mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ion won't fire.

My son has an Ion that is giving me a challenging time. When I air it up the gage reads 150 psi and I can set it to vision off with the two quick blinks but nothing happens when the trigger is pulled. I should say that you hear a click like the (keyboard type) switch is being activated but nothing happens. I put a new energizer in it to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.
Any suggestions where I should look? For some strange reason I have never had a problem like this with my pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Check the o-rings on the bolt. Even a little damage to the sail o-ring (the biggest one on the bolt) can cause the gun not to fire.

Also, if you've messed with the dwell, it's possible that you've set it too low and/or the pressure is too low.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll check the O-rings tonight. I haven't touched any settings yet that I am aware of.
I've had some problems with the on/off switch so I am looking to change the pad. Is the Virtue button worth the extra $5 over the Epiphany replacement, or is there a better option?

Thanks

Quote:
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
no, 150 psi is more than enough. It's the dwell that needs adjusting, if all the orings are intact and greased properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
DisruptedGarage

If you can turn the board on, then it should work. Use the manual, and check all the settings. Even with the dwell at the lowest setting, the Ion should still fire. Check the capaciator and the board for physical damage. Using grip screws which are too long can damage the board.

Darn stock board has no "global reset".
You Must Learn The Ways Of The Brass.. The Brass will reveal itself only to those who are genuine in their pursuit. You must become open to The Brass in order to receive it. You will never find The Brass until you overcome your fear of truth. Truth and The Brass are one.
My MCB Feedback

W202 - Club202 is Back! W201

Other man stuff - The Garage Journal
nhmercracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Try pulling out the battery overnight to reset the board. That should rule out dwell without too much tinkering. Stock and upgrade ION boards are pretty easy to come by if all else fails. I think you could also verify air to the bolt...if I remember right I usually feel a little click when I air up an ION as the bolt seals. You can also unplug the eye cable to rule out eye related issues. Now that I think about it...I think I had a similar issue with an ION...didn't work with the stock eye plugged in. Could also be an obstruction stopping the bolt from moving...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I take the battery out after use all the time. To my knowledge I have not adjusted the settings at all. It has only been used twice since replacing the board with a new stock board. When I air it up there is no click or any other sound or motion at all. When the air is removed it retains the pressure in it regulator until I remove the regulator from the gun. The grip has stock screws so they shouldn't extend far enough to damage the solenoid but I will check it again. I will check with the eyes unplugged as well.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you have an after market trigger, the travel adjustment in the trigger could have backed off.
Virtue buton works well.
RJ
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

With the marker powered and aired down, you can hear the switch click correct?

Without air, power the marker up, turn off the eyes (unplugging them should make no difference) and pull the trigger. If the board itself is getting the signal from the switch then you should hear a really faint "beeping/chirp" kind of noise from the stock board.

If both of those things are happening....

Air the marker up, and try increasing the dwell 5 blinks at a time and see if it will begin to cycle. You can actually "look" at the dwell and see where it is. IIRC the stock dwell is 52 blinks. IF it is at the stock setting, and doesn't start to cycle within 10-15 blinks something else is wrong.

If you chopped a ball in it, then the paint could be gumming up the bolt. And as others have mentioned it could be a bad o-ring.

Technically the Ion should cycle at 150PSI, but I have seen many that actually run proper velocity closer to 180PSI totally stock. DO NOT run over 200PSI.

Ions are extremely simple to trouble shoot and work on. Might check the FAQ's on the Nation lots of good info there. If worst comes to worst every half assed paintball shop in the nation should be able to sort it out for you.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Had a similar problem right when I got mine, but all I did was replace my battery, reset the board, readjusted my pressure a bit and she worked great.
The manual for the Ion is actually really helpful so if you have it, I'd check in there for some info on reprogramming the board and such.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Smart Parts / GOG