod so 'power' is not an issue. I've not needed to use the "advance" button so I never made a provision to have direct access to it...but I can get to it by just pushing the cover and it turns [if I need to]. I also have an on/off slider switch installed onto the back of mine so I needed direct access to it...which is why I left the back [faces me] open.

uv_halo 02-24-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth (Post 1183202)
Why are there two scuba tanks sitting in the chrono range covered in paint?


I want them. :)

I'm assuming that they were past hydro. They've been there for years now :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid (Post 1183346)
LOL...thanks. I too considered duracoat but thought better of it.

Yeah...I bought a few yards of MARPAT on EBay for a project involving my daughter's scenario vest. After I was done with it, I have about a yard x 50" left. I made a paper template to go over/around the Warp and it attaches over the TOP with two bands of Velcro and one big "flap" underneath to access the battery door - as opposed to the 'rear' on yours. Mine also sports the 12V mod so 'power' is not an issue. I've not needed to use the "advance" button so I never made a provision to have direct access to it...but I can get to it by just pushing the cover and it turns [if I need to]. I also have an on/off slider switch installed onto the back of mine so I needed direct access to it...which is why I left the back [faces me] open.

I guess the overall shape of mine is roughly like a square with only the front edge and bottom edge sewn shut. The .5" velcro strap across the top opening keeps it from falling downwards and, the velcro strap on the back keeps it from sliding forward.

I never did the on/off mod. One thing I did do when I did the Big Cell mod was I used a viewloader battery contact board (rewired to do parallel) so I don't have to mess with battery leads. If I decide to mess with wiring again, I have another contact board that I could mod for the 12v, and I'll redo the wiring so that I can swap between the two boards.

peachesaretasty 02-24-2010 08:22 PM

BEAUTIFUL. I love it. Fantastic job.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC