mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

SP1 project continues

SP1 project:

If you have ever followed one of my projects, you know I go to the extreme and I can never stick with the game plan. My longest paintball project took almost 6 yrs to complete.

So as time went on and old injuries caught up, paint guns got heavier. I had never shot a VIBE or an SP1 in my life. Then one day Titus had a “Rental Vibe sale”. I bought one and have shot one since.

Then I decided to look into an SP1. Since Smart Parts closed it’s doors, people were selling these left and right, because parts were now hard to come buy.
Well Smart Parts had re-emerged as GOG. Which was perfect for me, cause I needed repair parts.

So I do all I can to learn about the SP1 thru my VIBE and on line. I then found one on MCB for cheap. It had a broken board that needed the ON/OFF switch repaired and the board needed re-flash.

No problem, I had a few spare stock boards and it was just a $10 repair for button and re-flash. So off to GOG the board goes and in goes the new board.

I didn’t stop there. I replaced the bolt, feed neck, detents, grips mock suppressor and then dropped in a Virtue board. I have a new breech with EYEs, but what fun is that? Besides I'm saving it for another project

I was going to add on rail covers, but everyone was doing that. I had thought about Hydrographics, but I was saving another gun for that.

As with all my projects, I normally sit on them till I see something on line or on my travels and adventures. So I get into Face Book a couple yrs back and discover new things. I discover Hill Billy 223.

This guy does some amazing Dura coat work with real firearms. I had seen some of his work on Air Soft guns and on one paintball gun. The problem is, no one does a review when they have something like this done or it’s just a few sentences or maybe a paragraph. Yea that really says a lot “NOT”.

Project progress, what was done, changed and never happened:

Project Updates:

8 March 2013:

Dirty Girl has decided to run off to Beauty school:

That's right, my SP1 is getting a make over. Pictures and story to follow. If you were on my Face Book you got a taste of what I'm going to do. I deleted it for now.

So the SP1 was still looking a little dull. I'm not very partial to a black gun, but then again paintball refletcs one's personality. As mentioned in this write up, this was an on going project. I have finally decided what to to with her. I could follow what everyone else was going to do, just put on rail covers and throw on a bunch of lights and such, but that would only make me like everyother Mil Simmer out there.

I'll update with more pictures later. I want to be the first to see this one

Here she is all torn apart ready for shipping:

The place I am using has not done many paintball guns. They are more of a real Fire Arms place.
Since I don't want to send my guns thru the mail for fear of communist confiscation.

Who I am using:

www.hillbilly223.com

Later,
Blackrain

21 June 2012

I'm not even sure if I'll be hydrographing this. I did buy new rail covers for the gun. Figured the OD Green would give it a new look.

4 April 2012:

Since no one really comes here,I have decided the final hydrograph pattern. I'm just going to theme this gun and Barb wire the other.

3 March 2012:

It seems that I have been dragging this project along. So I have traded for it's final upgrade before she goes off to hydrographing. I have decided to drop in a new Virtue board. So now this project is 99% complete

Updates from 1 year ago:

3 Apr 2011:

Let's update this thread a little bit. I have installed new detents. I've had the board repaired by GoG and have installed a new Orange bolt. The bolt actually reduces any kick the gun had and actually quiets the gun sound signature. Not bad for $20.

I had to rebuild the regulator last night. It had an internal leak and I don't know when the last time it was serviced. So a little Monkey Poo and some new Orings and I was good to go.

This project is moving along. Nothing really left to do but play a game with it and send it to Oregon Hydrographics for a new look. One good thing I did do was buy enough repair hose to fix the hose going to the ASA if it ever blows. GoG is actually being very copperative with selling repair parts.

As far as GoG,they have been very good with repair and customer service. I have no need to complain. So more updates to come as time goes on.

9 March 2011:

Well I was told that solenoid hose is hard to replace. A little spit and some slight pressure and I was ready to go. So the SP1 is now up and running. No air leaks and shooting just fine. On another note,I will be sending in some boards this week to be reflashed and have an on/off switch repaired. So far Gog service as been great.

22 Feb 2011

I replaced all the orings. Replaced the detents. Put in a new board due to a bad on/off switch. The light is burnt out. The new board has been adjusted to HPA program and PSP program. I did run into one problem. The solenoid is leaking and that has to be replaced. I'm sending off the old board to GoG for repair.

So this project is at exactly one month. Have a plan on what I want done. Just waiting on some special grips I had made.

Just ordered some tubing and a new solenoid. So this gun should be up and running in a week. I'll need it for later events.

14 Jan 2011

Vert feed arrived today. It's on. Guess I'll add the detents and board this week.

15 Jan 2011

Freak Back arrived and installed.

22 Jan 2011

Just got word that the freak front is on the way. This project is coming together.

30 Sept 2011:

Well this was suppose to be a fast project,but I got very involved with using this gun during play. I'm told my Son will pay for some new Hydrographing as a Birthday present. So it's time to pick a pattern. This one will be different,so have to carfully pick

So here we go again. Let's do another quick project. This time we are going to do an SP1. I have always liked this gun. I'll probably make it a travel gun. They are simple to maintain and they are just a VIBE in a different body. I don't have this gun at the moment,it's in the mail on it's way to me.

