mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
eemnes finest

AKA Fan
mech ion leaking

Just installed my mech kit in my ion but it's leaking from the bolt.
It leaks when the bolt is in the "back" position... I use a orange nano bolt with extreme upgrade kit. But if I change it for the bolt I got with the kit it still leaks. Cleaned and greased all the orings but this doesn't do anything.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?
tgforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Try replacing the 2 front breech orings if its leaking with both bolts.
Do you have a QEV installed?Clean it also,also check the orings at the base of all your banjo fittings.
I also use a drop of super glue on my hose barbs to keep the from leaking
A good way to check for leaks is to use bubble blowing solution on a Q tip,put it around fitting to see if you have any leaks
Good luck,I have 2 mech ions,there currently my go to guns and I love them
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

So you are sure it's leaking down the barrel?
If so, it is USUALLY to bolt or breech o-rings.
I have found that some of the SP o-rings don't have very good tolerances, try swapping out the o-rings in the breech for fresh replacements.

How big is the leak?
Is the bolt being held all the way back?

I'm assuming this Ion worked fine with the Orange nano extreme kit before it was meched?

I actually have both an Ion with the orange extreme kit, and a mech, but not in the same gun.
From my understanding though, it should work.

Because it leaked with both bolts, I would suspect the o-rings in the breech...

ZDSPB has great Ion info: ZDS Paintball - Ion Troubleshooting - Leaking/Shooting
cheetonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
eemnes finest

AKA Fan
Thanks for your quick response.
Used the normal nano before. Didn't have the extreme kit in it before.
Leaks down the barrel only when the bolt is in the back position. When you fire and hold the trigger its not leaking.
Will get some new orings and clean everything ones more.

Just a question, how efficient is the mech with the normal bolt?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Depends what you mean by "normal" bolt.

The stock SP Ion bolt will be very inefficient due to continual venting of gas while the trigger is held down and the bolt is in the forward position. The orange unicorn kit WITHOUT the nano extreme add-on would have this issue also.

However if you bought the dual-tail-oring'd bolt with the Mech kit, then the marker should be pretty damn efficient. This should hold true for the Orange nano extreme kit.

How bad is the leak? Slight? Or gushing air? If it is slight, I still think one of your breech o-rings is worn, especially since it happened with both bolts you tried.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
eemnes finest

AKA Fan
It's a slight leak.
I have the dual oring bolt. Just wondering if its efficient enough or its better to use the nano bolt. If the dual oring one could get more then 6 pods from a 68/45 its fine. Like to use my mech for scenario games and normally I carry a full hopper and 6 pods.
Will visit my shop asap to get some new orings.
Think they will be surprised to see a mech ion. Think I'm the only one to have one here in the Netherlands
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Nice! I love tinkering with Ion's.

I would actually be interested to see a real life efficiency comparison between the orange nano and the dual-o-ringed bolt, I would expect the nano to be able to run at slightly lower pressure for the same velocity, but in reality it may not make a huge difference.

As for pods per 68/4500, I can't really speak to that, but the efficiency shouldn't be much less than an electro powered ion.

If you want the best possible efficiency, grab one of Yoda's Closed-Bolt Conversion kits, at 270 psi, those can theoretically shoot over 2200 balls per 68/45.

I recently put together a mech closed-bolt ion, and though I haven't been able to take it to the field yet, I love it, very different sound signature, but shoots nicely
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgforce View Post
It's a slight leak.
I have the dual oring bolt. Just wondering if its efficient enough or its better to use the nano bolt. If the dual oring one could get more then 6 pods from a 68/45 its fine. Like to use my mech for scenario games and normally I carry a full hopper and 6 pods.
Will visit my shop asap to get some new orings.
Think they will be surprised to see a mech ion. Think I'm the only one to have one here in the Netherlands
Havent done any official test but it should be able to shoot that much paint with your setup if you have a QEV
Try cleaning the breech orings before you replace them,if theres a bit of dirt or paint you may be able to salvage them untill you can get new ones
Before the eNMey came out people were mystified by my mech ion
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Radical!

People are still mystified by the mech ion. Or at least confused. Doesn't help that i still have the original power button on the frame, lol.

I've also got an Orange Nano w/ Extreme upgrade. It works, but i never got much use with that setup to test efficiency benefits. Shortly after installing it, i moved, didn't play for a while, then ordered an XE body kit, which meant i couldn't use the Nano anymore. But the theory is still sound - Nano Extreme has the dual-oring tail, creating the necessary seal for the mech ion to operate, and is spring-assisted.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
eemnes finest

AKA Fan
Small update I've changed the breech orings and the donut orings but it still leaks. Seems like it leaks from the bolt itself. With the bolt that comes with the kit and with the nano bolt.
Don't know what to check next....
Any ideas?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Smart Parts / GOG