mcarterbrown.com

Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
engineer minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
Completely eliminating the stalk - which would obviously not work - would only gain you ~.12 cubic inches of volume. You start with ~1.3 cubic inches. You would see, realistically, only a 2-5% gain in volume, which does not correlate to efficiency at all.
So is it more about flow at that point than?
IOG
Also on customcockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Some people are penny wise, and dollar foolish.
Vitalsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

Without changing the overall operation of the system, it is about that more than volume changes.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #43 (permalink)
engineer minded

Quote:
Without changing the overall operation of the system, it is about that more than volume changes.
Changing the operation? Like with your two piece? Or total ion makeover?
IOG
Also on customcockers

Quote:
Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

The two piece works like a regular ion bolt until I get the spring setup sorted out, then it will operate differently. If a mech were to be setup like a Geo and use an external valve system to isolate the dump chamber, then it would also work differently. An electro with computer timed return of the bolt operates differently, and the system dynamics will have a much more important role (ability to retract quickly and shut off flow being much more important than just turning off the dump chamber).

So, in a typical mech ion setup that isolates the firing chamber from the air source via seals on the tail of the bolt and does nothing to try and capture chamber pressure via automatic bolt retraction, the ability to open quickly and flow like mad is more important than most factors. At least when the main firing seal is not being relocated (inner bolt stop o-ring), which almost none of them do (ours does, and some of the Lucky ones did).
Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

Would it be feasable and cost effective to create a dual oring tailpiece to be a bolt
on to an existing L7 bolt?Thought I might try chopping the tail of my Redz bolt and using some carbon or brass tubing as the shaft to combine the two pieces
Would standard carbon tube be strong enough and save weight over aluminuim?Carbon tube is relatively cheap at hobby shops,Ive used it to reinforce wing leading edges and struts for electric RC planes,not sure if the strength to weight savings for this application
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #46 (permalink)
engineer minded

Quote:
, the ability to open quickly and flow like mad is more important than most factors. At least when the main firing seal is not being relocated (inner bolt stop o-ring), which almost none of them do (ours does, and some of the Lucky ones did).
Two things

One the ability to open quickly.... Would it help to have a spring behind the tail to aid in the initial breaking of the suface tension of the orings and making the start of a cycle quicker. Like pocket the tail and set a spring in there.
And two when moving the firing seal position do you want to make it sooner or later in the shot?
IOG
Also on customcockers

Quote:

Last edited by Vitalsilence; 06-29-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can't put a tail on an L7, the bolt would be balanced backwards at all times and never move. At least not a tail that was the same size as the back bore in an Ion, you could sleeve that down I suppose.

Yes, a spring will help it move somewhat faster. Some systems it helps, others it isn't overly effective in. Some of the Lucky bolts were sprung forward, but I've never tested one to see with and without the spring how they perform.

You don't want to change it in the cycle, you want it as close to the ball as possible to minimize the volume the gas can expand to before doing useful work, which is wasteful.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #48 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

use an L7 in my SP1. You know it does have a dual tail piece that is inserted into the back area of the BOB. I don't see why this bolt wouldn't work on an Enmey? Maybe I'm missing something here, but has anyone actually put and L7 in the Enmey?

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #49 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
use an L7 in my SP1. You know it does have a dual tail piece that is inserted into the back area of the BOB. I don't see why this bolt wouldn't work on an Enmey? Maybe I'm missing something here, but has anyone actually put and L7 in the Enmey?

Later,
Blackrain
Yes.its been tried:

techt L7 bolt
Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post

Later,
Blackrain
Because the two tail o-rings have to MOVE to shut the dump chamber during the firing cycle. I don't know how many times I can repeat myself, BR

The L7 works in electro guns because the electro's control the bolt return via the solenoid open/close time, which does its thing regardless of how long you hold the trigger down. With the eNMEy, the bolt stays forward as long as you hold down the trigger, which is why it requires a bolt with a tail that has two o-rings, so that they will slide forward and the 2nd o-ring will then shut off the air passage to the dump chamber. Since the L7's plug doesn't move with the bolt, it doesn't close the chamber.

A single tail o-ringed SP1 bolt will do the same as an L7 bolt will- leak down the barrel as long as you hold the trigger forward. So unless you have a nearly robotic level of trigger control it will not give you consistent open/close times and will result in inefficiency and inconsistency.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Smart Parts / GOG