The gun pictures you see are the pictures that the owner sent me. Once I get it,I'll take it all apart and give it a good lube job and several new parts and new look.You'll see alot of the same pictures from the VIBE project,because alot of the parts being replaced are the same ones I replaced on the VIBE.

First off,I would like to thank Tblazer13 (MCB Member) for selling this gun to me.

The key point to any type of build,be it fast or slow is dependablity. If you've built enough project guns you know who you can go to and who you can't. The key point is to make a good looking reliable gun that people will notice and want to know more about. You don't have to always use the most expensive,sometimes a little polishing will do the trick and save you large amounts of cash.

By the time I'm finished with this gun I will be into cost over run, and some will say why didn't you just buy a new gun. Well what fun is that? I still would have bought the same replacement parts and done the hydrographing. In the long run it would have cost me more. Because of the VIBE project,I have enough new spare parts to maintain both markers for a while.

All though the new GoG G1 offers multi feeds and a new fresh look:

UPDATE:

Multiple feeds are something I thought that all companies should put on their guns. It gives the player lots of options,and plus all of us have different playing styles. However if you have an older SP1 and want to buy a G1 just for the feed system,just call up GoG and order the drop in body kit. You get the multi feeds and a new body for under $40.00. Now if you want all the bells and whistles,just order a new G1,the breech is EYE ready.

The SP1 Offers center feed only, which is what I want. Sure it's used, but those are the best guns to buy. You just hope the person who owned it took good care of it. Judgeing from the pictures below,it looks like it has. Can't beat an $80 gun,especially since I've seen these selling for $150+ used.

This gun has a multi fire board and HPA/CO2 ready.

Here is the gun:

Repair and replacement parts:

Just the general repairs such as detents, Metal clamping feed, Oring replacement for bolt and regulator.

New Board:

Well I'm told the board light doesn't work,but guess what,I have extra boards. I knew these would come in handy. I'll eventually have the originol board repaired.

Freak Back:

As with all my guns,I try to use a freak barrel system. I like the kits, what can I say. It always seems I find a Freak Back when I need one. This one I found on Ebay for $20 shipped. It's used and an older model,but who cares,it still works.

This item has arrived and is installed.

Freak Front:

As with all my projects I try and put a chrome part on it. This time it will be the Freak Front. I bought this from Guardian_Odin on MCB. This will add the look that I want from this marker.

I like how chrome and black look. Either color goes with any other color.

Orange Bolt:

Picked up two of these for $20 each. Might as well, just can't pass up a deal

So now that all the repair parts are in, it's been cleaned, serviced and tested,it's off for a little trip.

Body off to refurb:

Hill Billy 223 Urban Zombie

I chose this because this kind of matches my personality. It's different, I like Red, and for some reason everyone on the West Coast is in love with Zombies and Vampires. Go figure, cause I don't see what the fasination is with something that can screw up your life :rotfl:

Grips:

Stinger Custom Bio Hazard Grips

Had a hard time deciding which grips to buy. Basically these are custom made. These can change. If they don't fit the marker, I'll buy the originol I had in mind. Grips are impotant to me. They can make or brake a project. I'm not really into the brand names like most people are. If I can buy custom made I will.

To me the grips have to reflect the project Throwing on "Contract Killer" grips just isn't custom to me. Unless it absolutly fits the project I'm working on and I got them cheap or free. If all else fails, "Clear Grips" work well till you can decide what you want.

Screw kit:

I bought a red KILA screw kit. Then after I thought about it, I called 223 and asked if he could paint all the screw heads in the NEON Zombie green he was using. Not a problem he said. I have another SP1 that I have a great idea for. I always use red in all my gun projects any way.

Hose Kit:

I bought my hose kit from our very own MCB member O-NOTHING. He kind of got a spoiler of what was to come for this project. I thought going all the way on this one would make this whole gun project uniform

Back From Hill Billy 223:

Last edited by blackrain; 04-05-2013 at 04:21 AM.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have 2 SP-1s now, very interested in how it turns out.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
psunitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psunitro View Post
I have 2 SP-1s now, very interested in how it turns out.
I think you will like it. I take pride in my personal projects. If you need any help with your SP1 let me know. I guess I should really start an SP1/Vibe section in my Team Forum.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Screw kit came in today wrong version. Here we go again.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Now with upgraded information and new pictures at the bottom of page

Later,
Blackrain
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Looking good i saw Hillbilly 223 and his work on fb,hows the customer service and turn around times?
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Looking good i saw Hillbilly 223 and his work on fb,hows the customer service and turn around times?
Customer service to me is fine. My gun was gone for over 20 days. So if you can't wait that long or you need it back in a hurry, wait till the winter to have it done.

Iam not going to try and change anyone's mind here, but remember he has contracts with large companies. It is best to call him, email him a picture of what you want, get a price. He is not an airsmith, so he doesn't really know our friction points. You should take pictures and write clear notes to help him along, with a contact phone number.

If you notice in my picture, the back side of the SP1 body was not done. For one it isn't seen and two it is a seal area for the board bangos.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Cool thanks
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm going to take a hand at hydro dipping my Enmey myself.
How much harder can it be than doing real carbon fibre on a micro mag?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to o_nothing

Looks awesome man
Even with the sneak peak I still wasn't expecting that
Should have your custom order for you next week

O NOtHING

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Smart Parts / GOG